JPI EDM-700 vs Insight G2 vs EI UBG-16

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
Looking for a basic 2 1/4" GEM to display CHT/EGT for a 4 cylinder fuel injected Lycoming. I don't need advanced leaning and I don't want to replace multiple other gauges. I just want an easy way to spot an abnormal cylinder. I have a primary EGT but can leave that in. These 3 seem to be the main candidates. All are priced in $1400-$1800 range. G2 appeals because of modern color display. Thoughts?

I have used the G2 in two planes over the last 10 years and they have been flawless.
The fuel totalizer is accurate to less than a gallon, the carb temp is very helpful, and I also have the OAT and volt meter. I like that I can see all 6 CHTs and EGTs at once, instead of cycling through them.

I like that I can see all 6 CHTs and EGTs at once, instead of cycling through them.

I have never used one of the CHT/EGT gauges where you cycle thru readings. How much more of a PITA is that? Seems like a GEM bar graph would be much easier to monitor at a glance.

My plane came with an EDM 800, which I'm modernizing ASAP with something this side of the millenium. The Insight also has an SD card interface whereas for the others it's more complicated to get data out... Another thing, I think it starts with the G3, there's engine vibration analysis and G-force recording in the Insight. Well, I didn't settle on an Insight because not primary enough but it seems more like an engine analyzer to me and the others are like digital gauges with alarms. Maybe the Insight would suit your purpose better.

Last edited:
All three of your choices are good units, and will provide the CHT/EGT info you want. Between those 3, I'd probably pick the Insight model, simply due to the color display, easier to read in different light, IMHO. One point, they may all have the capability, I don't know, but some may or may not be approved for primary use, allowing replacement of old gauges if desired, that may make a difference in choice, if it matters.

Back