JPI EDM-700 Reset button

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Okay the EDM-700 manual says the following:
Note: the RESET button is located on the rear of the instrument through a recessed hole. Use a small, insulated probe (the pointed end of a golf tee is ideal) to tap the RESET button.

To start the Alarm Limit Procedure [changing the parameter limits that trigger a warning], tap the RESET button. [...]

So it sounds like to access the Reset button you have to remove the instrument to get at the back, which means you have to have a battery or some other 12vDC power source hooked up to it, and not the airplane's bus. Or am I misreading this? Is there a simpler way that I'm missing? (a little embarrassed to even be asking this...)

You might be able to get down on your back and reach the reset button with the instrument installed. Just need someone else to turn on the battery while you press the button (or vice versa).

Joe

It is a software revision. Usually there should be enough slack in the cable to power the JPI after removing it, but if you have the later software, it isn't necessary.

On another related topic, I don't have the JPI or any engine instruments such as a fuel flow meter on the avionics buss. The install manual recommends that the unit be installed on the avionics buss, but I think that is a bad idea. A better idea is to install it on the main buss and use a separate on-off switch, which the install manual suggests if you don't have an avionics switch.

It is a software revision. Usually there should be enough slack in the cable to power the JPI after removing it, but if you have the later software, it isn't necessary.

On another related topic, I don't have the JPI or any engine instruments such as a fuel flow meter on the avionics buss. The install manual recommends that the unit be installed on the avionics buss, but I think that is a bad idea. A better idea is to install it on the main buss and use a separate on-off switch, which the install manual suggests if you don't have an avionics switch.

The airplanes with engine monitors I've flown have had them on the main bus, often with their own breaker instead of a switch. It's handy to have them on and working during start.

If its a software rev, it's an old one, mine has been in the bird and not touched for at least 12 years.

The airplanes with engine monitors I've flown have had them on the main bus, often with their own breaker instead of a switch. It's handy to have them on and working during start.
Yep, mine is on the main bus. I thought that was strange at first, but after troubleshooting this problem I totally agree, makes it a lot easier to tell what the bus voltage is with all the avionics off!

Yep, mine is on the main bus. I thought that was strange at first, but after troubleshooting this problem I totally agree, makes it a lot easier to tell what the bus voltage is with all the avionics off!
My EDM=760 was originally with power coming from the avionics bus per the install manual recommendation but I switched it to the main bus a while back because I wanted to see CHTs and EGTs right after starting.

The EDM-700 I had in a Bonanza years ago had the rear access reset button but it was mounted under the bottom of the panel (no room elsewhere) and accessing that button was easy. I prefer to use a non-metal tool to push any internal buttons like that since it's often easy to slip with a metal one and short something out on the circuit board the switch is mounted on. If your monitor is powered through a manually openable CB you can use that to apply power to the monitor while holding the reset button depressed.

Last edited:
Back