JPI EDM 700/800

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I just purchased a JPI EDM 800 engine analyzer. It is not installed yet and I am wrist and nose deep in the manual. My first impression is that the two lonely buttons with abbreviated names Skip and LP are woooeefulllyyyy inadequate to make for intuitive operation. I can see right now that I will have to have a cheat sheet handy for some time.

There are just too many Tap this then Hold that for 3 seconds while you then hold the other for 5 seconds and then immediately Tap the Skip button 4 times and hold both buttons for five seconds to get to this operation mode. My head hurts! Can others offer if they have difficulty remembering all the button presses for normal operations? :confused:

Gene

Flyers,
There are just too many Tap this then Hold that for 3 seconds while you then hold the other for 5 seconds and then immediately Tap the Skip button 4 times and hold both buttons for five seconds to get to this operation mode. My head hurts! Can others offer if they have difficulty remembering all the button presses for normal operations? :confused:
Gene

I have a JPI EMD 700 and don't have problems with the interface. The only time I have to look up the sequence is when I download data from the EDM to a laptop, which I do very infrequently.

Ryan

I've had an 800 for about 6 years in my Mooney and love it. The buttons will become automatic to you very quickly.

If you fly it on down to KSBY, I'll be happy to help, but it's not that easy to teach by words alone (viz., the issues with the manual).

I've had one for 10 years in my Tiger. For the stuff you really use frequently, once it is all set up, it's not bad to understand. You'll love it once it is installed and working. Make sure the probes are installed properly.

I will second the motion that it's not bad. I've had one in Atlas since 2002, and it is a fantastic addition to the panel. Once you've got it all set up, you just let it run, and observe. There's not much interaction required, as it cycles through everything you want to know continuously.

When we lost the #2 cylinder departing from Tallahassee, back in '04-ish, it was a "one glance" thing to determine the problem. Try THAT with a single-probe EGT.

For setup, you hold them both in, but it takes the book really to be useful.

For most operations, it's fairly easy. The left button advances and the right selects.

At least the presentation is a little better on the 830 but the button GUI is admittedly lame.

Back