JPI EDM 3.49 Firmware Update

JPI has new firmware for the EDM-730 and EDM-830, version 3.49, available here: https://www.jpinstruments.com/techni...are-downloads/.

As best as I can tell, all existing settings are carried over to the new firmware except the K Factor for Fuel Flow, so this is just an FYI to write it down before flashing 3.49.

This is annoying - there's no indication of the release date. Do I have the most recent firmware or is this one even more recent? I've asked that the release date be posted on the page. Since it begins EDM_15, we know it's this year.

By the way, I did install this update a few weeks ago...saved the settings except ---

1) all of a sudden my 730 is now an 830 display
2) everything relating to fuel flow was gone. Not just the KFactor, but everything - as if no fuel flow hardware was even installed.

By the way, the documentation is still 2009, and they know it needs to be updated but it's not a priority.

This is annoying...

Extremely annoying. They really need to publish a changelog with each version, and how hard would it be to send out email (they already have a mailing list) advising of the upgrade?

If your EDM is working, why upgrade?

My 830 likes to fail for low oil pressure a couple of times a year, usually on initial climbout. It's a glitch and doesn't last even long enough to record to the data stream, but it'll sure get your attention. I upgrade in hopes of killing that bug.

My 830 likes to fail for low oil pressure a couple of times a year, usually on initial climbout. It's a glitch and doesn't last even long enough to record to the data stream, but it'll sure get your attention. I upgrade in hopes of killing that bug.

Mine does the same thing... usually during cruise. I thought it was an intermittent connection but now it sounds like a bug.

I'm chasing a problem with my 830 not being able to dump the data logs and in talking with their tech support and asking about the upgrade I was told don't do it unless your having a issue now. They don't think the data logging issue is related but we will see.

Hardware people who throw out software changes like disposable diapers really annoy those of us who have to do real software changes ...

does anyone know what this upgrade does? (besides breaking the FF function)

does anyone know what this upgrade does? (besides breaking the FF function)

During my short flight (I aborted for the FF Low problem), I noticed the font was different and a little "bolder" as were the CHT/EGT bars (wider). Seems like they were looking to make it more readable. And after the flight when I was downloading the data, it appears the menu labels (for the two buttons) were more detailed. Later, I also scrolled through all the other settings to make sure no other settings were screwed up and it appears the menu (button) labels are all more detailed. It looks like they went to a narrower font for the button labels to get more characters on the screen... Think Arial Thin. Other than that, only God and some Chinese programmer knows what changes were made to the code.

Before I read this thread I had no idea the firmware of my EDM830 was updatable. After two minutes of reading this thread I'm just going to forget that I ever learned it was. My 830 works just fine (I think?).

They made small UI tweaks last year on the 830 and I asked and they told me I'd have to send my unit back for the upgrade. Frankly, it wasn't worth it. I've got no problems currently with the operation of mine.

I've refused to upgrade ever since "Joe" decided to make the data format proprietary.
I thank FSM that my JDI EDM-800 has no Internet connectivity.

For some reason JPI just refuses to say what these upgrades are for/do.

I sent an email requesting information and the response I got was "if your unit is working ok you don't need to upgrade"

they never answered one of the questions I asked.

Back