JPI 830 Settings?

Marauder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marauder
Just got my plane back from annual. I had a JPI 830 installed and a few questions came up while I was setting it up.

> What is the FDR setting used for? I found it in the setup screens but found no mention of it in the manual and it seems to be a mystery on the Internet as well.
> For those with Garmin GTNs, did you use the GPS-6 setting? It seems to show data based on GPS but my return flight was too quick to see if it is accurate.
> If I understand the % HP calibration correctly, all I need to do is fly a 70% HP profile below 10k and adjust the unit to 70%, correct?
> Why do you think they did not include a fuel pressure option?

Thanks!

The FDR turns on the RS-232 output for some external (not documented) Flight Data Recorder. It's in the installation instructions. It makes no difference if you turn it on or off if you've not got that mystery device actually connected I think. I'd leave it as N.

Yep, you pretty much decide where you think the HP number ought to be and then set the device to match. All I did was pick some values off the power table for the engine and use those.

As for fuel pressure, maybe they couldn't find a reasonable transducer. The fuel flow seems to use a Shadin. Again, I suppose you'll have to ask them. On an injected engine, flow pretty much gives you all you need to know. Unlike my old fuel system on the Gopher engine where the pressure gave you a little advance notice on the tank being run dry, the IO-550 just is binary. You're running with pressure and then there's no pressure and it gets quiet.

The FDR turns on the RS-232 output for some external (not documented) Flight Data Recorder. It's in the installation instructions. It makes no difference if you turn it on or off if you've not got that mystery device actually connected I think. I'd leave it as N.

Yep, you pretty much decide where you think the HP number ought to be and then set the device to match. All I did was pick some values off the power table for the engine and use those.

As for fuel pressure, maybe they couldn't find a reasonable transducer. The fuel flow seems to use a Shadin. Again, I suppose you'll have to ask them. On an injected engine, flow pretty much gives you all you need to know. Unlike my old fuel system on the Gopher engine where the pressure gave you a little advance notice on the tank being run dry, the IO-550 just is binary. You're running with pressure and then there's no pressure and it gets quiet.

Thanks! I found another thing in the menu but not documented in the pilot's handbook. CO Guardian? Is this a CO monitor that can be attached?

The mechanic used the same fuel flow transducer as my EI FP-5L. The EI unit does have a pressure reading though.

I moved over from a GEM 602 that worked great but lacked any of the digital read-outs. Nice to see numbers and also be able to download the data.

Back