JPI 730 - Cherokee 140

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I think if there was anything I would change on my Cherokee it would be to add a JPI 730. The current needle gauges for fuel quantity and engine instruments work, but they aren't exactly incredibly precise either. I like to window shop for my Cherokee and think about the cool expensive things I can put in it someday :)

Looks like by the time you have the options checked your looking at $3000-$3400 depending on if you do that fuel flow transducer. My guess is it is a relatively labor intensive thing to install so that probably adds another few thousand.

Those of you have put one of these in your airplane - how much did it cost you? What do you guys consider to be the must have options for a Cherokee 140?

Thanks

Must have for a 140? Avgas and oil. Lipstick for a porcine.

That from a guy who put an Aspen, a 430w, and a UBG 16 in a turbo Dakota so YMWV.

Must have for a 140? Avgas and oil. Lipstick for a porcine.

That from a guy who put an Aspen, a 430w, and a UBG 16 in a turbo Dakota so YMWV.

Yea I know what you mean. Just figured I'd ask about it I guess.

I would get a calibrated 'fuel straw'. After that a 4 cylinders CHT gauge at the most, FLY.

Replace all the lights with LEDs. Save huge amount of amps on the electrical system, you're more visible to everyone else, and lights are more reliable.

Go with 830, comes with most of the optional stuff other than carb temp probe. 23 hrs to install a 830 in my case. If u have tannis heater, plan for more money to spend to upgrade their probes or whatever it is, cuz u need that place for JPI probe

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Replace all the lights with LEDs. Save huge amount of amps on the electrical system, you're more visible to everyone else, and lights are more reliable.

Got an LED landing light but rest of the lights aren't

I would get a calibrated 'fuel straw'. After that a 4 cylinders CHT gauge at the most, FLY.

Yea I got a fuel straw and it's one of the best things I bought so far

on a similar note, how much does it cost to replace all the lights in a Cherokee with LED? is it just replacing the bulb? or changing the whole socket?

on a similar note, how much does it cost to replace all the lights in a Cherokee with LED? is it just replacing the bulb? or changing the whole socket?

The landing light I think was $300-400. I have no idea what cost would be for led nav lights

Nav lights $30 or so for the green one $75 for the red one, $30 for the white position light. You want the paddle style lamp for the red one, the cheaper version isn't nearly bright enough.
Spruce sells them, takes a couple of minutes to swap them.

@CC268 pass on the 730, FS 450 is plenty good enough.

If you need something for engine temps, get a g1 insight w/ carb heat option, worked perfect for me in my 180.

Nav lights $30 or so for the green one $75 for the red one, $30 for the white position light. You want the paddle style lamp for the red one, the cheaper version isn't nearly bright enough.
Spruce sells them, takes a couple of minutes to swap them.

Wait seriously? I thought you would have to change the entire fixture out for some reason.

First - Don't bother
Second - Don't even talk to an A&P who wants to take the install.

Nothing negative to say about the JPI engine monitors, but you're not likely to run a normally aspirated 0-320 any differently with the fancy display and extra data.

Buy fuel instead.

The headlight is about $250, not even an A&P signoff anymore, just a log book entry. The tail strobe light (Whelen) is about $525-550 depending where you buy it, does require the A&P signoff. Tail position light (the little white light in the tail pointing back) varies. I picked it up at OSH for $200 in 2015 - paid cash at the end of the week, everyone was happy to get rid of inventory and not need to ship it home. Wing position lights (again, Orion Whelen) run about total $900 for the two, and again, A&P signoff.

Note - the LED lamps that appear to be replacement bulbs for the wing tips are not PMA/TSO/whatever for the cherokee. Learned that one the hard way - you have to buy the entire unit.

One of the great things about our hobby is that it doesn't always have to be practical :)
I say go for it! If you love your plane and are looking for ways to spruce it up that are also functional I think an engine monitor, esp the JPI, is a great addition. At the marina I used to work at people would buy fancy gadgets for their Cherokee-140-equivalent sailboats.. because, well, it's fun to make something you own yours and customize it how you want it. Just because your plane (or boat) is considered "entry level" doesn't mean you can't have some fun customizing it and making it yours! Just don't expect to necessarily get any ROI on it (but isn't that true with most "luxury" hobbies?)

Yea I got a fuel straw and it's one of the best things I bought so far
The Skyhawk at the club has one of these... absolutely love it, can't imagine flying with out. It was one of those things during training were a CFI might say "ah, the fuel is about halfway up the tabs, just assume we have X gallons for your planning" and I found the whole exercise pedantic and kind of a travesty to then go and do these precise time and distance fuel burn calculations when the initial starting fuel was just a swag. The straw is awesome, now I know I have 18 gallons left and 19 right for example. My favorite thing to do is check it again after landing and see how close my calculations and the totalizer were.

Nothing negative to say about the JPI engine monitors, but you're not likely to run a normally aspirated 0-320 any differently with the fancy display and extra data.
I generally agree... but, having extra data points on arguably one of the most critical (and expensive!) pieces of equipment on the airplane can't hurt. It's also one of those things were if you notice that "cylinder 2 always runs really hot" it might be a symptom of something to eventually get checked out. And if you fly in hot climates then it may make you think twice about doing that 73 knot climb at full power for 20 minutes. I also think it helps with leaning technique beyond just the "pull it back, run rough, then push it in a tad" technique. I still initially lean by feel and listening in the Piper and Cessna but then fine tune it with the JPI.. no need to abuse those CHTs!

I second(more like 4th+ now probably) this. The 180 I rent from my instructor who owns it has upgraded to all LEDs on the outside which I would say is 100% better.

Note - the LED lamps that appear to be replacement bulbs for the wing tips are not PMA/TSO/whatever for the cherokee. Learned that one the hard way - you have to buy the entire unit.

Nothing requires them to be PMA/TSO/whatever.

Back