JPI 700 to 730 Upgrade

BrianM

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brianm
Anyone have experience doing an upgrade from a JPI 700 to 730? We have a 700 that just decided to stop working on us. It has a bunch of optional sensors like fuel flow, OAT, RPM and oil temp and pressure. From my reading it sounds as if this is as simple as unplugging the harness from the old 700 and then plugging it into the new 730 as long as we have enough panel real estate in current location to accommodate. Off course JPI is closed currently because of COVID and not answering emails either. Just wanted to get feedback from someone who has been down this road.

We did the 800 to 830 route recently. Yes simple install. Pricing was good and got a core credit on the old unit.

If the upgrade does not work, please look at Insight. I have had G2 and it has been flawless. I like it better than JPI, since it displays all temps at once, instead of having to wait for it to cycle through them. Mine has the FF, OAT, Voltage, and carb temp.

My 700 crapped out last year. JPI fixed it for about $150, if I recall.

The JPI displays seem prone to failure. I had to send mine back a couple of years ago. But the repair was a lot less expensive than a replacement upgrade.

I was under the impression that a repair would probably cost in the neighborhood of $500. If JPI will fix it in the $150-200 range will probably just stick with the 700. Looks like upgrade price is $1250.

I was under the impression that a repair would probably cost in the neighborhood of $500. If JPI will fix it in the $150-200 range will probably just stick with the 700. Looks like upgrade price is $1250.
Plus install of the 730 since the form factor is different. I weighed the options too and, for me at the time, the repair made the most sense.

Back