Journey to Private Pilot almost finished! v.longxcdone

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
Well, this weekend was beautiful and I was able to knock out about 8 hours of flying total, completed my stage 2 check with the Chief pilot at my school on a very windy day and did a mock oral where he said I did very well. Saturday I knocked out my other short solo XC from Martin State (Baltimore) out to Ocean City, MD and back. Was a great day to fly, not too many people out and about which was surprising since it was such a beautiful day.

Sunday I did my long solo XC. Was a lot longer than it needed to be at about 240nm round trip, but I feel like 100nm just isn't a lot and I wanted to have some fun. Flew from Martin State to Ocean City MD and up the coast to Ocean City NJ. Honestly was one of the best flights I've had so far, was a little worried since it seems everyone has something unexpected that pops up during their long solo XC, I guess I just got lucky! The only thing that did have me monitoring engine gauges a little more than normal was some oil streaking out of the cowl a bit when I was doing my pre flight. My instructor was next door getting ready for another student and had him look it over with me, couldn't figure out where it was coming from at all, but oil level was a little low. We put a quart in and I kept a close eye on oil pressure and oil temp gauges but she flew just fine.

Now I just have to sign up for my written, get my 3 hours of test prep with my instructor and off I'll go. There is apparently about a month wait here to get your checkride so I'll be starting on my instrument training before I have my PPL, but excited to keep pushing forward after some really frustrating weeks the last few months slowing me down.

This whole flying thing is just too addicting :)

Next time you are up that way, stop at Cape May (KWWD). There's a great little diner, and a museum there.

Yup! Cape May was my first XC with instructor and first solo, it is beautiful out that way. I'll have to stop in next time and try it out, I haven't stopped there yet just touch and go.

Last edited:
Back