Journey to my Instrument Rating

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
Now that I've finished my Private which I chronicled and diaried in my thread entitled: "Are Old Logged Hours Still Valid?" thread, it's time to start a new thread to chronicle the journey to my Instrument Rating.

At this point I've had my Private a little over a week and I've knocked out a litttle over 10 cross country hours added to those that I earned before the checkride. In this time I've come to know very well why so many people point out that the Private Certificate is "a license to learn." I've already learned a lot and I'm sure I will learn a LOTmore as time goes by.

I've been off this week so I'm trying to fly while I have the time and weather. I plan on getting some Instrument training material soon and will start my instrument lessons in a monthr or so. My plan is to get my IR by the end of the year.

After I start back to work Tuesday, Saturday's will be the only chances to build cross country time, but I think I can knock out another 35 hours including my long cross country by mid year.

I want to thank all those who offered help, advice, coaching and encouragement during the journey to my Private. I'm sure that everyone here will be just as helpful as I attempt to climb the next rung of the ladder.

Doc

Doc,
I'm sitting in a hotel room in Helena, MT getting ready to take my knowledge exam tomorrow. After looking at a lot of different study options, I think that the FAA publications and the Gleim notes and guide is plenty.

I'm amazed at how much more comfortable I feel with my understanding of VORs and other navigational aids after simply studying for this test.

Happy studies and happy flying to you. Have a great New Year.

Doc,
I'm sitting in a hotel room in Helena, MT getting ready to take my knowledge exam tomorrow. After looking at a lot of different study options, I think that the FAA publications and the Gleim notes and guide is plenty.

I'm amazed at how much more comfortable I feel with my understanding of VORs and other navigational aids after simply studying for this test.

Happy studies and happy flying to you. Have a great New Year.

Agreed. I used a Gleim test prep book, the FAA handbook, and exams4pilots to prep.

Good luck and have fun

Very well. That Gleim book is the best!
Now that I've demonstrated an ability to interpret approach charts, I'd better learn how to actually fly them.
Details, details, details.

Same here but my plane is still VFR. I need one more component and then it will be ready to go to the avionics shop for the minor upgrade to IFR ($$$$)

What does it cost to get a plane IFR certified, assuming all the instrumentation is OK?

This brings up a point a question to which I've heard two different answers. I was at the avionics shop back in the Summer with my instructor. I can't remember who took which side, but one was saying you didn't need IFR certification on your instrumenst for the IR check ride. The other said that you did.

Wayne, (and others of course) what say you?

Doc

Usually, the IR checkride is not done in ifr conditions or on an actual ifr flight plan/clearance because that would require the Examiner to act as PIC, which they are strongly encouraged not to do because of liability issues.

Training, and checkrides, that do not file or operate under ifr rules do not have to be ifr certified.

My answer is who cares? You already own a plane you're going to use for IR training and checkride. If the opportunity for some actual IMC training presents itself next month, do you want to be forced to forego the opportunity because it doesn't have a current 411-413 check?

This brings up a point a question to which I've heard two different answers. I was at the avionics shop back in the Summer with my instructor. I can't remember who took which side, but one was saying you didn't need IFR certification on your instrumenst for the IR check ride. The other said that you did.

Wayne, (and others of course) what say you?

Doc

My answer is who cares? You already own a plane you're going to use for IR training and checkride. If the opportunity for some actual IMC training presents itself next month, do you want to be forced to forego the opportunity because it doesn't have a current 411-413 check?
Absolutely. Double-Ditto. The only reason you should get IR training IS to be able (and aircraft legal) to go into clouds -not just to get another ticket punch. :wink2:

I only point out that you don't HAFTA have it done (legal) before you start, at least, your training.

So, Doc, you're startin your instrument training. I got caught, snagged, hooked in on that niggely instrument rule- I'm bad about that; but, back to the original point: your instrument training.

Right now, zero in on the basic instrument aircraft control. Never mind about all the IFR, and the many many many instrument rules and procedures. Whew! Almost hurts just to say it all at once.

But basic instrument aircraft control is where you start to get a handle on all that pro-ceedure stuff.
When your eye-hand-body control of the aircraft by instruments only becomes second nature, just like the automatic rudder response on the tailwheel, then your mind can catch up with and be ahead of the pre-ceedure(s)x2..

Most folks (instructors, friends, etc) may tend to overwhelm you (all with good intent) with knowledge, tips, advice, etc. about the many many pro-ceedures, and you will wanna know (and practice at a later date), but at first, really, concentrate on good, not just good, but excellent aircraft control. Excellent being the same level of control that you gained on the tailwheel.

There are also many methods of attaining/gaining excellent basic instrument aircraft control, and I would suggest using the FAA Instrument flying Handbook, with the basic instrument maneuvers as a start, so that you can read and practice from a standardized reference book that we can have basic instrument discussions about.

Maybe you have already seen many conflicting methods of basic control, and there are many, just as there are many different methods of teaching vfr attitude control, so, as your tailwheel PPL story became a legend, so will your IR in a T/W become a good teaching story.

Starting with Basic Instruments.

Did you receive my "cross country tool" yet? Glad to hear you are continuing on with your many desired ratings / certificates.

Wow, this thread is already taking on great value.

Wayne, thanks for answering my certifiation question.

Nosehair, thanks for this valuable basic understanding of how to approach instrument training. It has not been framed that way for me before. At the suggestion of one of the instructors who will be doing my instrument training I have already ordered the Instrument Flying Handbook. He also said that the FAR/AIM is good material. I already have a FAR/AIM and have started reading the Instrument sections. My education is Electrical Engineering so I find much of the FAR/AIM stuff to be interesting. I suppose that makes me a first class geek.

Kim, I haven't seen a package yet, but mail didn't run much last week. Thanks and I'll watch for it.

Doc

PS: I wonder if this thread should really be in the Instrument forum? It is training, but it is also instrument related. D

I had all the books in the PTS but did not crack open the Instrument Flying Handbook. I still have it and I guess I should read it to understand more about the whole thing without paying for IR lessons.

If you think the FAR / AIM is cool, did you read the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge?

Personally, after I understood the basic stuff(Instrument Flying Handbook/similar Jepp books) I read the FAA Instrument Procedures handbook which I thought was very helpful and went into significant detail about flying 'in the system' as well as why things are the way they are.

I had all the books in the PTS but did not crack open the Instrument Flying Handbook. I still have it and I guess I should read it to understand more about the whole thing without paying for IR lessons.

If you think the FAR / AIM is cool, did you read the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge?

Yes, the Pilots Handbook is what I used 20 years ago. I still have it and still refer to it.

Doc, this is way longer than I wanted to post here, but I couldn't find a way to make it work by PM. Good luck with your training.

Becoming a proficient instrument pilot is easier if you (and more importantly, your instructor) start with a basic understanding of what's really important and really different about the new game and the simplest and quickest way to learn to play it.

The most-important concept is that instrument flying is nothing more than an attention-management exercise. You have already learned to cross-check, but the IR training will require further development of those skills. In addition, many other functions (communication, clearances, navigation, avionics, charts and plates, etc.) will require your attention and must be dealt with in a timely manner while you simultaneously continue to fly the plane to precise tolerances.

You will not have the luxury of concentrating on a single task or a single instrument for as long as you would like, and certainly not as long as you have had during your primary training, simply because everything else goes to hell much more quickly. As a result, you must learn to obtain and interpret the information you need from whatever source and return your attention to the primary FTFA task. You'll soon learn that the old adage "eating a turd sandwich is easier if you take small bites" is never more true than for pilots who are learning the new game.

Fixation on a single instrument/gage and failure to develop an orderly and effective plan for attention diversion are the two biggest hurdles for most new instrument pilots. Instructors can easily detect fixation occurrence, because the pilot will invariably jerk the controls to make a quick correction after straying from some assigned parameter of flight. If you catch yourself making jerky corrections, you'll immediately know why it happened and that you must improve on taking small bites and returning your attention to FTFA.

After 30-some years of watching instrument pilots from the right seat or instructor panel in the sim, I'm always surprised by (1) their lack of preparation and (2) their lack of feel.

Lack of preparation is demonstrated in many ways, but the most obvious blunder is that most amateur pilots seem to think that nothing can happen in the cockpit until the engine is running. Only then do they apparently think that clearances can be obtained and copied, frequencies and squawks can be pre-selected, and other nav/com instruments set for departure.

In order to break this habit, I require that the student prepare an inventory of the "stuff" that will be necessary for the flight, and to know its location and sequence of use during the flight. That includes pens, pencils, paper, clipboards, charts, plates, flashlights, sun-shades, sex toys and any other doo-dads that might be necessary during the trip.

A pre-takeoff cluster-fumble is never a pretty thing to watch, and can be avoided with just a few minutes of planning. So I also require the pilot to sit in the cockpit for a few minutes prior to each flight in order to get things organized and set up prior to engine start. This step will require some battery power for a couple of minutes, at which some pilots are aghast. My position is that if the plane’s battery won’t tolerate a few minutes of use prior to start, the pilot shouldn’t be flying the damn thing anyway.

A disorganized or unorganized cockpit is even more disheartening. Pilots should understand that they need some tools to manage the airplane (checklists, etc.) and some tools to manage the trip (charts, plates, other pubs and paper) and develop a method to access them in a timely and orderly manner. Some pilots use a $40 kneeboard, I use a $2 clipboard.

Lack of feel is also obvious in that most pilots obviously think they must look at everything they touch prior to making physical contact with their hand. Only when they develop a conscious method of handling some the non-flying elements by touch will they start to improve. Unfortunately, many instructors don't understand this concept either so the student is doomed to "making it harder than it is" until somebody explains that using the sense of feel is permitted in the cockpit of little airplanes.

A simple example is tuning the VOR. If you depart KADS for KDUA, you will most likely be flying a heading to intercept a radial from Cowboy 115.7. After intercept, you will at some point be cleared direct DUA and wish to change the VOR freq 114.3.

Rather than staring at the VOR like a goat looking at a watch, reach over without looking and place your fingers on the VOR tuning knob. If you don’t know where it is, practice in the dark until you can find it every time. Glance quickly at the current freq setting to determine that you have selected the correct knob, then move your eyes back to the fight instruments. If you need more than a second or two to verify the freq, consider making a visit to your local eye doc.

Once you’re sure, and without looking, click the big knob counter-clockwise once to change from 115 to 114, then click the little knob counterclockwise four clicks to change it from .7 to .3. Verify with a quick glance, then without looking (it will be in the same place as the last time you flew the plane) immediately place your fingers on the audio panel and glance at the correct button or switch for the nav you are tuning (can’t be any number other than 1 or 2 in most GA airplanes) and identify the freq. If necessary, listen until you have internalized the dit-dah pattern, and then quickly check the chart to be sure it’s correct. If you don’t want the Morse code to interfere with your ATC comm function through the headset, simply select the cabin speaker and listen to the dit-dah in the background.

You should already have the chart pre-folded to the correct page, and have some idea where the next fix is located, so verifying the code pattern matches the chart shouldn’t take long, but may take several quick glances rather than one long look if you want to maintain precise control.

In summary, learning to do things in a manner than helps eliminate the most-common problems before they occur is a much better strategy than correcting them later.

Wow Wayne! What a great post. I'm glad you couldn't fit it into a PM, because now it's available for everyone to take advantage of.

Somehow having flown with you before, let's me comprehend your written word even better. I expect that there are some important fundamentals in your post that I might have had to fly a bunch extra in order to figure them out.

I have gotten to a point where I can touch many things on my panel without looking. I will start practicing tuning radios and VOR's without looking and then look at them to verify correct freq.

You can bet I will re-read your post a few times as the process goes along.

BTW: I customized and perfected the checklist that you sent me before my check ride. During the check ride when I reached for it, I told the examiner that the check list was a flow that started at the fuel selector. He watched me go through it and then asked to see it. He looked at it for a second and gave it back to me. Although he said nothing more about it, I believe he was impressed. I expect that the checklist portion of his apparantly mental check ride check sheet was checked off at that moment.

I printed a fresh copy and hope to get it laminated this week.

Thanks again for everything that you share with us on this forum.

In order to break this habit, I require that the student prepare an inventory of the "stuff" that will be necessary for the flight, and to know its location and sequence of use during the flight. That includes pens, pencils, paper, clipboards, charts, plates, flashlights, sun-shades, sex toys and any other doo-dads that might be necessary during the trip.

Um, I knew you needed some of those things for instrument flying, but the last two on the list are new to me. Now I don't think I want to start instrument training since I can't multitask THAT much!

Great post, Wayne. I had a funny moment with Jesse that I 'fessed up to during our week of flying. One night, during a de-brief Jesse said, "You fixated on something there and it fell apart..." referring to a specific approach.

I 'fessed up because it was the strangest thing... I fixated on the TRANSMIT light on my KX-155. I have no damn idea why. I just did. Keyed up the mic to answer the controller, and stared at the TX light the entire transmission.

Your post is dead-on for the overall concept learned so far... you do not have time to look at only one instrument or stare at a checklist. You must keep moving your attention.

Um, I knew you needed some of those things for instrument flying, but the last two on the list are new to me. Now I don't think I want to start instrument training since I can't multitask THAT much!

One word: Auto-pilot. ;) ;) ;)

Haha... sorry, couldn't resist.

What, Kim, you have a problem with doo-dads?

No - the other thing. I call most everything doo dad or whose ee whats it or doo hickey or "thingie" if I don't know what it is really called. But that upsets pilots so I try to use real names when I can.

FAA's IFR Procedures Handbook has been already mention in this thread. It is great book that helped putting everything I learned from IFR Flying handbook in place. Now it all make sense :)

That may be a modern-day record for self-induced distraction, but the only reason I didn't fall into that trap 40 years ago is because the old 170's didn't have TX lights. But I made all the other mistakes, so I guess we're even.

.. I fixated on the TRANSMIT light on my KX-155. I have no damn idea why. I just did. Keyed up the mic to answer the controller, and stared at the TX light the entire transmission.

My 152 has the following inop:

Pitot Heat

Parking Brake

ADF

Glide Slope

No GPS whatsoever

So if you think I have an auto pilot in there you are crazy.

The auto-pilot is easy: just make it sit in the right seat!

The auto-pilot is easy: just make it sit in the right seat!

Wait a sec. You mean I could have made *you* fly the plane?! Sheesh.

Here I got nicknamed Stevie Wonder for my blind wandering under the hood, and all that could have been avoided... ;)

Wait a sec. You mean I could have made *you* fly the plane?! Sheesh.

Sure. I usually use the electro-mechanical autopilot in the Frankenkota but will use the bio autopilot when available. Ask Henning.

Here I got nicknamed Stevie Wonder for my blind wandering under the hood, and all that could have been avoided... ;)

Yup, it sure coulda, Stevie...CRM - everything at your disposal...in the aircraft and over the radio...remember that always. Single pilot IFR is tough. Obviously other folks have other opinions but there's good reason that part 135 requires an autopilot for single pilot IFR flights with passengers (IMNSHO).

Clark, I'm still laughing at the way you said, "I'm sure glad you turned left!" at CIM due to the terrain to the West, when I was talking to myself about which way to turn onto that approach out-loud. LOL.

I think you made that whole flight more fun for me and Karen both. She was still laughing about it later too.

Humor at the right time can make single-pilot (plus peanut-gallery) IFR a lot easier. ;)

At the wrong time I'd be reaching for the Pilot Isolate switch on the Intercom. ;)

Wayne- great post!

Tim is awake extra hours at night perfecting that INOP placard and plans to sell it as STC

(BTW Tim, I want 40%:rofl:)

Back