Joins across databases?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We have 4 databases, one SQLite and three SQL Server. Is there any way to create a join across two or three?

I doubt it would be the most efficient join ever, but I don't know where performance is on your criteria. If it's a complex join that will be run frequently against largely static data, it might be more efficient to periodically clone some tables to a common database that can have all the requisite metadata to optimize the query. But it looks like a nice, quick, easy way to do it quickly. Sounds somewhat similar to database links in Oracle.

I doubt it would be the most efficient join ever, but I don't know where performance is on your criteria. If it's a complex join that will be run frequently against largely static data, it might be more efficient to periodically clone some tables to a common database that can have all the requisite metadata to optimize the query. But it looks like a nice, quick, easy way to do it quickly. Sounds somewhat similar to database links in Oracle.

Yeah, generally, using linked servers is a "bad" idea precisely because of performance considerations. But it sure is a lot easier than doing some kind of SSIS/DTS work to get the data across. So if an ETL kind of thing isn't doable but performance is still a concern, the best bet might be to grab the data from the remote server using OPENQUERY and put it in a temp table or table variable (maybe apply indexes as and if necessary?), then join the local data against that.

Like the others have said - it all depends on the specifics of the situation. For example if you need to pull data from SQL into SQLLite, then you may very well need to set up a replication scheme using linking from SQL into SQLLite.

Back