Joining Coast Guard AirAux?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys,

I'm debating joining the Coast Guard Air Auxiliary.

Basically they fly SAR, ice watch, look for missing vessels, etc using your own aircraft, they in turn will pay for your fuel and mx while you're on a coast guard flight.

Website says they require 1k hrs for the highest level aircraft commander (which I have a few times over), your own plane (check), AND a marine radio (couple hundred bucks).....with a external antenna.

My plane has one small extra VHF antenna on it (top mount), would it work if I ran a cable and adapter under my panel to plug into a marine handheld?

Seems if I could do that this might be a sweet arrangement, I help some folks out, and while doing so, in turn get to fly my plane for free!

Once you join, I am sure there is organizational knowledge on how to rig up the external antenna and and how to match it with a marine VHF radio. Contact the squadron, talk to people.

Hey guys,

I'm debating joining the Coast Guard Air Auxiliary.

Basically they fly SAR, ice watch, look for missing vessels, etc using your own aircraft, they in turn will pay for your fuel and mx while you're on a coast guard flight.

Website says they require 1k hrs for the highest level aircraft commander (which I have a few times over), your own plane (check), AND a marine radio (couple hundred bucks).....with a external antenna.

My plane has one small extra VHF antenna on it (top mount), would it work if I ran a cable and adapter under my panel to plug into a marine handheld?

Seems if I could do that this might be a sweet arrangement, I help some folks out, and while doing so, in turn get to fly my plane for free!

You're better off with a belly antenna, though I doubt it makes much difference. The best small marine VHF antennas I've found are the Metz loaded coil ones. As for helping people, not very likely, by the time CG Aux Air is doing something, it's trying to spot a body to recover.

Thanks for the info

I'm not open to drilling a antena onto the plane for this.

Could the aviation VHF work for the marine radio, or could that loaded cool antena be mounted using the same holes/location as my extra unused VHF?

I'd like to do this, but I'm not willing to make permeant modifications to the plane.

Yes, most likely you can reuse the holes from an existing unused antenna. Attempting to use the SAME antenna is likely to not work well. The output transistors in 12V powered handhelds and mobiles end up putting out minimal power when faced with a mismatch. Cooper and probably others makes airborne marine band whips.

With the latest FAA pronouncement it appears that they will not be able to pay for your fuel!

Likewise, I haven't heard anything about that ether.

Once you join, I am sure there is organizational knowledge on how to rig up the external antenna and and how to match it with a marine VHF radio. Contact the squadron, talk to people.

CGAUX calls them "flotillas." Even with airplanes.

CAP has "squadrons."

I've observed the guys at Alameda and been rather impressed. They don't do the dunk tank anymore, but they do make you practice getting in a life raft in the water. It's harder than it sounds.

What do they reimburse per hour? Is it a fixed amount for MX reserves or is it as-needed? How do you track fuel? I couldn't find on their website much about the airplane side of things...

Thanks for the info

I'm not open to drilling a antena onto the plane for this.

Could the aviation VHF work for the marine radio, or could that loaded cool antena be mounted using the same holes/location as my extra unused VHF?

I'd like to do this, but I'm not willing to make permeant modifications to the plane.

Take off one of the belly inspection plates that is painted to look like your airplane. Go down to the maintenance shop and see if they have an old junk inspection plate of the same size. Mount the antenna to the inspection plate. When you want to make your airplane pretty again, discard the antenna and put your permanent inspection plate back on.

Jim

As for helping people, not very likely, by the time CG Aux Air is doing something, it's trying to spot a body to recover.

Actually, I flew USCG Aux Air for about ten years in San Diego. We had a setup routine whereby we flew shoreline patrol out over water a half mile or so looking for "out of gas", broken masts, and the like. We found a few. (We also found one or two where the guy came up on deck with a towel wrapped around himself waving us to get the hell away from his vessel ... and presumably his afternoon delight !!!).

The flotilla in San Diego was a really great bunch of folks. When we moved north, the flotilla up here was kind of snooty and I opted not to continue.

Jim

Huh!

I just read something that might work.

Some guy in a M20 wanted to do something similar, so he found a stainless antenna that could pass through his unused (sealed battery) battery vent tube, poked the antena through with a plastic sleeve over it to prevent metal on metal, connected the cable to the handheld, and bobs your uncle!

Any radio guys have any thoughts on that?

Actually, I flew USCG Aux Air for about ten years in San Diego. We had a setup routine whereby we flew shoreline patrol out over water a half mile or so looking for "out of gas", broken masts, and the like. We found a few. (We also found one or two where the guy came up on deck with a towel wrapped around himself waving us to get the hell away from his vessel ... and presumably his afternoon delight !!!).

The flotilla in San Diego was a really great bunch of folks. When we moved north, the flotilla up here was kind of snooty and I opted not to continue.

Jim

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for (just in the NE)

Last edited:
Read the fine print. I believe you may have to comply with manufacturers recommendations, like TBO times (including time limits on the prop). Maybe that isn't an issue for you, but for many it is.

Shouldn't be a issue.

Huh!

I just read something that might work.

Some guy in a M20 wanted to do something similar, so he found a stainless antenna that could pass through his unused (sealed battery) battery vent tube, poked the antena through with a plastic sleeve over it to prevent metal on metal, connected the cable to the handheld, and bobs your uncle!

Any radio guys have any thoughts on that?

Yes. It is about the most UNclever idea I've ever heard of. Why don't you do the job right?

THanks,

Jim
(who is damned tired of explaining why wild hair ideas about antennas won't work.)

Yes. It is about the most UNclever idea I've ever heard of. Why don't you do the job right?

THanks,

Jim
(who is damned tired of explaining why wild hair ideas about antennas won't work.)

Because I'm not drilling holes in a near 200k aircraft for a non-rev generating activity.

You're welcome,
James

So any constructive opinions backed with a logic or facts?

Because I'm not drilling holes in a near 200k aircraft for a non-rev generating activity.

Why not ? Do it during an annual or during other avionics work. An additional VHF antenna on the belly is not going to de-value your plane. That assumes it was done in a professional manner and is properly labeled. 'Oh that's interesting' would be the only thing you would hear from a buyer if he sees a BNC connector labelled 'marine VHF' on the right side of the panel.

What will devalue your plane however is a res-skinned section of the fuselage after your jury-rigged antenna broke lose and banged up the portion aft of it.

Have you talked to the flotilla yet ? Really, ask them. Talk to their communications guy, talk to the region level communications guy. There is probably a set of drawings and an avionics shop in the area that has done a couple. Marine VHF in light planes is quite common up in Alaska where pilots use it to talk to anyone from boaters, snowmobilers to public safety officials.

Back