Join pilots from more than 27 countries on this new online platform

sennevdp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Senne V
Hi everyone!

As some of you might already know, I recently launched a new website for pilots. I've worked on this project for the past year and a half, and I'm really excited that it's finally online!

Hangar.Flights is a brand new online pilot-only community that provides pilots with a platform to discuss, share and connect. It's more than just another online forum; it's a platform with articles by our contributors, discussions, stories, videos you can share, the latest aviation news and much more. This site will be constantly updated with new cool and helpful functions to help pilots and student pilots.

We have pilots who signed up from 27+ different countries, with all levels of flying experience. Hangar.Flights is the perfect platform to share your flying experiences and learn from each other.

Of course, since we just launched, the site is not completely finished yet. We will be adding new stuff and updating the functions and design a lot in the coming months!

Because we also want to focus on people who want to get started in aviation and help young people take their first steps in flying, we will also be adding a whole new section to the website specially dedicated to flight training and getting started in aviation, with helpful information about flight schools, scholarships, tools, training and more.

Feel free to check out my website and I would love to know what you think about it!

Also, if you like what you see and want to help me out, it would mean a lot to me if you would want to share it with all your pilot friends! Blog contributors are also more than welcome if you love to write about aviation as much as I do!

Here's a link to the site: https://Hangar.Flights

All the best and have a great weekend!

Senne - Founder

PS: I don't want to spam or post stuff that doesn't belong here. If this is inappropriate, the admin can delete this.

homepage.png

Last edited:
The Web page says "To keep the website and content quality as high as possible, Hangar.Flights is a pilot-only community. Only pilots can be active in our community, post stuff and interact with other pilots." What about people who are interested in becoming pilots? Also, how do you plan to enforce the pilot-only policy?

Hi @Palmpilot, for now, it is indeed (student)pilot-only. I've been on too many forums with people trying to troll, post inappropriate stuff etc. To really keep this community helpful and valuable to pilots, I made it pilot-only. As I already mentioned, I will be adding a whole different section to the website for people who are not yet a pilot but want to get started in aviation. I really want to start focussing on them as well, that's why I'll spend the coming months building tools, guides and other information to help people who are interested in becoming a pilot; with some interactive maps showing flight schools, reviews from students, tips and tricks, etc.

We do our best to enforce it by 1) making very clear on the site that only real-life pilots can register and 2) by monitoring the people who sign up and keeping an eye out for inappropriate posts. It takes work, but it's definitely worth it I think.

Join scum sucking spammers from all over the world. Post multiple, inappropriate advertisements in forums. I hope your community suffers from the same sort of abuse you cause this one.

Join scum sucking spammers from all over the world. Post multiple, inappropriate advertisements in forums. I hope your community suffers from the same sort of abuse you cause this one.

Wow that's pretty harsh. I just briefly looked at the sight, and it looks pretty cool. Lots going on and pretty busy. What am I missing?

What's so terrible about posting about his new forum? I could see that attitude if he were posting about a non-aviation site, but that's not the case here. Maybe his post should have gone in The Classifieds, but other than that, what's the problem?

Hi @Palmpilot, for now, it is indeed (student)pilot-only. I've been on too many forums with people trying to troll, post inappropriate stuff etc. To really keep this community helpful and valuable to pilots, I made it pilot-only. As I already mentioned, I will be adding a whole different section to the website for people who are not yet a pilot but want to get started in aviation. I really want to start focussing on them as well, that's why I'll spend the coming months building tools, guides and other information to help people who are interested in becoming a pilot; with some interactive maps showing flight schools, reviews from students, tips and tricks, etc.

We do our best to enforce it by 1) making very clear on the site that only real-life pilots can register and 2) by monitoring the people who sign up and keeping an eye out for inappropriate posts. It takes work, but it's definitely worth it I think.
Do pilots have to be licensed to be eligible? For example, would pilots of ultralights, which require no license in the U.S., be allowed? How about active pilots who just never bothered to get licensed? That is said to be very common in Alaska.

@Palmpilot Well, I always assumed every pilot who's flying should legally have a license. Since I'm not from the US I'm not really aware of all regulations, so I didn't know pilots can fly without a license in some places. Of course, those pilots are allowed too, it's build for every pilot. Will definitely need to integrate that in the signup system (you have to indicate which licenses you hold when registering)

@Palmpilot Well, I always assumed every pilot who's flying should legally have a license. Since I'm not from the US I'm not really aware of all regulations, so I didn't know pilots can fly without a license in some places. Of course, those pilots are allowed too, it's build for every pilot. Will definitely need to integrate that in the signup system (you have to indicate which licenses you hold when registering)
No license is required to fly an "ultralight vehicle" anywhere in the U.S. Other than that, unlicensed flying is illegal everywhere in the country, but Alaska is so big, and so sparsely populated, that enforcement is difficult. Rumor has it that only about half of Alaska's pilots are licensed, but I don't think anyone knows the real number.

No license is required to fly an "ultralight vehicle" anywhere in the U.S. Other than that, unlicensed flying is illegal everywhere in the country, but Alaska is so big, and so sparsely populated, that enforcement is difficult. Rumor has it that only about half of Alaska's pilots are licensed, but I don't think anyone knows the real number.

Oh, didn't know that, I learn something new every day!

By the way, a student pilot here is not required to get a student pilot certificate until it's time to fly solo. (The FAA calls pilot licenses pilot "certificates.")

By the way, a student pilot here is not required to get a student pilot certificate until it's time to fly solo. (The FAA calls pilot licenses pilot "certificates.")

Yes, when registering pilots can also indicate they are a student and do not have any licenses yet.

Okay great you've made another aviation site. I don't see the appeal. POA is a great everything aviation(and offtopic) forum and there are other great pro pilot, backcountry, biplane, experimental etc. forums. So whys yours special? I'm not trying to be mean but it seems kind of scattershot with "stories" being random stuff from online or something supposed to be fleshed out by user submissions (we write you get ad rev down the road) Your a marketing student so whos your market? "Pilots" is too broad whats your niche wheres the hook? You don't have writers so "news" will be PR fluff or copypasta from other sites. Theres no expanded usability over someplace like here and no content or promise of content I can't get elsewhere so /shrug

The Management Council is allowing this thread after moving it to the Classifieds section. I do not see where the OP has posted "multiple, inappropriate advertisements". Maybe you are thinking of someone else. Good luck with your site, OP.

Ok, so now that the thread has a green lite and we've badgered the dude pretty hard, I'll say this...I only took a quick look at the site from an iPhone and it seems to have a nice layout. If u r a young kid, which I think u probably are, then I commend you for creating a somewhat nice looking website. The other reason I think ur probably a kid is that maybe u just needed to do a little more research and see that there already are plenty of sites presenting exactly what you're presenting. I haven't been to share aviation in a long time, mainly because it sucked and was the byproduct of Mr Aviation who I cant stand. But besides that, he is a kid that put some effort into that site, and I think it eventually failed or faded away. But there already is so much available that I think what we're all trying to say is, "why?". Anyways, I hope it works out for u, whatever ur trying to accomplish. But if ur trying to sell sht, we're not interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Management Council is allowing this thread after moving it to the Classifieds section. I do not see where the OP has posted "multiple, inappropriate advertisements". Maybe you are thinking of someone else. Good luck with your site, OP.
At the time I posted that sennevdp had six posts on this forum. They appeared to be have been scattered across three different threads pimping his website. Even at the time I write this there are two thread (now moved to Classifieds) for the same site. So yes, my statement about multiple inappropriate threads was 100% correct as they were in the non-classified sections of the forum.

Even for things in classified, I think it's kind of disingenuous to create an account here only to advertise, with no intention to actually contribute positively to the forum.

At the time I posted that sennevdp had six posts on this forum. They appeared to be have been scattered across three different threads pimping his website. Even at the time I write this there are two thread (now moved to Classifieds) for the same site. So yes, my statement about multiple inappropriate threads was 100% correct as they were in the non-classified sections of the forum.
I checked that before I posted my previous message. He has started two threads, one on February 2 and the other today. He did not know to put them in the Classifieds section so we have moved them. This happens frequently. A new poster might not know to do this so we are giving him the benefit of the doubt, even if you aren't.

That's fine. I'm not obviously an administrator here (and I as much said that). But you intimated that I was incorrect in my statement which was NOT true. Every single post made by this user has been to ADVERTISE his forum and none until you moved them were in a policy-abiding section of the forum.

As I stated, if the person was a bona fide MEMBER of the community they would have been less likely to make the mistake to begin with. I'm still entitled to the opinion that showing up on a forum to pimp a commercial site even if it was within the stated policy (which this you admit was NOT) is reprehensible.

That's fine. I'm not obviously an administrator here (and I as much said that). But you intimated that I was incorrect in my statement which was NOT true. Every single post made by this user has been to ADVERTISE his forum and none until you moved them were in a policy-abiding section of the forum.

As I stated, if the person was a bona fide MEMBER of the community they would have been less likely to make the mistake to begin with. I'm still entitled to the opinion that showing up on a forum to pimp a commercial site even if it was within the stated policy (which this you admit was NOT) is reprehensible.
Bona fide MEMBERS, whatever that means, have made this mistake too. Not to mention the fact that long-time members can be as much of a PITA to the MC as newbies. Sometimes more. ;)

LOL Ron is right in one regard, PoA is a free-for-all advertisement platform for anybody who knows how to create an account. Been that way for a while and nobody is doing anything about it (seems like nobody actually cares).

OP, good luck with your website and you can just hope that it does not suffer the same horrible death as all the other great-idea pilot websites that popped up over the years, became famous and suffocated in its own success.

No, I don't have a dog in this fight.

LOL Ron is right in one regard, PoA is a free-for-all advertisement platform for anybody who knows how to create an account. Been that way for a while and nobody is doing anything about it (seems like nobody actually cares).
Remember that advertising is for the benefit of potential buyers too. Some of our members might be interested in the things these people sell. This was a decision, not a "nobody cares" situation.

I'm cool with it as long as we can all go over there for the express and only purpose of posting to say PoA is better than their site. Think they'll allow that? :)

Bona fide MEMBERS, whatever that means, have made this mistake too.

They're more likely willfully ignoring the rules rather than making a mistake, especially three individuals who love spamming every corner of this site with ads for their various offerings.

I'm with Ron on this one and have long advocated that we should require new members to have 50 or 100 posts...whatever...before they can place a classified ad.

Last edited:
They're more likely willfully ignoring the rules rather than making a mistake, especially three individuals who love spamming every corner of this site with ads for their various offerings.

I'm with Ron on this one and have long advocated that we should require new members to have 50 or 100 posts...whatever...before they can place a classified ad.
We realize you feel this way since you have stated it... repeatedly. ;)

I have an ignore on someone who has said "go start your own site and make your own rules" at least once.

Here's a thread about someone starting their own site. And saying 27 countries, not just America.

And the same someone takes issue with that?

(Oh, and someone: Please respond without name calling and vulgarity)

Nice layout, and I wish you well. I do echo some of the other sentiments in that you'll need to find something new different to distinguish your site.

The big news to me, though, is how I never knew there was a .flights top level domain!

Looks pretty cool! Love the interface. Love the idea. Niching down is probably a good idea.

Creating an online community that educates a little bit differently seems to be the most positive thing going on in this thread. Keep up the good work man.

Site looks good, but you will need to differentiate yourself from what POA, COPA, Beechtalk, CSOB, SocialFlight, and others already provide to pilots to gain traction. There are already so many forums that if you do not, I am afraid you will spend lots of energy and not achieve your goal.

Site looks good, but you will need to differentiate yourself from what POA, COPA, Beechtalk, CSOB, SocialFlight, and others already provide to pilots to gain traction. There are already so many forums that if you do not, I am afraid you will spend lots of energy and not achieve your goal.
100% agree with this. I think you're onto something with the educational portion, but differentiation is a good thing.

Definitely learning about this with my business. I'm trying to be too much like Trade-a-plane and controller. Now I'm trying to pivot to a new model that makes more sense for me and other people.

I barely have enough time talking about aviation topics from pilots in one country. 27 countries just makes my head hurt.

I'm guessing that the international participation would appeal to many people.

I'm guessing that the international participation would appeal to many people.

Yep. We could ***** about government over regulation, the high cost of everything, the kids of today, Cirrus owners and their pansy parachutes, why LOP will destroy your engine in just hours, how real men fly tail draggers, how landing in a 40kt crosswind is no big deal, why you should buy a Bonanza first and be done with it, how we can all learn something new and unique from every single airplane crash, which airplane best fits the mission of flying the wife, four kids, dog, cat and all the gear 900 miles to the beach every other weekend on a $40,000 budget, what the true meaning and intent of FAR 91.123 really is, why Uber won't work for airplanes, why that Mooney on eBay for $15,000 is a really bad idea and stupid crap about a plastic monkey in 27 different languages!!!

;):D

Back