John Lancaster killed in crash

Discussion in 'Gone West' started by RotaryWingBob, Feb 14, 2007.

1. grattonja

grattonja Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    saratoga driver
    I remember John's posts from the old Board. He could bring genuine humor to a pretty bad conversation in the old Hangar Talk over there. He was definitely one of the "good guys" from that old board.

At least he went out doing what he loved to do best. That should always be a consolation for any of us, really.

Goodbye John Lancaster.

Jim G

2. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
  3. ejensen

ejensen Pattern Altitude Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Jensen
    Yeah, instructor it was, thanks. I knew you'd helped him get settled and become friends.

4. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    That's one tough gal, farrier is one of the most back breaking jobs (not to mention having nails embedded into my thigh) I've ever done, and I only did my own horses. She's gotta be pretty smart to make it through vet school as well. Lisa if you end up reading through this, you have my utmost condolences and respect.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. Lawreston

Lawreston En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Harley Reich
    In a note I received from Lisa Lancaster"

"Jerry, thanks for your kind words.
    I can't bear to look on the boards right now but his friend Patrick has told me there are memorial threads, and Patrick is putting up a website where people can donate to an aviation charity.

thanks again,
    lisa"

HR

6. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
    I never knew him but am grateful to now have some insight into his legacy.
    Let's all not let our guard down up there and be extra careful.

7. judypilot

judypilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Judy Parrish
    Oh, this is so sad. I do remember him, and he was always one of my favorites. He could be so funny.

Rest in Peace, John.

Judy

8. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    3Green
    Looks like they're suggesting Angel Flight donations. That's just like the kind of man John was, always giving to others. Godspeed, John.

http://www.johnlancastermemorial.com/

9. fgcason

fgcason En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Frank Cason

10. Dart

Dart Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    iM a grandpa
    Damn!

11. colomtnflyer

colomtnflyer Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    iAM in AK!
    Hello all-
    I am new to PoA... But John Lancaster has been a good friend for over 20 years. He and I worked together as ski instructors for Vail Resorts. As I had gotten my SEL/MEL COMM before he left Vail, we talked of flying and his interest in it, all the time!

Many of you may not know what he did, prior to attending flight training, but he was a top pro in the ski industry. He was a supervisor of training for a group of about 300 ski instrs, a trainer and Examiner for the Professional Ski Instructors of America, Rocky Mtn Division, and a key member of the Education Committee of that same org.

He was as highly regarded in that career as he obviously (having read your generous comments about him here) was in this industry. Many of his friends are on another ski related site, <www.epicski.com>. The terrible news of his unfortunate passing is still just getting out among his peers.

The following is a post I made on that site.

Such a shock!

I received this news last night. It shook me a bit, as John and I have been in pretty close contact since my arrival in Houston. We shared many stories about flying our respective aircraft, and the other things pilots tend to BS about.

In one of his recent letters to me, he expressed his interest in getting back into to ski teaching, part time. Since he was on a 14/14 schedule, and living in Denver during his off time, he was excited to exercise his passion for skiing once again!

We discussed the changes that we had seen over our years together in Vail, the way the industry had changed, and he told how wonderful it felt to go skiing, if only on a small hill in the Mid-West, after his broken ankle a few years ago. It had been his only on-snow experience during the several years he was doing his flight training.

He wrote in glowing terms about his wife, Lisa, and the Vet business she is developing in Denver. I hadn't seen her in a very long time. My heart goes out to her, and I share her sadness.

I will miss him, knowing we will never make another turn together, knowing we will never share another flying story, and the ski and aviation industries are both poorer for his loss.

As we signed off every letter,

Fly Safe!

Thank you for letting me share a memory of John with you all. I will check on the memorial thread I see has been started.

Safe flying to you all!

Ric Reiter
    ATP, MEL, CFII/MEI
    135 Capt, King Air

Examiner, PSIA-RM
    (former) Staff Trainer, Vail/ Beaver Creek Ski and Snowboard School

12. Anthony

Anthony Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Anthony
    OMG, I just realized this was "the" John Lancaster. He was a great guy and a class act. I really liked his perspective on just about everything. I am sick. Wow, what a loss.

13. NC Pilot

NC Pilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    NC Pilot
    Well, that just sucks. He was a great guy.

14. Rushie

Rushie Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    Well this is terrible. John was always a sensible and fun contributer to the forums and I always liked him. What a loss to this world.

Diana thanks for reposting the chicken crossing the road thing. It had me howling with laughter when he first posted it.

15. air9eng

air9eng Guest

I just received a letter/article that John wrote, about his work in the Golf of Mexico - It was written in conjunction with his powerpoint presentation...It is not only very informative, but it also really shows John's great sense of humor. It put a smile on my face and I posted it on the site
    http://www.johnlancastermemorial.com/article.htm

16. PeteF

PeteF Guest

Thank you for all of your kind posts.

I’m a cousin of John’s and grew up with him in Vermont. There were times when we were constantly together, and times when we wouldn’t see each other for years. Unfortunately I hadn’t been in touch with him for some time. Now I wish I had.

I always new JH to be careful in every thing he did. (well not always, but we were teenagers, that doesn’t count) I’m glad to know he maintained excellence in aviation. I am especially glad to know that he earned both your respect and friendship. Your posts on this thread are ample evidence of his professionalism.

As the only other professional pilot in the family, I hope I’m able to express your friendship and respect for John to the rest of the family at home.

Fly Safe.
    Peter Field

17. air9eng

air9eng Guest

18. colomtnflyer

colomtnflyer Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    iAM in AK!
    Ironically, I was in Houma, La yesterday, to do a pick up of some people we had dropped off a few days earlier.

While wandering around checking out some of the cool aircraft Charlie Hammonds has in his hangar, I ran into a guy wearing a ERA Helicopter jacket. I introduced myself and asked if he did work for ERA, and in what capacity. It turned out he was the General Manager for ERA...

I mentioned that I had known John for over 20 years, and he told me that Lisa (John's wife) had just been down there to see where he worked, the rigs, and to meet his co-workers.

Apparently, she is doing as well as might be expected under these difficult circumstances.

So far, the initial NTSB finding is "contact with a known object, for an unknown reason". As there were no eyewitnesses other than John and his passenger, no one will ever know for sure exactly why this tragic accident happened.

19. judypilot

judypilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Judy Parrish
    Did John work for ERA? My husband flew for ERA for awhile. I wonder if they knew each other. I'll have to ask my husband.

Judy

20. gismo

gismo Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iGismo
    Yes for about one year.

21. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Wow... I'd thought this was gone forever (couldn't even find it on archive.org back then) but I was digging around on my computer today, and found a text clipping buried about 4 folders deep that contained the text of John's post. The title wasn't part of the name or contents of the file, which is why I couldn't find it on my computer.

The context was that there had been a large number of heated political discussions that were so crazy they wouldn't have even been allowed in the Spin Zone here, and John, as usual, pretty much summed it up perfectly. So, without further ado, here is his post, titled "Don't be reasonable, just be EMPHATIC!" from the "yellow board" (AOPA's old web board) in early 2005:

22. AdamZ

AdamZ Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Adam Zucker
    Wow we just need to make that a sticky!

23. ScottM

ScottM Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBazinga!
    Perhaps Spiderman can help!

[​IMG]:rofl::D:rofl:

24. Keith Lane

Keith Lane Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Keith Lane
    John was an eloquent guy!

I can think of a few people/situations that would have directly brought on such a post.

I do not miss those Wild West days on the aviation forums......:nonod:

25. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    For Spin ZOne...

26. ScottM

ScottM Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBazinga!
    I dunno Bill. Looking at the antics of late outside of the SZ I would have to say that there is virulent, mean and rude posts outside of the SZ as of late. Not fromm jsut one or two people either, but several.

27. astanley

astanley En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Stanley
    John was a class act. He and I emailed when I started helo lessons and talked extensively about career change. This post just further proves what a class act he was.

Cheers,

-Andrew

28. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
  29. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I was called a bad pilot, which is one of the worst insults I can imagine.

30. gismo

gismo Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iGismo
    I knew John pretty well, went flying with him in my airplanes and his (sort of) helicopters and I'm pretty certain he'd approve that as part of his legacy.

31. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    I posted it in Spin Zone... But it's not a Sticky yet! Nor is that awesome engine-out thread, wherever it is. Did you guys on the MC run out of glue?