Joby Aviation eVTOL Vehicle Down 2/16

Some say the ‘flying car’ is just around the corner? Just wait until they’re in widespread use.

Some say the ‘flying car’ is just around the corner? Just wait until they’re in widespread use.

whatever will the media do. There will be dozens of plane crashes a day, people will be dying by the dozens. And none of them will have filed a flight plan.

Wring your hands, oh woe is us.

My step brother worked on Joby… I’ll have to text him..

Ha, Paul Moller and his "Volanter" both became obsolete a decade ago, but he's still around. I don't want a flying car, I just want a quiet aircraft I can use from my house.

Test flight. "Stuff" happens. That's why aircraft go through certification processes. Fortunately, this one was being piloted remotely, and there were no injuries.

Wonder if that 275 mph was hit in level flight. Pretty impressive if it was.

Wonder if that 275 mph was hit in level flight. Pretty impressive if it was.
Interesting that the “impressive speed” number happened to be in mph while the rest where in knots. Maybe bad reporting, but more likely sensationalism.

I look at this EVTOL air taxi urban transport thing and recall Eclipse Aviation and how their 4,000 unit order book was going to revolutionize personal travel, etc, etc.

These things are going to easily cost $1M each. Four passengers paying fifty bucks each to commute downtown isn't going to work. I won't bother discussing certification, landing sites, and a dozen other impediments.

I look at this EVTOL air taxi urban transport thing and recall Eclipse Aviation and how their 4,000 unit order book was going to revolutionize personal travel, etc, etc.

These things are going to easily cost $1M each. Four passengers paying fifty bucks each to commute downtown isn't going to work. I won't bother discussing certification, landing sites, and a dozen other impediments.
Yep. Bullish I'm not.

I would be quite surprised if you'd have to amortize less than $150 million by the time it's certified.

That's awesome! In part because it says they're doing some flying from Plattsburgh.

It makes perfect sense that one of the first uses for electric aircraft is military, because the missions don't have to make much economic sense. I know it's apples and oranges, but RC electric, both fixed and helicopter, took a huge hold over gas. Way more reliable, quieter and higher performance. The main disadvantages for this scaling up seem to be cost, range, and to some extent battery safety, and those may have less impact on military compared to civilian.

Before pilotless flying taxis they need to make a spellchecker that works and an Amazon Alexa that doesn't occasionally say "hmm, something seems to have gone wrong"

Back