Job search

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
My son John has been laid off from his job in Afghanistan as contractors begin a sudden draw-down of presence. Below is an excerpt from his LinkedIn page that has not yet been updated. If you know of any job leads in or near San Diego or anywhere in the US, or anywhere, please let us know. Thanks.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=13479056&locale=en_US&trk=tyah
My background is extremely diverse, however it's also deeply rooted. I have extensive experience in DoD acquisitions, Satellite Communications, networking, communication, technical support, training and technology.

I have over 13 years of military experience as both enlisted and an officer, while performing Satellite Operations. I have flown GPS and Milstar satellites, as well as planned launch and early orbit operations and supports. Recently, I have been working on the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) which supports network centric radio communications using a Software Defined Radio.

I have over 25 years of experience dealing with computers, networking, and operating systems. I am close to a Masters in Software Engineering. Over a decade of providing technical support or managing technical support groups for applications, systems and networks.

My technical background shows an extensive trail of increasing responsibility and expanding knowledge of technology and communications. I stood up a new organization to provide training. This training is collegiate-accredited by following Instructional System Design (ISD) processes to ensure consistent, quality instruction.

My managerial and leadership background is also extensive. I've elevated from managing just a few people, to owning my own retail store, to also managing an 17 person division within a corporation. I understand the nuances of managing individuals, as well as guiding an entire group to meet the overall needs of the corporation.

Finally, I have a keen business acumen. This skill is enhanced by a Masters in Business Administration with a minor emphasis within Mergers and Acquisitions. I've studied abroad at Oxford University and attended several educational institutions.

I have Sun Network Admin and System Admin certification, Occupational Instructor certification, and have the classes needed for a DAWIA Level 2 DoD Acquisitions Personnel certification (ACQ 101, 201A, 201B, etc).

Specialties:Mergers and Acquisitions, network administration, system administration, satellite operations, technical support, technical training, technical support, knowledge management, leadership, manufacturing, military, SATCOM, acquisitions

Well your son has an impressive resume. Don't know about the market for his particular experience but if he has the Post 9/11 GI Bill he could use it for flight training. Obviously he'd be taking a completely different career track and it would be a long road but it can be done. Also the UAV sector is just taking off right now. I know a pilot who has no UAV experience and got hired on as a team leader making well over 6 figures.

Good luck to your son and I hope he finds something.

Defense contractors are in a tight spot right now, especially services side (and hardware to a lesser degree). If he's got the right tickets & experience in intel, there should be opportunities, though, as that's a key area right now.

SoCal has a lot of defense folks on the street, including some very good business development folks. While I wouldn't exclude SoCal from the search, many of the defense folks are moving work to lower cost locations.

If he's looking to move out of defense, he might want to consult with a resume expert to present his skills in a way that the commercial market will pick them up. I think the skills are there, but only a limited number of folks in the commercial sector will understand what some of the mil terminology means.

In Denver, Colorado

Sierra Nevada
Lockheed Martin
Raytheon
Miller Technology Group
Ball Aerospace
Northrop Grumman
Boeing
ISS (Integrated Software Systems)

and just about the entire city of Colorado Springs.

Have him look for jobs in Albuquerque - that's all Albuquerque has for jobs these days, but they're all right up his alley.

Sandia National Labs
Los Alamost National Labs
Any number of government contractors (TASC, SAIC, Ball Aerospace, etc. etc. etc).

Seriously, I hated Albuquerque, but it does seem to be calling your son's name.

Thanks to all of you who responded, both privately and publicly. I'm not sure whether my son is back in the States or still on his way. He just emailed this:

If you want to send [private] my resume, I've attached it. I think the Training & Development and Sr Manager are the most promising.

I've written down all the employers they've mentioned and will work my way through their careers websites.

Once again, thanks

Not sure how much those jobs are paying, but here in the eagleford shale the base floorhand postion on a rig pays around 65K a year working 2 weeks out of the month. If he's able to progress fast, the pay scale increases steadily and caps out around 325K a year if your a top consultant. But its hard work starting out. Its not for everyone and most times a degree doesn't mean much in the beginning.

Not sure how much those jobs are paying, but here in the eagleford shale the base floorhand postion on a rig pays around 65K a year working 2 weeks out of the month. If he's able to progress fast, the pay scale increases steadily and caps out around 325K a year if your a top consultant. But its hard work starting out. Its not for everyone and most times a degree doesn't mean much in the beginning.

Agree that it's not for everyone...it's some of the hardest and most dangerous work there is (outside of the military). The money is good - it is earned, every penny.

I started in it more than 30 years ago and it's mostly worked out.

Back