JME- Can I still pass my medical?

thenewseverum

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Severum
Well, I am a student pilot, Ive been flying since I was 16, well, I got diagnosed with a juvenile case of epilepsey. I am on medication and doing great. However, I read in the FAR/AIM that if you have ever been diagnosed with epilepsy you cant get a medical, I am wondering, due to the fact that it was a juvenile case of it, is it at all possible to still get my medical or no? I want to fly so badly but if I cant pass it then theres no point, I figured I would ask here instead of wasting $75 at the doctors just to tell me I cant. If anyone has any insight, please feel free to share.

First go back delete your post and post anon.
Second, I don't know the answer to your questions but check out LSA or gliders if a PPCert is not in your future. Now I don't know if you would qualifiy for either of those but its worth a look see.
Finally. Seek out the Adivice of Bruce Chein on this board an M.D. with a company which goal it is to help with the difficult medical. I would suggest respectfully that your money is best spent with him before anywhere else.

Well, I am a student pilot, Ive been flying since I was 16, well, I got diagnosed with a juvenile case of epilepsey. I am on medication and doing great. However, I read in the FAR/AIM that if you have ever been diagnosed with epilepsy you cant get a medical, I am wondering, due to the fact that it was a juvenile case of it, is it at all possible to still get my medical or no? I want to fly so badly but if I cant pass it then theres no point, I figured I would ask here instead of wasting $75 at the doctors just to tell me I cant. If anyone has any insight, please feel free to share.

Ok, there is more than $75 at stake here, stop right now. Do not go for a medical.

First you need to get advice either here (from a real doctor (not me)) or at the AOPA medical area. I believe that you can still get the free six month membership.

Find out first. If you are going to fail, you do not want to do that.

If (and I mean IF) there is no safety issue - you want to talk to your doctor about this but NOT an AME as part of a FAA physical - you may have the option of flying as a light sport pilot. However if you attempt the medical and fail, this option is lost.

Did I mention that you do not want to go for a "medical" until you KNOW you will pass?

@ Adamz, dude tbh, idc who knows my medical condition. I do not have my real name posted on here and I tell everyone that I have it. It does not bother me.

@ Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe, Yeah I understand that. However how would my regular doctor know whether or not I will pass or fail? I asked my neurologist about it and he says he has no clue about the regulations the FAA has. So... yeah.. I guess I could go and see my doctor and see what he says.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe, Yeah I understand that. However how would my regular doctor know whether or not I will pass or fail? I asked my neurologist about it and he says he has no clue about the regulations the FAA has. So... yeah.. I guess I could go and see my doctor and see what he says.

The reg doc. will likely have no clue about the regulations pass/fail, but I assume he may have some idea how likely it is you will have some kind of problem while operating an aircraft, or heavy machinery, or... The kind of questions you would want answered if you go the LSA route.

Whatever Dr. Chien said, listen.

@ Adamz, dude tbh, idc who knows my medical condition. I do not have my real name posted on here and I tell everyone that I have it. It does not bother me.

@ Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe, Yeah I understand that. However how would my regular doctor know whether or not I will pass or fail? I asked my neurologist about it and he says he has no clue about the regulations the FAA has. So... yeah.. I guess I could go and see my doctor and see what he says.

I was more concerned with you posting info in the medical forum that you could be later haunted by the FAA for. Just trying to give ya a little protection. I see Bruce had sent you a PM. Listen to his advice. and I truly hope it works out well for you.

Going Sport Pilot after being diagnosed with epilepsy may not be an option. See http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/ for more on this. One way of handling this might be to ask the doctor who diagnosed the condition if s/he would get in an airplane flown by a qualified pilot with that condition as opposed to one without that condition (some folks wouldn't get in an airplane with any pilot).

Going Sport Pilot after being diagnosed with epilepsy may not be an option. See http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/ for more on this. One way of handling this might be to ask the doctor who diagnosed the condition if s/he would get in an airplane flown by a qualified pilot with that condition as opposed to one without that condition (some folks wouldn't get in an airplane with any pilot).

So the FAA says pretty much what I said "You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back