Jim's First Solo!

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I've been working with Jim for several months. He opted to learn in the Jabiru 170 Light Sport even though he's going for a Private Pilot, not Light Sport. I told him up front that the Jabiru was more challenging to get to the solo point than our Cherokee 140, but that when he got there he'd be a better pilot. The Jab flies more like a taildragger in that you HAVE to know how to use your feet to fly it well. It's quite unforgiving of sloppiness.

Two lessons ago he confided that he was about to admit defeat and accept the fact that he'd never master the Jabiru. I, on the other hand, saw the incremental progress...even though it seemed painfully slow at times. But then something "clicked" and suddenly the sight-picture was there, the "feel" was there and he was nailing landing after landing on our last flight. So I told him, "Get that pre-solo test done!" (He'd been procrastinating on it for awhile, knowing he wasn't close to solo.)

Tonight he arrived to build on the success of our last flight, with the hope that later this week he MIGHT actually solo since the presolo test was done and we had a chance to discuss it. It was a gorgeous evening at KFCM with no wind and cool temps. His flying was spot on. As we flew we reviewed all we'd been through. He did forward slips (perfectly!), we had a baby crawl out onto the runway necessitating a go-around. We even lost an engine downwind and had to make an emergency landing. All done within the PTS.

At one point he even said, "I'm going to get this!" As we flew we talked about his work schedule this week (he's headed out of town tomorrow) and the possibility of soloing later in the week when he returns..."if he was ready, of course." :)

After another sweet landing I said, "Let's head back." As we taxied in I told him to stop by the FBO door. As I opened the door of the Jabiru I said, "Why don't you take it around the pattern by yourself. You're ready."

The look of shock, excitement and a hint of fear was priceless!

"Seriously?", he asked.

"Seriously. I'll be on the handheld if you need me." I called the tower to give them a heads-up.

With that he was off. The sun was getting low in the west as I watched him take off and make three awesome takeoffs and landings. After his last landing the tower congratulated him on a job well done. That made his day!

Congrats, Jim! Onward to the cross-country phase!

Attachments

• GriffithJim_FirstSolo_Certificate_web.jpg
    GriffithJim_FirstSolo_Certificate_web.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 58
. As I opened the door of the Jabiru I said, "Why don't you take it around the pattern by yourself. You're ready."

I remember that feeling so well ( it wasn't long ago) my instructor said "you're ready, how do you feel ?"

I was all , "lets do it next week, no now, no next week, no..." to which he stepped out and said " 3 full stop landings please and pick me up here when you're done, thanks"

Oh and I had an alternator regulator failure on the first lap :yikes:, took care of that, then did even notice I was on my own after that

Congrats to both of you

Congrats to Jim if he can land a light sport he will have no trouble with a Cherokee 140.

gotta watch those crawlin babies!

congrats!!!!!

Congratulations to Jim! I commend him for persevering through the frustration. :thumbsup:

Back