Jimmy Buffet Has Gone West

I've seen him in concert. I've gotten totally hammered and relaxed to his music. I've listened to his music floating down the Chattahoochee on a raft, drinking cheap beer and watching half-naked co-eds jump off of a prominent rock.

His music and the idyllic attitude it created will be missed. Tailwinds.

What's sobering to me is he was 76 and had all the money in the world to buy the best healthcare. Yet he's no longer with us.

Enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever....
My Dad died from the same type of cancer as Jimmy. Merkel Cell Carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that is very aggressive and usually metastasize into your lymph nodes and internal organs as it did with my Dad. It is a very rare form of cancer that is not well studied. As a consequence, there are no known effective treatments and only about 2% of those diagnosed with that form of cancer live 5 years after the date of diagnoses and many die well short of that. Some oncologists will use a combination of surgery to remove the tumors and lymph nodes, and then radiate the affected area. My Dad made it 2 years. So all the money in the world would not have helped Jimmy Buffett.

For those of you that like the sun, get checked regularly for skin cancer. If you notice small growths under your skin, don’t ignore them like my Dad, get them checked out. My Dad was a pilot, a U.S. Air Force Korean War vet, long time CAF volunteer and did hundreds of airshows in the hot sun without lotions and only a hat. No doubt that extended exposure without protection turned out to the cause of his cancer which then couple with male stubbornness, lead to an early death at 75.

My Dad died from the same type of cancer as Jimmy. Merkel Cell Carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that is very aggressive and usually metastasize into your lymph nodes and internal organs as it did with my Dad. It is a very rare form of cancer that is not well studied. As a consequence, there are no known effective treatments and only about 2% of those diagnosed with that form of cancer live 5 years after the date of diagnoses and many die well short of that. Some oncologists will use a combination of surgery to remove the tumors and lymph nodes, and then radiate the affected area. My Dad made it 2 years. So all the money in the world would not have helped Jimmy Buffett.

For those of you that like the sun, get checked regularly for skin cancer. If you notice small growths under your skin, don’t ignore them like my Dad, get them checked out. My Dad was a pilot, a U.S. Air Force Korean War vet, long time CAF volunteer and did hundreds of airshows in the hot sun without lotions and only a hat. No doubt that extended exposure without protection turned out to the cause of his cancer which then couple with male stubbornness, lead to an early death at 75.
Interesting and informative; thank you for posting. Didn't want to just leave a like, because cancer sucks.

Back