Jim Gaston

Just saw it on the Ft Smith Ch 5 news.... Bummer.

73 isn't that old in this day and age. From what did he perish? Of course, condolences to those who knew him.

Not to detract from the more important concern of a person's death, but I do wonder what this means for the airstrip.
If he was the principal of the business, and the driving force behind keeping it available, there could be a problem.
Incoming folks (family, or new owners, or a different partnership balance) might see the airstrip in a different light.

I doubt any sale; his son is running the place, has been for years.

Very sad to hear- he was a real gentleman, a good and welcoming host.

Well, that sux.

I have a feeling that Jim's son has grown to appreciate the airstrip and the fly-in business it brings in...like ours, which is just one of many...but I've been wrong before.

Time will tell. The locals frequent the restaurant and anglers do drive to stay. I've never flown in to find zero other aircraft on the strip. Everyone seems to at least have lunch at the restaurant. Should be a profitable business.

A true gentleman in every sense of the word. RIP

Thanks for posting that, Brian. I had not heard. Very sad indeed.

Not to detract from the more important concern of a person's death, but I do wonder what this means for the airstrip.
If he was the principal of the business, and the driving force behind keeping it available, there could be a problem.
Incoming folks (family, or new owners, or a different partnership balance) might see the airstrip in a different light.

I doubt any sale; his son is running the place, has been for years.

Very sad to hear- he was a real gentleman, a good and welcoming host.

Not Gastons out here of course, but Horizon Airport was privately owned but open to the public. The owner passed and the son tried to make a go of it and really put in the effort, but it closed last year. The original owner really knows the ins and outs of these businesses which is what keeps them open.

It's going to depend on how his son feels. I know the runway hasn't been upkept very well in the last few years. The local FSDO is getting interested in the increase in accidents. Plus the clientele has changed a bit over the years.

I got into an argument last week with a woman walking her lap dog on the runway. We were running up to leave and she wouldn't move. I shut down, got out and walked over to explain to the woman that she needed to move. Needless to say she thought we were a nuisance to her and her dog......:mad2:

I felt sorry for her husband because she looked like a straight up Jersey Shore ***ch!!

Yikes. Then again I have a neice that behaves the same way at times. Go figure.

Back