Jim Bede has gone west

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
Sorry to hear that Jim Bede passed away earlier today.

I did some work with Jim back in the Bede-12/14 days.

He was a great host to my wife and I when we visited his facility, almost got to fly in the BD-10. He was also very great to us when we visited his display at Oshkosh with the BD-12.

BD-12 graphics designed and fabricated by yours truly:
bd-12-2_zpszysnbkbe.jpg

Bede-12_zpsykdfcai3.jpg

BD12-1_zpscmq5mgj3.jpg

Jim was a truly visionary designer who has left a remarkable legacy (both good and bad) across both certified and experimental aviation.

God speed Jim Bede.

'Gimp

He was indeed an innovative designer. His BD-1 was the basis for the American AA-1 Yankee, which in turn led to the four-seat Grumman American AA-5 Traveler, Cheetah and Tiger.

For you whippersnappers who don't remember the Bede-mania of the mid-1960s, read this May 1965 Flying magazine article, "Promises, Promises", here (scroll down to page 79):
https://books.google.com/books?id=B...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attached below are scans of the Bede literature that came to our house when my dad wrote for information about the BD-1 in 1964.

Attachments

• BD-1_brochure1.jpg
    BD-1_brochure1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
  • BD-1_brochure2.jpg
    BD-1_brochure2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 45
  • BD-1_brochure3.jpg
    BD-1_brochure3.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 42
  • BD-1_brochure4.jpg
    BD-1_brochure4.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 37
  • BD-1_pricelist.jpg
    BD-1_pricelist.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BD-1_coverltr1.jpg
    BD-1_coverltr1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 33
  • BD-1_coverltr2.jpg
    BD-1_coverltr2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 31
  • BD-1_app.jpg
    BD-1_app.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 31
Great at vision, little short on completion.
The BD-1 design didn't get really interesting until after LoPresti cleaned it up.

Yeah, he was an interesting guy. That's all I will say.

Too many visions at once,not enough time to complete them,may he rest in peace.

Totally crazy. I DVR'd a "miniature airplane" show last week and just watched it last night. Jim Bede appeared on it and I looked at my wife and said, "I'm pretty sure he just died today". She thought I was totally making it up until I pulled up Bede's website and there was a statement on there. She thinks I'm a psychic now.

I'd love to fly one of those Bede jets. RIP.

I suppose I'm one of the aforementioned whippersnappers, but I'll never forget this:

If your stuff makes it into a James Bond flick, you are pretty darn cool.

RIP

Last edited:
Bought my Arrow from Bede Corp...guess the paint scheme...RIP Jim

I suppose I'm one of the aforementioned whippersnappers, but I'll never forget this:

If your stuff makes it into a James Bond flick, you are pretty darn cool.

RIP

I think that clip is pretty accurate....3-4 minutes of flight time!

RIP, Jim.

Before the BD-1 there was the XBD-2 (naturally!). First flown in 1961, it had a suction boundary layer control system with 164,000 pinholes in the upper wing surfaces. Air was pulled through those holes and blown into the engine compartment. Two Continental O-300-A engines (145 hp each) drove a shrouded three-blade prop. Bede claimed :rolleyes: a cruising speed of 179 mph.

The XBD-2's one lasting legacy was the fiberglass main landing gear which was used on the BD-1, and later on the AA-1x and AA-5x series.

xbd-2.jpg

Before the BD-1 there was the XBD-2 (naturally!). First flown in 1961, it had a suction boundary layer control system with 164,000 pinholes in the upper wing surfaces. Air was pulled through those holes and blown into the engine compartment. Two Continental O-300-A engines (145 hp each) drove a shrouded three-blade prop. Bede claimed :rolleyes: a cruising speed of 179 mph.

The XBD-2's one lasting legacy was the fiberglass main landing gear which was used on the BD-1, and later on the AA-1x and AA-5x series.

xbd-2.jpg

I drive past the XBD-2 every time I go to the airport, its sitting in front of KMTW on a pedestal. Never knew about the holes in the wings or the two engines, just thought it was a bread box with tiny wings :D

Couple pictures.. They repainted it last year from the other paint job posted above (not sure why, this new paint job looks like a 5 year old did it :dunno:).

ACF3OYm.jpg

E1azE8U.jpg

6Gpxx1e.jpg

ATQl1Ns.jpg

Holes still visible in the last picture.

Couple pictures.. They repainted it last year from the other paint job posted above (not sure why, this new paint job looks like a 5 year old did it :dunno:).

ACF3OYm.jpg

E1azE8U.jpg

6Gpxx1e.jpg

ATQl1Ns.jpg

Holes still visible in the last picture.

That's the 3rd paint scheme that I know of. The mailbox letters really set it off :rolleyes:

A true visionary in aviation, a world where sameness is more often rewarded than innovation.

RIP, sir.

I'd love to fly one of those Bede jets. RIP.

RIP to the man.

You may want to re-think flying the jet however.

I heard every single one of them has crashed and either killed the pilot or were totalled or had some kind of incident. This is heresay I heard mind you...:redface: .

I applaud those who are willing to do some things outside of the box in aviation, and he certainly seemed to be one of those people. I had never seen the XBD-2 before, very interesting stuff.

Is taking people's money and not delivering product considered inside, or outside, "the box" for aviation? :dunno:

Yep, just about every company established to commercially produce the BD-10 design lost it's president in a crash of the jet.

Being from the same town, I met Jim a couple of years ago through the local EAA chapter. He gave a wonderful talk in the shop of one of the members who had an in-process BD-5. This is truly sad.

Back