JIFP vs FliteStar IFR

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
Greetings all !
Is anyone out there using Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner and/or FliteStar ? I like the price of JIFP more than FliteStar IFR.

Attachments

• jifp_matrix.pdf
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The nice thing about Flitestar is that it works even when there's no network. Otherwise, I think you're fine with JIFP.

Oh - I think Flitestar can support some more advanced modelling for W&B in the corporate version, useful on some aircraft where fuel burn significantly affects CG.

I use FliteStar IFR, but I use aeroplanner.com for online planning as an alternate, too. Like TM mentioned FliteStar will do a preliminary flight plan off line, but if you want to integrate winds aloft and view current TFRs on the graphics you'll need an internet connection.

I can build a flight plan more quickly with Flitestar and I like the trip kit navigation log it generates, but I also like the trip-tick package that aeroplanner creates as it contains more airport graphics and info. I suspect I will drop eventually drop Flitestar as their tech support is woefully lacking from my experience. Aeroplanner, on the other hand, has been quite sincere in their product support and openness to product improvements. I will probably replace Flitestar with Destination Direct for compatibility with aeroplanner online data.

I have no experience with JIFP.

I use FliteStar IFR too. Besides an internet connection it can also use a modem to dial duats for weather. No experience with JIFP.

I like FliteStar or at least am so familiar with it and have my usual airplane models tweeked to they are very accurate for the way I fly.

One thing I really wish it had was user defined departure and arrival procedures.

Joe

I use Aeroplanner too. I like it. I haven't tried their GPS updates. JIFP is a little expensive than Aeroplanner's Premium service. I was thinking of moving to FliteStar because it would integrate well with JeppView. I saw the JIFP demo online, which was very well done.

I'm not sure if JIFP will integrate at all with JeppView. That's a question for Jeppesen. The desire for "one stop shopping" is strong. Preflight: DUAT/DUATs for routing and weather briefing, aeroplanner for graphics & information, then over to JeppView for IAPs, DP/STARs... load up the maps. Y'all get the picture.

Areeda said:
I use FliteStar IFR too. Besides an internet connection it can also use a modem to dial duats for weather. No experience with JIFP.

I like FliteStar or at least am so familiar with it and have my usual airplane models tweeked to they are very accurate for the way I fly.

One thing I really wish it had was user defined departure and arrival procedures.

Joe

A few things that FliteStar does that interests me is fuel-stop planning and optimizing altitudes with winds. JIFP doesn't do that. Aeroplanner does, sort of.

jdwatson said:
A few things that FliteStar does that interests me is fuel-stop planning and optimizing altitudes with winds. JIFP doesn't do that. Aeroplanner does, sort of.

I use the optimize altitude almost every flight plan and it works well when the winds are close to predicted. You see time and cost at all the altitudes between MEA and ceiling of your plane.

I don't use the fuel-stop planning. My typical technique is to plan a flight along airways. The look in the nav log for about 3 hr legs. Then check Airnav for fuel prices, restaurants, hotels... to pick fuel stops. Then I go back and plan the actual flights using airways if we're IFR with high MEA otherwise more direct. Most of the time the planes I fly have longer enduance than I do.

Joe

Areeda said:
Most of the time the planes I fly have longer enduance than I do.
Joe

I've suggest to Aeroplanner that they update their Fuel-Stop planner to tie it to fuel-burn and winds rather than distances. I've got an 8hr bladder, so far I can go further than 172s & the T206H that I fly. My Bride has a 2hr bladder, and that suits the planes I rent. :)

Does FliteStar fuel planning use hours or distance ?

jdwatson said:
I've suggest to Aeroplanner that they update their Fuel-Stop planner to tie it to fuel-burn and winds rather than distances. I've got an 8hr bladder, so far I can go further than 172s & the T206H that I fly. My Bride has a 2hr bladder, and that suits the planes I rent. :)

Does FliteStar fuel planning use hours or distance ?

FliteStar uses fuel remaining with a max leg time.

FS_FuelPlan.png

To use Aeroplanner's GPS route downloads you have to install a free routine called EasyGPS to translate the data. I've used it with my Garmin 96 handheld. Flitestar has the download interface built in, an outcome of the Garmin/Jeppesen oligopoly on nav data, I suppose.

jdwatson said:
I use Aeroplanner too. I like it. I haven't tried their GPS updates. JIFP is a little expensive than Aeroplanner's Premium service. I was thinking of moving to FliteStar because it would integrate well with JeppView. I saw the JIFP demo online, which was very well done.

I downloaded EasyGPS today. Looks like it will "save" me from having to buy the navaid data updates. I'll still need to get obstacles for my Garmin 96C.

Areeda said:
FliteStar uses fuel remaining with a max leg time.

FS_FuelPlan.png

I like the way FliteStar does that. Nice dialog. Thanks for posting it !

I am only a VFR pilot, but I got Filestar IFR in a package deal of goodies I bought.

So far I like it a lot, though the whole 28day updates things sucks and can get expensive (especially in conjunction with having to update my GPS too!).

However I can do a ton of pre-flight planning, get the winds aloft data just before liftoff and then plug it all into my 295.

Makes for SWEET and easy flying. Plus I also print out kneeboard nav logs and do that as a backup to the GPS. So far, so good!

you can order less frequent updates for Flitestar - either order a single update, or three a year.

I order three a year, but since I have 28 day coverage for JeppView I find that I get 28 day downloads for Flitestar as well.

Back