JFK - San Diego April 19-24

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
I'm following the Troy's Bangalore thread with interest, and realized what a wealth of travel experience we have here. My trip is much less exotic, but thought maybe someone here had some suggestions.

My wife and I will be flying JetBlue from JFK-SAN. I'm going to a convention Thursday and Friday, but we have Monday evening, and all day Tuesday and Wednesday to sight-see. We already have Zoo tickets for Saturday, before catching the red-eye back to JFK.

We're staying at the Hampton Inn Sea World. I guess that implies that Sea World would be close by :). Is Catalina hard to get to from San Diego? I have thought about getting an airplane rental checkout and flying, or looking for maybe a glider flight, but I need to remember that this is a trip for BOTH my wife and I :). I guess could rent a car for a couple of days. Tiajuana? Naval Base?

Any suggestions for parking at JFK? For the cost for two of us to take a bus from Allentown PA to JFK, I could probably drive myself and pay to park for a few days.

Can't advise on getting from SD to Catalina... but if you're going to the zoo at Balboa Park, leave time for all the other awesome stuff there, like the small but excellent aviation and art museums.

You don't need to rent a car to take in a lot of stuff in SD...the park, downtown waterfront (with an amazing maritime museum, as well as the USS Midway), etc. are all pretty easy to get to without one.

But if you do rent a car, I'd recommend a trip up to Palomar... a great drive even if you don't visit the observatory. There's a decent restaurant on the way up the mountain, too- nice place for lunch.

A quick drive to La Jolla is pretty much mandatory, too- rent a kayak and paddle out to look at the seals and other critters in the cove there. Cheaper than Sea World, and more fun, if you ask me.
Just north of there is the Torry Pines Gliderport, where they launch off the cliff and take advantage of the onshore breezes. Don't know if anyone gives rides there.

As for JFK: if you park out in "no man's land" to save some money, it's not too bad- there are shuttle buses to/from the terminals, and if you're parked way out there, it's less hassle getting into/away from the airport itself, traffic-wise.

I have some limited expereince but I'll happily share it with you

1) JFK parking- Not as easy as PHL but a hell of a lot better the EWR. The long term parking there works well and its not to hard to find a decent spot. Alternativly you can google JFK parking and find a bunch of private lots and print the coupons for online discounts. I have parked super inexpensivly that way. Other option is to drive and stay overnite in a motel with free parking and shuttle servcie. I've done that too and if I'm there a week the one night room rate is less expensive than the parking at a lot for 5 days.

2) San Diego. I'm sure you will see the gaslamp or gas light district. It was ok but was not blown away by it. I really enjoyed Ocean Side, very funky little town neat little shops and cafes.

3) The area around the convention center is blah but walking around the marinas nearby can make you really want to move from PA, by a boat and live on it :D

4) Tijuana. Is a freaking Pit. My advice is to stay away. Tijuana is not Mexico its a Scam town and sewer which only purpose suck the money out of your wallet. IMHO Epcot has a more authentic version of Mexico. Also sitting in a line at the border ain't a great way to spend your time.

5) Your in Hamburg. CABELAS:D
You need to come to the WingsFlyBQ you so close!!!

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure someone with a bit more detailed and extensive knowleged of the area will chime in.

USS Midway, just down the road (walking distance) from the airport. Another few blocks to Seaport Village for shopping. Hop the ferry across the bay to Coronado - tour the Hotel del Coronado.

After the zoo, walk over to the Balboa Park Air Museum - there's a number of other museums around Balboa Park as well.

Drive down Point Loma to Cabrillo Monument and lighthouse.

Take a harbor dinner cruise.

Add the Escondido Wild Animal Park to your zoo park as a combo.

1/2 day fishing boat out of Dana Point.

Scuba off Point Loma into the kelp beds.

Down to Ensenada for fish tacos.

Drive up PCH (Pacific Coast Highway)

that ought to keep you busy for another week or two ... :)

Oh yes, I forgot: FORGET TIJUANA. STAY AWAY. If you happen to know someone who lives there, like maybe one of the gringos who work in SD but rent an apt. in TJ to save money, you might have something resembling a good time there, with them to guide you.
but otherwise- STAY AWAY.
I'm sure Mexico has some lovely places to visit, but TJ sure ain't one of them.
:no:

It sounds like SD should have more than enough attractions to keep you there. That being said, we really enjoyed Catalina Island when we met Joe Areeda there last year. Of course, the boat ride out there was half the fun.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

The zoo is amazing, and check out the aviation museum there, and Midway downtown, as others have said. Also, consider going up to Miramar and checking out the Flying Leathernecks museum. It's free and it's right on the edge of the base. I was there yesterday, they've got a nice collection of static aircraft (all Marine) and there was an endless stream of F-18s flying in and out just a little ways away.

Unfortunately during his trip I will be out of town. I'm going from LA to DTW in a Cirrus, and assuming weather blesses us we will be at Diana & Tom's farm for part of it.

I'm not too hep on where to rent in San Diego but there are plenty of places. Catalina is weird enough I recommend you take someone familiar the first time you land there.

Flying in this part of the country is a good experience, I highly recommend you do it.

Joe

A note about renting aircraft in the area (although I know you may not do that):
I highly recommend First Flight at Brown- Tom and the gang are nice folks, and they have great planes at good rates.

http://firstflightcorp.com/aircraft.html

KSDM is a pretty laid-back class D airport with a good bar/grill on the field, and many interesting aircraft based there.
I may be wrong, but I think it's possible to get there by train and bus from downtown... but with a rental car it's much quicker and easier. Probably not too expensive by taxi, especially if you take the train to the border crossing and "cab it" to the field from there (it's very close to TJ; you can see the tower at that airport from the pattern at Brown).

Also a very friendly EAA chapter (14) that does a free lunch in Hangar 1 every Saturday.
And if you're feeling adventurous, there's a sky-diving school next door to First Flight... :D

http://www.pacificcoastskydiving.com/

You got some good stuff already about SD. If you do get the rental car get the extra insuranc eto go into Mexico. Yes, Adam is right, TJ is a pit, no reason to stop there. But continue on past TJ ont he coast road and there is some good stuff. The first place would be Fox Studios. This is where Titanic was filmed and some of the sets are set up for tours. There are plenty of cool models to see plus the tall ship used in the Russel Crowe/Pat O'Brien movie is there. Going past the Fox studio is a small town called Puerto Nuevo. This is a great town, famous for deep fried lobsters with lots of restaurants catering to this local treat. It sounds a little gross but it is great and not greasy at all. The prices are right with a lobster and couple of beers running you about $20 tops! Keep heading south and you run into Encinada, a cool tourist town.

If you've never been, you have to go to:
in_n_out_logo-742140.jpg

If you have been, you already know you have to go.

Last edited:
Back