JFK Near miss

Okay... far be it from me to judge... but does anyone else think the Aerogal pilot sounded a little... clueless?

-Rich

I can't believe the entire air traffic separation system depended upon one observant pilot in another plane giving the tower controller a heads up.

I can't believe the entire air traffic separation system depended upon one observant pilot in another plane giving the tower controller a heads up.

Well, not the whole system. But one error can go undetected with fatal results.

Actually the entire air traffic separation system depends on all people doing their jobs. It almost failed because of one non-observant pilot in a Aerogal aircraft

That's an upset controller. Wow.

My first (actually, my only, now that I think about it) time flying through New York's class B, I was on the same frequency as the departures out of Kennedy and an Aeromexico jet decided to switch to his company frequency for a few minutes. When he came back on (New York had tried to call him three or four times), all of us on frequency got a master class in how to royally chew someone out in as few words as possible.

If AeroMexico is that bad, isn't there a way to make it very difficult for them to get into the airspace? "Revised routing is via Choo Choo VOR, then Badger VOR then Aberdeen VOR then..."

If AeroMexico is that bad, isn't there a way to make it very difficult for them to get into the airspace? "Revised routing is via Choo Choo VOR, then Badger VOR then Aberdeen VOR then..."

Nah, then you get "Diplomatic" payback of, "American 1234 heavy, Mexico City, advise you when you have Reykjavik VOR."

All I can say is JFK tower sounds like he has a handle on it even when his drawers are getting wet. Bravo Zulu.

Wow, a good example that even supposed "pros" screw up. What the heck was the copilot doing during this event, sleeping?

Reinforces my SOP to load the ILS if available or GPS approach if not whenever I'm landing at a unfamiliar multi-runway airport even when VFR. If the HSI isn't happy then I'm pointing at the wrong runway!

All I can say is JFK tower sounds like he has a handle on it even when his drawers are getting wet. Bravo Zulu.

The guys at NY ( I've only dealt with approach) are top notch! Sharp, professional and friendly and humorus too. So long as your competent that is.

Actually, I cannot believe the composure of the controller who almost had a Tenerife on his hands. Real pro, that guy.

The guys at NY ( I've only dealt with approach) are top notch! Sharp, professional and friendly and humorus too. So long as your competent that is.

The first two, yes, always. The second two really depends on the time of day.

Quite frankly I was waiting to hear "Aerogal, call the tower when at the gate"........ :idea:

I deal with the NY controllers all the time: Center, JFK, LGA, EWR, TRACON, My brother in law was a controller and ATC manager in this region for years, and is now in the southwest US running a major ATC hub there. I have been inside the towers and control centers as his guest. Let me tell you, they are among the most senior, highly trained and retrained folks in the entire traffic control system. This is one of the most complex slices of the sky anywhere in the world. Think about it: Two major international airports (JFK and EWR) Four major domestic/regional fields (LGA HPN ISP and TEB all within a 20 NM radius, Add the language barriers (forget the spanish-english issues, tune into the live ATC sometime and see how difficult it is with asian pilots communicating with ATC) Hats off to all these guys and gals, they are and have to be the best.

Back