Jets of the Future - Little Jets, Big Problems

Only three years?

Vern Raburn, the controversial C.E.O. of Eclipse Aviation, wants to lead the way, if he can overcome a three-year production delay and financing shortfalls.
Hmmmm....

You know, I've seen a lot of badmouthing of Raburn and Eclipse, but, like Cirrus and Columbia, he is actually trying to innovate.

I am a major EAA member, etc. I feel like there is a certain inherent experimentation in aviation. People answer the "were flying 70 year old technology" question by answering that "it works, don't it". Maybe.

But innovation is sorely needed in aviation, and Raburn is delivering, maybe late, maybe over budget, but planes are rolling off the line and taking to the sky.

~ Christopher

You know, I've seen a lot of badmouthing of Raburn and Eclipse, but, like Cirrus and Columbia, he is actually trying to innovate.

I am a major EAA member, etc. I feel like there is a certain inherent experimentation in aviation. People answer the "were flying 70 year old technology" question by answering that "it works, don't it". Maybe.

But innovation is sorely needed in aviation, and Raburn is delivering, maybe late, maybe over budget, but planes are rolling off the line and taking to the sky.

~ Christopher
My problem with Eclipse is the hemorrhaging of funds with an overweight, top-heavy executive operation.

I think had they started with a slimmed down management and invested more sweat equity, they wouldn't be begging for more and more money from customers who now wonder if they will ever see a product.

I'm reminded of another situation not that long ago when huge sums and whole lives were poured into aviation schemes that failed miserably... even right after WWI it was not clear whether planes would ever do what people dreamed they might do... it was a very risky business to get into.
The small-jet thing is a sound concept; I think somebody will make it pay off eventually.
But probably not in the US. :rolleyes:

Back