Jet Phobia

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for next summer. I am afraid of jets though. Irrational fear considering that I don't mind a glider I just helped assemble while at 8,000ft. Plus as any normal person will attest to, I am crazy since I like to fly "little" planes. It's not a fear of control either. If another pilot is flying I don't mind. I think I could successfully have a controlled crash of anything up to a 747.

My thing is the jet if that makes sense. I don't mind 200kts or 220 at FL whatever. I'm fine with turboprops. Fine with gliders. Fine with helicopters. Fine with hang gliders. Not fine with jets that go so fast and high! I'm debating about greyhound to California and then some good sleeping pills until Hawaii?

I have confidence in the trained professionals that know 3000x more than what I know. The jet itself is the problem! Well my fear of the jet. Airbus I dislike for other reasons though. When I took a flight on a 737 I liked the takeoff and landing. The climb was fine but around the FL's came the sweating, chills, dry mouth, and shaking. Also a death grip on the chair.

Anybody else have this fear? How do you deal with it? How have you gotten over it?

It's funny though, a freefall from 36,000ft, you'd most likely blackout and have a painless death. From 8,000 or a spin in the pattern you'd be alive during and possibly a little after impact.

On the very long flights I take from the states to Dubai, I generally take a sleeping pill shortly after the first meal and ask the steward to not wake me for the rest of the flight. It isn't so strong that I won't wake up for the in-flight announcements, but combined with the lower air pressure it will definitely put me out for the duration.

I love to fly, even commercial, but the really long flights get me irritable after a few hours.

The complexity of the large airliners bothers me a little, but not the speed or altitude. Altitude, as you know, is your friend just about any time there's a problem.
My main beef with long cigar-tube flights is general discomfort... seat eegonomics, some brat behind me kicking my seat or screaming, snoring, body odor, crummy food, etc.
But i try to stay alert... being zonked out on alchohol or whatever would be bad if there was even a minor problem.
I just try to relax, keep the seat belt on but loose, do some reading, and always a window seat so i can look at whatevers out there.

The complexity of the large airliners bothers me a little, but not the speed or altitude. Altitude, as you know, is your friend just about any time there's a problem.
My main beef with long cigar-tube flights is general discomfort... seat eegonomics, some brat behind me kicking my seat or screaming, snoring, body odor, crummy food, etc.
But i try to stay alert... being zonked out on alchohol or whatever would be bad if there was even a minor problem.
I just try to relax, keep the seat belt on but loose, do some reading, and always a window seat so i can look at whatevers out there.
We would get along well on a flight. You can stay awake in the window seat, and I'll sleep on the aisle seat. ;)

I can't stand being "trapped" in the middle or window seat. :nono:

If you look at the statistics, it's far safer to travel on a commercial airliner than a small airplane.

For whatever reason, riding on an airliner puts me to sleep. No artificial aids needed. I prefer to sit in the window in the sun since they tend to keep the cabin a little cool.

If it's a phobia of some sort, you probably need more help than what I can do. Are there any cruises that go to Hawaii?

I have a friend that's the same way. He loves flying with me in a 172, but hates riding on jets. He says it's because on jet he's just crammed in the back like a can of sardines and has no idea what's happening up front. When he flies with me, he can see what I'm doing and has some idea of what's going on (he's not a pilot but he's sharp enough to be able to read the gauges and such).

I'm sure you're aware of how much safer airliners are than spam cans, but I bet that doesn't help if it's a phobia.

It's funny though, a freefall from 36,000ft, you'd most likely blackout and have a painless death.

No, you really wouldn't. And won't.

For whatever reason, riding on an airliner puts me to sleep. No artificial aids needed.

Flying an airliner puts me to sleep.

Riding on one does, too.

On the very long flights I take from the states to Dubai, I generally take a sleeping pill shortly after the first meal and ask the steward to not wake me for the rest of the flight.

On most of my trips going that direction or coming back, I'm driving, so taking pills isn't an issue. When I fly commercially (Emirates, etc), I stay awake long enough to soak up the inflight meals and movies, and read a book.

If you want an interesting airline on which to ride, try LOT. Or anything out of India or Pakistan. Or Africa. Or anything in Russia.

The jet itself is the problem! Well my fear of the jet.

It's easy to say it's an irrational fear, but fear isn't rational. It's emotional.

There's not much to fear on a turbojet aircraft. The level of redundancy on the airplane in systems and functions of systems is extensive. Part 25 turbojet equipment has minimum standards of performance with an engine inoperative; loss of an engine doesn't greatly impact safety. Overwater flights are planned with loss of pressurization or power in mind, and fuel and other flight factors are assessed accordingly. When we do overseas flying, for example, we look at three different calculations for establishing equal time points for alternate fields...the points over the water at which we'll divert to a particular alternate, or turn back. We look at power loss, inflight emergencies, and pressurization loss, each with it's own unique requirements.

In each case, unless all the criteria are met to be able to make the trip safely with the necessary fuel reserves, enough oxygen, and enough alternate options, the flight won't depart.

Turbojet equipment is the most powerful, reliable, and dependable form of power plant that goes on aircraft. Turbojets (and turbofans) will run for years, decades even, once started and fed fuel.

If pressurization bothers you, don't believe what you see in the movies about airplanes explosively depressurizing because of a small hole (like a gunshot)...the outflow valves are much larger and allow air out all the time.

Don't believe the stories about toxic cabin air; it's not true. It may be some of the cleanest air you breathe.

If your'e so uncomfortable about the trip that it's keeping you up, find another way to go, or don't go at all. It's not worth the aggravation.

Otherwise, take a sleeping pill, enjoy the rest, and then enjoy the vacation when you get there. It's not a big deal.

In case this fear is physiological instead on psychological...

How high have you been in a non-pressurized aircraft?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

On most of my trips going that direction or coming back, I'm driving, so taking pills isn't an issue. When I fly commercially (Emirates, etc), I stay awake long enough to soak up the inflight meals and movies, and read a book.
I do that domestically, but I can't do it on long flights. Must be the feeling of being cooped up or something, but after the first 6-7 hours I'm not my normally calm and peaceful self.

If you want an interesting airline on which to ride, try LOT. Or anything out of India or Pakistan. Or Africa. Or anything in Russia.
And give up my frequent flier miles? :hairraise:

The only thing inducing fobia in me is the dang indignity of that cramped cattle call with the rest of the proletariat. The realization of my relative poverty never hits me in the face the way airline transportation does. Whichever arm is next to the other pauper always ends up moist to a fungus, if not outright numb, while the other one is surprisingly dry. The boarding process always triggers in my mind parallels to the fall of Saigon.

I rather drive and face a higher probability of death. Quality of life, not quantity of life fellas. I'll never be rich. Space and low population density gives me the perception of affluence. The farther I am to the rest of the mouth breathers the richer I feel... *hyperventilates*

Wait, what's the question again? lol

We would get along well on a flight. You can stay awake in the window seat, and I'll sleep on the aisle seat. ;)

I can't stand being "trapped" in the middle or window seat. :nono:
Whenever possible, that window seat is an emeegency exit seat. Trapped i am not, lol.
Since i started flying myself and encountered real turbulence, i no longer feel like getting up unless i REALLY need to use the lav, so i dont care about aisle access.
But yeah that middle seat is not good.

If you look at the statistics, it's far safer to travel on a commercial airliner than a small airplane.

For whatever reason, riding on an airliner puts me to sleep. No artificial aids needed. I prefer to sit in the window in the sun since they tend to keep the cabin a little cool.

Sheesh. Skinny people. No body fat to keep you warm! Haha.

Alright

Just remember you won't hit anything at 30,000 feet. There is nothing up there but air and clouds. Nothing solid.

Yes, airliners move fast and turbines rely on perfectly balanced parts moving at very high speeds. But at altitude they are fed only pure, clean dry air and they'll run forever like that...

Last edited:
The only thing inducing fobia in me is the dang indignity of that cramped cattle call with the rest of the proletariat. The realization of my relative poverty never hits me in the face the way airline transportation does. Whichever arm is next to the other pauper always ends up moist to a fungus, if not outright numb, while the other one is surprisingly dry. The boarding process always triggers in my mind parallels to the fall of Saigon.

I rather drive and face a higher probability of death. Quality of life, not quantity of life fellas. I'll never be rich. Space and low population density gives me the perception of affluence. The farther I am to the rest of the mouth breathers the richer I feel... *hyperventilates*

Wait, what's the question again? lol
[THREAD DRIFT]

I recently ran across this: https://www.socialflights.com/

Sounds interesting. Basically a GA version of outsourced (not sure if that term really fits the concept, but it's close) air travel. No need to go through the TSA lines, ticket counters, gate cattle call, etc. Fly on anything from a single engine piston to a King Air to a Lear Jet to a Gulfstream, depending on distance and price.

From the few comparisons I've made, smaller GA airports closer to departure/destination tend to make the price more attractive than flying with the big airlines. But for me, the biggest advantage to this would be savings in time/convenience. No need to show up to the airport an hour or two early if all you have to do is walk on to the plane a few minutes early.

[/THREAD DRIFT]

Just remember you won't hit anything at 30,000 feet. There is nothing up there but air and clouds. Nothing solid.

Other than aircraft moving just under the speed of sound.

Yes, airliners move fast and turbines rely on perfectly balanced parts moving at very high speeds. But at altitude they are fed only pure, clean dry air and they'll run forever like that...

Clean dry air and whatever pollution is riding on the jet stream, as well as the turbine oil leaking past the lab seals.

I just get bored and restless on long flights. I hate them. The thing is that there are a lot of things I like to do that I can't here in Iowa. Like surfing and bonefishing. So flying the big birds are pretty much a fact of life.

Everything about commercial flying, even when traveling at FL380 at speeds faster than a .45cal bullet, is safer than GA. I don't mean that to be rude, but the facts and stats prove it. There's something to be said about not having to deal with the crowds at the airport though. And the view of the terrain scrolling by is much better in a lower flying GA plane.

As far as comfort, yeah the back of a cattle car sucks on a long flight depending on the airline and airplane (Airbus products usually produce a better ride, btw). However, I find it funny to hear people on these board complain about the cramped quarters on an airplane when they own or fly airplanes that have a fraction of the personal space that most airliners have. Have any of y'all actually sat in the back of a Piper or Mooney? Next to someone (if the W&B permits)? Even the front seats on a lot of planes have two people rubbing shoulders.

[THREAD DRIFT]

I recently ran across this: https://www.socialflights.com/

Sounds interesting. Basically a GA version of outsourced (not sure if that term really fits the concept, but it's close) air travel. No need to go through the TSA lines, ticket counters, gate cattle call, etc. Fly on anything from a single engine piston to a King Air to a Lear Jet to a Gulfstream, depending on distance and price.

From the few comparisons I've made, smaller GA airports closer to departure/destination tend to make the price more attractive than flying with the big airlines. But for me, the biggest advantage to this would be savings in time/convenience. No need to show up to the airport an hour or two early if all you have to do is walk on to the plane a few minutes early.

[/THREAD DRIFT]
This is just a charter broker which is attempting to sell seats as well as legs. Read some of the FAQs and see if you think it is still such a great deal. I can see some big problems with this business model.

I will be going on my 5th trip from PVD to EWR to HNL in a couple weeks (5 trips in 1 calendar year...I'm not excited). I can't sleep on planes more than a few minutes (maybe 30 min max) at a time. An aisle seat is a must. Window is ok if I know the person next to me.

My phobia is getting trapped by someone who is sleeping for 10 hours. That is worse than the plane crashing in flames, IMO. On my last flight home the person to the inside of me didn't get up, didn't eat and didn't drink for 9 hours. I don't think he was human.

I have an eyePad to watch movies and play games on. I'll watch in-flight entertainment too. Doze for a few minutes, and check the moving map display to see where we're at. Rinse and repeat for 8-10 hours and viola we're landing.

I hear that volcanic ash is helpful...

I will be going on my 5th trip from PVD to EWR to HNL in a couple weeks (5 trips in 1 calendar year...I'm not excited). I can't sleep on planes more than a few minutes (maybe 30 min max) at a time. An aisle seat is a must. Window is ok if I know the person next to me.

My phobia is getting trapped by someone who is sleeping for 10 hours. That is worse than the plane crashing in flames, IMO. On my last flight home the person to the inside of me didn't get up, didn't eat and didn't drink for 9 hours. I don't think he was human.

I have an eyePad to watch movies and play games on. I'll watch in-flight entertainment too. Doze for a few minutes, and check the moving map display to see where we're at. Rinse and repeat for 8-10 hours and viola we're landing.

Wake them up and don't feel bad about it even for a second. If they want peace, they should sit against the window. Don't think you're trapped. If you need to go, get up.

Put it this way, would you not get up for someone who needed to go if it was you sitting on the aisle?

I got bumped from my paid for upgraded seat coming home from HNL to DEN once, into a center section, center seat on a 777.

I alternated on which side of the aircraft I went to, so a different group of three people had to let me out, multiple times. I can't sit that long in an airliner seat or I'd be in lower back pain for a week.

Which is, of course, why I bought the damn upgrade in the first place...

Back