Jet Blue Photos

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
I just got these hot off the e-mail. Indirectly from a Boeing person.
Looks like the wheels and tires did pretty well for what they endured.
Also the strut looks remarkably intact.:hairraise:

Last edited:
The captain lives in Raleigh. I will see if I can find the email. Wow the tires held up really well.

Brook

Keith Lane said:
I just got these hot off the e-mail. Indirectly from a Boeing person.
Looks like the wheels and tires did pretty well for what they endured.
Also the strut looks remarkably intact.:hairraise:

These are not from the Los Angeles landing, must be from one of the previous incidents. Note the heavy coat and the snow/ice on the
ground.

greg

Good eye. Not only that, who wears a big blue heavy jacket in LA in September?

river_rat said:
These are not from the Los Angeles landing, must be from one of the previous incidents. Note the heavy coat and the snow/ice on the
ground.

Indeed. The aircraft in the Los Angeles incident was fleet no. 536, nicknamed "Canyon Blue". Last time I looked, there was no river alongside 25L at LAX.

-- Pilawt

river_rat said:
ground.

greg

I remember seeing the tires sheer away on the landing. There are tires in these photos.

river_rat said:
ground.

greg

Thanks, all.
I'll check in with my buddy who sent these.
Looking closer, you are all indeed better at scrutiny than I. Shoulda known, these came from a Boeing guy.

And the question I have is why wasn't the media all over that one? I didn't hear peep about it. Nor the 5 other similar events. Could it just be that maybe since there were three hours to kill while the flight burned off fuel that the media had ample time to make a HUGE deal out of it?

Greg Bockelman said:
And the question I have is why wasn't the media all over that one? I didn't hear peep about it. Nor the 5 other similar events. Could it just be that maybe since there were three hours to kill while the flight burned off fuel that the media had ample time to make a HUGE deal out of it?
Yep, the fact that it could be on live TV made it perfect from the media point of view. I was in Orange County at the time and the local station followed it live for well over an hour. Nothing but live video of the plane peacefully orbiting, burning fuel. Boring video ('cept for us pilots!). Meanwhile the talking heads (whom we mercifully could not see) blathered on. -Skip

The reason we saw it is the same as with OJ; it was California. It's what they do. Anywhere else, and it only ever made honorable mention.
California could sensationalize a dandilion picking and make you think it's news.

My son, who works at Boeing, sent me the same photos today. Here is the text that came with the pictures.

FYI- The LAX incident is the NINTH time an A-320 has landed with the NLG twisted 90 degrees. The photos attached below are from one of those previous incidents and not the LAX incident.

The A-320 NLG is comprised of a fixed upper, and a moveable lower inner piston assembly all enclosed within the shock strut assembly. The upper section has two locking tabs that fit into slots of a backing plate installed at the top of the gear. If the tabs are not properly fitted into the slots during installation, or the backing plate is rotated, it is possible for the upper section to rotate. It was found to be the case on the previous incident airplanes. When this happens, eventually the tabs from the upper piston will migrate into the backing plate slots and the upper section will be twisted either to the right or the left. This is imperceptible on the ground because the cams are not engaged. Once airborne, the gear will extend and the cams will force the wheels to align with the upper piston section which is now twisted. Consequentially the nose wheels will then be rotated into the position we all saw on the news.

It is really no more complicated than that.

I have never worked on any Airbus so can not attest to the accuracy of the above statements,

Ron

Back