Jet Airways captain asleep, copilot distracted.

ssonixx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ssonixx
Captain asleep. Copilot playing Candy Crush. ATC wakes everyone up.

I have flown Jet Airways one time from Delhi to Bangalore. Comfort for passengers is...well...budget carrier like. Would definitely not do it unless I had no other choice.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/var...ilot-takes-a-nap-and-aide-busy-with-iPad.html

A crash was avoided when a Jet Airways flight from Mumbai to Brussels dropped 5,000 feet in Turkish airspace while the pilot was having a “rest,” the Emirates 24/7 news site reported Thursday.

The pilot, who was reportedly asleep when he got a call from Ankara Air Traffic Control, was flying at an altitude of 34,000 feet when the plane suddenly dropped.

The co-pilot was busy checking flight information on her iPad, and reportedly said she had no idea the plane had dropped in altitude.

Following the incident, which happened on Aug. 8, Jet Airways said it has initiated an internal inquiry.

“The airline is also extending all co-operation in the matter to the Directorate General of Civil Aviation by providing all necessary assistance for the inquiry,” the company said in a statement.

“Safety is of paramount importance to Jet Airways, as is also the welfare of our guests and crew and the airline will always take appropriate steps to ensure the same.”

The Jet Airways flight 9W 228 was operated by a Boeing 777-300 ER.

I was in India twice in 2013 to train some new employees that my company hired. (I was probably training my replacements in 5 years.) :lol:

I was with a couple of colleagues from here (NY) and they all wanted to sight see. I told them that there's no way I was getting on one of those 3rd world airlines like Jet or King Fisher. I read that those 3rd world airlines buy most of their planes from major carriers after 20-25 years of service getting beat up left and right. Plus, their maintenance is probably not up to safe standards, so I passed.

Last edited:
I have fallen asleep twice while flying. Once in a C-210 while flying checks in the southeast. Work schedule was 11pm to 11am. Once in Alaska flying a C-207. I was flying about 1200 hours a year with the absolute minimum days off. (fatigue) Both times it was for just a few seconds and jerking my head up took the sleepiness right out of me.

I have flown several third world country airlines. About half the time once the crew found out I was a pilot I was moved into first class and given the royal treatment. There are some really attractive FAs in southeast Asia.

I was in India twice in 2013 to train some new employees that my company hired. (I was probably training my replacements in 5 years.) :lol:

I was with a couple of colleagues from here (NY) and they all wanted to sight see. I told them that there's no way I was getting on one of those 3rd world airlines like Jet or King Fisher. I read that those 3rd world airlines buy most of their planes from major carriers after 20-25 years of service getting beat up left and right. Plus, their maintenance is probably not up to safe standards, so I passed.

That's semi-inaccurate. A lot of those airlines (specifically the two you listed) actually have newer fleets than many if not most U.S. Carriers. The real questions/concerns one should have with such carriers are crew qualifications/overall safety cultures within the companies.

"Checking flight information" is ATP speak for "checking e-mail, Facebooking, and playing Candy Crush." :lol:

What was it again for the northwest crew that overflew MSP, 'a discussion about the new scheduling system' iirc :rolleyes: .

Back