Jesse! Black Friday advice

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Hey, Jesse and others:

I want to get a new case for my Windows tower. The Antec I have has too small of a power supply and doesn't have front ports or enough drive slots. I have 4 200GB Seagate SATA drives that I will have set up in a 0+1 RAID.

I have an Antec True Power 430 power supply that has a fan on top as well as the back, so can't I have case that has the top of the power supply blocked.

Between these two:

The Antec Performance I P180B and the Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA
I'm reading the reviews on Newegg and either has issues that could bug me.

The Antec: It looks like my power supply will fit and tehre are vents all around for the air flow but how will I know if the cables will reach? Many reviewers comment about the cable routing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...HDD+area+ATX+Mid+Tower+Computer+Case+-+Retail

The Thermaltake has more bling-bling than I need. I also don't need a transparent side. What concerns me is the commenta about having to remove the top I/O ports to install the P/S, but it looks like thso esaying that have huge P/S.

Help me chooze!

I'm also going to order a component cabinet from Costco to hold the new TiVo:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11119528&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Since I don't have the HDTV yet, I'll wait on getting the TV stand that matches it.. It's not deep enough to hold my current CRT TV. I guess I'm risking not being able to match it, but that means my decor will be eclectic. :rolleyes:

It should take a few days for my credit card to cool off.

I'm going to have to recommend the Antec from personal experience. It really is an excellent case. In fact, it's silver brother won some award for best case of the year.. I forget by what. I use it's silver brother. link

Also, considering you have an Antec power supply, I'm sure it came with adequate wire for the case.

Last edited:
harish said:
I'm going to have to recommend the Antec from personal experience. It really is an excellent case. In fact, it's silver brother won some award for best case of the year.. I forget by what. I use it's silver brother. link

Also, considering you have an Antec power supply, I'm sure it came with adequate wire for the case.

Yeah. I see they specifally recommend teh TruePower P/S which I have,
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800

OK. I can get in silver for the same price. I'll order the Antec.

Thanks!

Anybody want an Antec ATX case and various fans?

Either chassis is pretty decent. I have always loved ThermalTake because they have a solid feel. That said most of them are usually pretty damned heavy.

If it were me I'd probably end up going with the Thermaltake. Several of the Antec cases that I have delt were designed to be more light vs. durable. I'd rather a case be heavy if it doesn't fall apart.

Really I think you'd be happy with either one. If you have the Antec Truepower I don't think you'll have a problem with wire length.

Back