Jerry Mock

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
https://www.facebook.com/Fly38Charlie?kw=AVmail

First woman to fly around the world.

correction.....the first woman to circumvent the planet commonly known as Earth while operating an aircraft as PIC as well as being the sole occupant in the aircraft.

Last edited:
Jerrie actually.

She's a pretty interesting lady. Still fits into the dress she wore during that flight. She came up to the Smithsonian for pilot day about the time 38Charlie was hung in the museum. She stayed up to the wee hours tossing back vodka and tonics and was up and dressed and eating cookies at our kitchen counter at 7AM the next morning.

Judy Rice who started on a new round the world trip at Sun and Fun introduced me to her Navigator "Fred." I asked if his last name was Noonan. My wife slugged me for that comment.

Jerrie actually.

She's a pretty interesting lady. Still fits into the dress she wore during that flight. She came up to the Smithsonian for pilot day about the time 38Charlie was hung in the museum. She stayed up to the wee hours tossing back vodka and tonics and was up and dressed and eating cookies at our kitchen counter at 7AM the next morning.

My kind of woman. :yes:

Grace Hay Drummond-Hay was technically the first woman to fly around the world. She wasn't solo and she wasn't piloting.

So she was the first woman to ride around the world in an airplane...not fly...as we all, with the possible exception of one, understand the definition of that word to be in context.

Grace Hay Drummond-Hay was technically the first woman to fly around the world. She wasn't solo and she wasn't piloting.

That would make Grace Hay Drummond-Hay the first woman to ride around the world in an aircraft. Jerrie Mock was the first woman to fly around the world.

So she was the first woman to ride around the world in an airplane...not fly...as we all, with the possible exception of one, understand the definition of that word to be in context.

"Riding" doesn't designate the means - car, boat, rail, etc.
Riding could also be used to describe what is happening when an autopilot is engaged - such as during Wiley Post's first solo aerial circumnavigation of the world.

Lastly, no airplane was used when the first woman was flown around the world.

Edit: I believe in this case that being precise enhances, rather than detracts, from Mock's accomplishment.

Last edited:
Back