Jeppesen Skybound

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

I have the 3-in-1 Skybound USB adapter (the one pictured below) from Jeppesen and I'm trying to use it to program some cards for the first time... Unsuccessfully.

attachment.php

I was happy to see that Jepp has a version of JSUM for the Mac now (called JDM) but unfortunately it doesn't support this adapter, and though I installed JSUM on my Windows 7 VM (VirtualBox) I can't get it recognized there either (nothing in Devices and Printers). In fact, neither of the lights on the unit light up at all.

It seems Jepp is trying to move people to the newer adapter (the little blue one that only does Garmin cards) but I can't use that as I need to do a GX55 (PCMCIA) card as well.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? I haven't been able to find anything on Jepp's web site related to this at all.

Attachments

• 6133.jpg
    6133.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 252
Did you install the device drivers on the Windows VM?
Running these very specific devices on a VM is always tricky.

Did you install the device drivers on the Windows VM?
Running these very specific devices on a VM is always tricky.

Did you install Jeppesen Services Update Manager (JSUM) version v2.4?

I did install JSUM, but when I go to Tools->Detect SkyBound USB Hardware... I get nothing.

I did not install any drivers - All I could find about drivers for Skybound said NOT to install the "Skybound USB" software as it's part of JSUM.

I did plug the unit into a PC at work today. It acted a little odd at first, Windows kept making sounds as if it was continuously being plugged in and then unplugged. After launching JSUM on that machine for the first time, it offered to install a driver, and the rest of the process worked fine. On my machine, however, it never offered to do that driver install, and I can't find a way to force it. :dunno:

Jepp's tech support has always been helpful and successful in solving my JSUM/Skybound issues. Have you tried them yet?

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/support/tec...meTxt2=Jeppesen Services Update Manager (JSUM)

No, simply because it's been a pain dealing with them over the last few weeks trying to get our club's subscriptions transferred to my account. Their web site is pretty bad, they didn't even acknowledge some of my communications, and after I finally got a hold of a person it still took two days to get them to do the transfer. :mad:

I'm also quite used to calling places and simply having them deny any support because I'm using a Mac. However, that's probably changed for the better - I've been using a Mac since the dark ages when NOBODY seemed to be using them, while they've been gaining market share steadily for several years now. It was a real eye-opener going back to school a few years ago, when I left in 2002 I was the only guy around with a Mac, when I went back in 2010 it was around half and half.

If the hive knowledge here doesn't lead me to a solution, I'll go to Jepp on the next cycle. For now, the cards are programmed for the cycle that starts tomorrow so I have more time to find a solution.

Hey folks,

I have the 3-in-1 Skybound USB adapter (the one pictured below) from Jeppesen and I'm trying to use it to program some cards for the first time... Unsuccessfully.

attachment.php

I was happy to see that Jepp has a version of JSUM for the Mac now (called JDM) but unfortunately it doesn't support this adapter, and though I installed JSUM on my Windows 7 VM (VirtualBox) I can't get it recognized there either (nothing in Devices and Printers). In fact, neither of the lights on the unit light up at all.

It seems Jepp is trying to move people to the newer adapter (the little blue one that only does Garmin cards) but I can't use that as I need to do a GX55 (PCMCIA) card as well.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? I haven't been able to find anything on Jepp's web site related to this at all.

Did you map the USB device to the virtual machine in VirtualBox? It's not going to be available in the VM by default unless you configure it to be so.

I've programmed many cards with the blue reader in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on a Mac.

Maybe try downloading the Fusion trial and give it a shot there.

I run mine in Ubuntu under Virtualbox. Works fine. Specify the device ID in the VM USB definitions and be sure to activate it under USB devices. You may have to reload the jsum software. Took a couple tries to get, but it works.

if you have a garmin 1000 with the sd cards then buy yourself a macbook
you wont need any adapters, there is a side access for sd cards that fit directly into the macbook without any need for adaptors, fire jsum and load the sd which will say garmin and transfer the info directly
now for the 430/530 you need to order a special adaptor from jeppesen that costs 80 bucks or about fits into the usb port

I run mine in Ubuntu under Virtualbox. Works fine. Specify the device ID in the VM USB definitions and be sure to activate it under USB devices. You may have to reload the jsum software. Took a couple tries to get, but it works.

There are a few tricks you can do to get two GNS cards programmed on one subscription using VMs too :wink2:

Did you map the USB device to the virtual machine in VirtualBox? It's not going to be available in the VM by default unless you configure it to be so.

How? I use other USB devices in the VM without any additional setup.

Chip, sounds like you might be the only other person using VirtualBox so far. Can you go into more detail as to how you set it up? Thanks!

if you have a garmin 1000 with the sd cards then buy yourself a macbook
you wont need any adapters, there is a side access for sd cards that fit directly into the macbook without any need for adaptors, fire jsum and load the sd which will say garmin and transfer the info directly
now for the 430/530 you need to order a special adaptor from jeppesen that costs 80 bucks or about fits into the usb port

Nope, gotta use this beast - In addition to the SD card for the G1000 (DA40) which I can program with JDM under Mac OS using the SD card slot on my MacBook Pro, I have to program cards for a 430W (182) and a GX55 (PA28) so I need the adapter I have to program the big ugly PCMCIA card for the GX55 at least.

Ok, but bear with me, I know nothing about Macs.
I'm running JSUM v.2.3.2.. 2.4 didn't work, but I've only got the GX and MX. I think the Windows 7 might be your problem. The early jsum software ran under XP. Might want to dig up a copy.

I'm set up in xp in Virtualbox under Ubuntu. In VM, under XP machine settings, the card read/writer is manually set under USB filters as unknown device OE39:1241 [001] . I got this device ID using a unix dev command to get a manufacturers ID. I assume if your read/write programmer is the same the ID ought to work for you. Now, Ubuntu being unix, there were read write usr group permissions issues to deal with as well. Don't know if that's the case with your Mac.

Then after I open Jsum under windows, I confirm the USB device is checked from the devices tab at the top of the VM window. From there, I get a little green light on the writer and all is good.

Hope this helps.

The other thing is to be sure your windows virtual memory is maxed out. Otherwise your data won't write.

Last edited:
Ok, but bear with me, I know nothing about Macs.
I'm running JSUM v.2.3.2.. 2.4 didn't work, but I've only got the GX and MX. I think the Windows 7 might be your problem. The early jsum software ran under XP. Might want to dig up a copy.

I'm set up in xp in Virtualbox under Ubuntu. In VM, under XP machine settings, the card read/writer is manually set under USB filters as unknown device OE39:1241 [001] . I got this device ID using a unix dev command to get a manufacturers ID. I assume if your read/write programmer is the same the ID ought to work for you. Now, Ubuntu being unix, there were read write usr group permissions issues to deal with as well. Don't know if that's the case with your Mac.

Then after I open Jsum under windows, I confirm the USB device is checked from the devices tab at the top of the VM window. From there, I get a little green light on the writer and all is good.

Hope this helps.

The other thing is to be sure your windows virtual memory is maxed out. Otherwise your data won't write.

OK, I set it up in VirtualBox (which I found somewhat unusual, since my other devices seem to just work automatically).

When I choose it from the menu (Devices -> USB -> Unknown Device 0E39:1241) I get the following error:

Failed to attach the USB device Unknown device to the virtual machine Virtual Box 1.

The USB device with UUID {00000010-0030-0000-7018-bf0001000000} is not currently attached to the host.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component: USBProxyService
Interface: IHost {93269330-48ca-4096-b4a2-1189df336267}
Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

However, in System Profiler on the Mac I do see this under USB:

Vendor-Specific Device:

Product ID: 0x1241
Vendor ID: 0x0e39 (Smart Modular Technologies, Inc.)
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 8
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Any ideas?

May have something to do with encryption and security of the data card.

Download the VMware fusion trial and give it a shot. I've never had a problem doing it in fusion.

Back