Jeppesen Skybound Problem

BillG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Greenberg
(Sorry - I cross-posted this to AOPA, too - I don't know if everyone goes both places!) I just got my Jeppesen $kybound to update the data card in my 430 but I am having trouble installing it on my primary computer (it does, however, work on another computer I tried it on so it's not a hardware issue). I just cycles around (you know, the ba-ding, ba-ding noise XP makes as you plug and unplug a USB device) and the New Hardware Wizard says it can't find the necessary software, obviously a lie! I was on the phone for an hour with Jeppesen tech support, who admitted this has happened to other people, before he finally said that when this message comes up they've never gotten it working and people have just used other computers. That's absurd. Anyone (techie) have any ideas? I've tried all the obvious...

Bill I just got it up on an XP computer. Install the software first. When the card writer is plugged in on a subsequent reboot, authorize the computer to go to the web, but then you'll get the ?"install automatically?" screen. Say yes. Mine found the driver. I made a folder in My Documents called Jepp, and directed the drivers to go in there....and thank goodness it worked.

The previous system, about four years ago was garbage. I sent it back and have been on mailed in cards all these years.....

Thanks, Bruce. I tried that and every variation of it that I could think of. And that Jeppesen could think of. No dice!! ARGH.

One more suggestion. Try loading the driver in safe mode (or full mode but go into task manager and shut maximum #s of stuff off) minimum number of drivers running. Maybe somethings' got the interrupt or address that the cardwriter software requires....

Hmm - now that's the one thing I didn't try...! Still not holding my breath though.

Sorry you´re having trouble Bill. It installed and worked fine for me on an XP machine. Sorry things aren´t going right for you. I actually updated two Garmin cards and an M-3, all went without a hitch.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Back