Jeppesen JDM

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have been having a terrible problem trying to log on to the Jepp web site. But that is another issue, as is the fact that they have not returned my email question from the other day.

I will be in the middle of a 3 week flying trip next month when my NAV data expires. I will be in a similar position again later this summer. I don't want to take our 16 inch laptop. I have never had success getting hotels or FBOs to allow me to download the JDM software to their computers.

Can I download the program (JDM) to a USB thumb drive and run the program from that drive on a computer in a hotel or FBO? Or am I just showing my age from the days when you could just copy a program from system to system and run it?

I just packed the laptop, an old Dell with Windows 7? 8?. A couple of hotels we stayed at did not have a working computer. Also, to install a program on just about any computer you will need the administrator’s password.
Updated my databases last night.

I just packed the laptop, an old Dell with Windows 7? 8?. A couple of hotels we stayed at did not have a working computer. Also, to install a program on just about any computer you will need the administrator’s password.
Jeppesen says they will no longer support Windows 7 or 8 effective with JDM version 3.12.

Do you still need admin privs to run a program that is already installed on a flash drive?

I have been having a terrible problem trying to log on to the Jepp web site. But that is another issue, as is the fact that they have not returned my email question from the other day.

I will be in the middle of a 3 week flying trip next month when my NAV data expires. I will be in a similar position again later this summer. I don't want to take our 16 inch laptop. I have never had success getting hotels or FBOs to allow me to download the JDM software to their computers.

Can I download the program (JDM) to a USB thumb drive and run the program from that drive on a computer in a hotel or FBO? Or am I just showing my age from the days when you could just copy a program from system to system and run it?

I dunno about the updating issues. But if you're worried you cannot legally fly without an up to date NAV data I think you can. You just must verify any Fix, Airway, Procedure etc you use hasn't changed. Something in the AIM about it. I think.

JDM sucks. Jeppesen has never understood software. They admitted to me one of the reasons they couldn't support the 480 in some versions is they couldn't find the source code anymore. What's really stupid is the 480 is trivial. It just writes a couple of files to standard FAT32 file systems.

Do you still need admin privs to run a program that is already installed on a flash drive?
That depends. But any security savvy system setup will not let you exec access a USB stick.

Problem solved: Bad Elf Wombat!
https://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat-piston

Download Jeppesen updates to Iphone or Ipad, then Load those updates from Iphone or Ipad to SD card.

Also:
Download EDM data and share info or upload to Savvy Aviation (I have a Savvy account).
Can also be used as an auxiliary power source to fully charge an Iphone or Ipad.

$249 plus shipping.
I also ordered the extra ($20) kit that has a carry case, charging block and charging cords.

Back