Jeppesen charts - can you do paper and electronic?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
So, just realized that I had built up enough reward points on my credit card that I can score a free iPad....now I'm trying to decide what to put on it.

To begin with, I'm a bit old fashioned. I love radial engines, tailwheels, steam gauges and paper (Jepp) charts. But, I'm young enough that I know I need to get used to operating in the electronic world.

I don't really want to give up my paper Jepps for most applications, but would like to add the electronic charting as a backup and additional tool/cockpit resource.

So, wondering what my best options are. I currently have a paper Jepp subscription and wish to keep it. Can you add the electronic charts at a discount or do you have to pay full price for that subscription? If you have to pay full price, is Foreflight for the EFB a better option?

Kinda depends what happens with the NACO pricing disaster about to take place.

Well, the first question is whether you want to continue with the Jeppesen format you're familiar with, or if you want your backup to be in a different format? If you want Jeppesen, then, AFAIK, there's only the one choice. If you are willing to use NACO, then you have a lot more options. But, as Nate said, you might want to wait for the AirNav debacle to be decided. It has the possible effect of significantly changing both the cost and players in the game.

$787 for CONUS digital. Holy bejeebus.

I doubt anything the pricing jump at FAA can possibly do will cause any of the other players to hit that price.

But they could always surprise us. :(

I have a recollection that if you buy Jepp paper, you get electronic format free to boot. Is my recollection correct?

I don't believe that is the case Ron. JeppView subscriptions are extra. If you get JeppView (for MFD, for a PC, etc...) you get the iPAD application and it's charts for no additional charge.

I've got JeppView for MFDs so I got their older chart viewer for the iPAD and now their FlightDesk warmed over for the iPad as well. Neither one can hold a candle to the Foreflight functionality but I since it doesn't cost me anything sometimes I'll pull up a Jepp Plate on the iPad to compare it to the NACO one in Foreflight.

No georeferencing on the Jepp plates on the iPAD (they are in the MX20).

I don't believe that is the case Ron. JeppView subscriptions are extra. If you get JeppView (for MFD, for a PC, etc...) you get the iPAD application and it's charts for no additional charge.
I think you are correct about this. We have Jepp paper charts and Jeppview flight deck. I am almost certain they are separate subscriptions although I don't see the bills. Jeppview flight deck comes with four extra licenses which can be used on other computers.

I have a paper subscription for the NW from Jepp and I haven't seen any offers for free electronic charts. Would be nice, however.

My company pays for my Jepps, but I can tell you I will never use government charts ever again. They only pay for paper but are looking into iPad options right now so we can get Jepps electronically. I will say updating Jepps are one of the worst things ever lol. I have not seen a package to purchase that will include both paper and electronic.

OMG thats what I want. I have spent so many hours of my life updating my Jepps. We have to keep the western half of the US as per our opspecs so you an imagine how sucky that is.

OMG thats what I want. I have spent so many hours of my life updating my Jepps. We have to keep the western half of the US as per our opspecs so you an imagine how sucky that is.

They're too cheap to buy the "quick update" version for you guys, where you just toss the whole thing and stuff in a new section, eh? That suuuuucks.

We do the whole country, plus Canada and Alaska...

It would be too wasteful. Its close to about 10 lbs of paper we have to carry. To do that every 28 days would be killer. The company is already trying to go paperless as it is, thats why we do it like this.

In fact I didn't know there was a quick update option. I have never heard of that. All the 135/121 guys I know do it the way we do it as well.

I asked Jeppesen specifically if I could add on paper charts to my JeppView subscription and they said it would be a separate subscription--no discount. They also pointed out that you can print them yourself with the JeppView software, and they even sell the perforated and punched paper for it.

So, I did a little math and determined that I could buy a color laser printer and the Jeppesen paper and print my own for a lot less than maintaining a second subscription. Works like a champ. Now I just print the plates I need and use the iPad as a backup if I should need to divert to an unplanned alternate.

That's why I went to JeppView back when I was a subscriber. One binder for the enroute charts, some notice pages, and insert the DVD and press Update.

I asked Jeppesen specifically if I could add on paper charts to my JeppView subscription and they said it would be a separate subscription--no discount. They also pointed out that you can print them yourself with the JeppView software, and they even sell the perforated and punched paper for it.

So, I did a little math and determined that I could buy a color laser printer and the Jeppesen paper and print my own for a lot less than maintaining a second subscription. Works like a champ. Now I just print the plates I need and use the iPad as a backup if I should need to divert to an unplanned alternate.

Hmm...that is sounding like it may be the best deal.

One question though, will the one JeppView subscription allow you to load it on two devices? Like an Ipad and Iphone as another backup?

When I had Jeppview (and even now with NACO), I printed the plates I used frequently, and then would have the tablet pc ready for diversions.

Never tried (and woudn't want to try) printing the enroutes. That's where things like foreflight are really good. You can find the intersection or the thing you're looking for on an Ipad/Tablet as fast or faster with the electronic ones than the paper, and that's a big improvement over the old days (of 6 years ago).

That's what I used to get. Do they have the enroutes in the digital version too? Or is that still plates only?

Yes but it is not a legal substitute for enroute charts because they don't display all of the information. The digital ones are dynamically generated based on zoom settings etc and not all DME distance and a few other features show up.

Yes but it is not a legal substitute for enroute charts because they don't display all of the information. The digital ones are dynamically generated based on zoom settings etc and not all DME distance and a few other features show up.

Ah that's too bad.

It would be too wasteful. Its close to about 10 lbs of paper we have to carry. To do that every 28 days would be killer. The company is already trying to go paperless as it is, thats why we do it like this.

In fact I didn't know there was a quick update option. I have never heard of that. All the 135/121 guys I know do it the way we do it as well.

I have full US Q-Service (the "quick update option"), full US Jeppview (and Mobile TC on the iPad, the Mobile Flight Deck sucks and is useless) and a NE US Standard subscription.

As for paper, Q-Service (with electronic text) is the only way to go. You get 8 revisions that go into the "Q-Binder" (as I call it). You pull the updated charts on an as-needed basis. After 8 updates, you get an ENTIRE new terminal chart content. I just did a Q-Service update today. I logged the revision, put the terminal charts behind tab 6 in the Q-Binder, slapped in the new enroute chart and put the two binders away (Binder 1 and the Q-Binder). It's a lot, 12 Binders total (1 enroute, 10 state tabbed binders and 1 binder for q-updates) but having kept US, Canada and Latin America updated with standard paper for years, I will not go back to that crap.

There is no discount though and Q-Service is pricey. I have to keep a standard paper subscription updated for a company for the NE part of the US and I hate it.

JeppView is a good option and printing charts is a great idea if you don't have a mac (or can run Windows on Parallels or Bootcamp or something). Updating the iPad is easy (I think it's three taps total including loading the program) and quick and I've never (knock on wood) had it fail or lock up in flight. I did a Jeppview update just yesterday. That is just one binder to update. I'll tap the iPad update button before I go on my next trip just to make sure.

For functionality, Foreflight is the winner. Their software is so far ahead of anything Jepp has that it isn't even a fair comparison. But if you just want to use the iPad as a chart viewer (which I do) then Mobile TC isn't bad at all. If you want flight planning, enroutes, etc. then go with Foreflight.

Hope this helped.

Ok, so I'm starting to think that I may switch my paper subscription over to the electronic Jepp View. On the downside, I'm not a big fan of Jepp's VFR charts, so I'd like to find another source for digital sectionals that I can use with a Bad Elf GPS.

If I'm doing Jepps for the IFR stuff, what are my best options of digital moving map style sectional/TACs on the Ipad? Seems like the two main options are ForeFlight and WingX. One of the things I like about WingX is the option for two simulataneous moving map displays (one IFR and one VFR). Can you do that with ForeFlight?

Just paid $787 to re-up my nationwide JeppView. Sigh.

That would buy an ipad2 32g with forelflight. But the presentation is still unparalleled, and the ability to rapid flight plan, pull and print only the needed intermediate ILSs and have 4.25x 8.5 real CHARTS rather than a huge IPAD on my yoke is still sweet.

Just paid $787 to re-up my nationwide JeppView. Sigh.

Coincidence? 787? From a Boeing company? I think not! :) :) :)

That would buy an ipad2 32g with forelflight. But the presentation is still unparalleled, and the ability to rapid flight plan, pull and print only the needed intermediate ILSs and have 4.25x 8.5 real CHARTS rather than a huge IPAD on my yoke is still sweet.

You know that ForeFlight can print charts now, right?

Since they're just using the built in printing in the iPad, it *supposedly* requires an AirPrint compatible printer, but there's a number of ways to share a printer from a desktop machine to the network as if it were an AirPrint printer...

Just the northwest subscription is bad enough.

Have I ever given ANY indication I'm in any way "green"? I fly a 13 GPH aircraft that spews evil lead all over the countryside, and drive a GMC Yukon. :hairraise:

Gee, you got me beat. I just drive a Jeep. :D

Back