Jeppesen Android App

chartbundle

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
chartbundle
So, I heard the announcement for the Jepp for Android App and installed it tonight. First on my rooted tablet, which it doesn't allow. Then on my Samsung 8.9 where it promptly crashed.

I'm really getting the impression Jepp just doesn't care at all about the individual consumer. I liked Jepp plates better(yes, I do run chartbundle.com) and I really liked having all the paper enroute charts in a fairly small binder, but I think I'm done, I was hoping for a nice android app to ditch the Windows tablet. But, well, I'll just use Garmin Pilot or one of the others, carry a backup tablet and ditch the enroute paper. (Anyone want a Windows tablet?)

There's an app, called Voodoo OTA Root Keeper. It can actually disable root with a click on a button and restore it with another click. Try it.

I, however, try not to deal with any company that does not allow app to run on a rooted device. It's my own damn device, I will do with it whatever I please.

What does it mean for a device to be "rooted"?

Well, in some cases it's similar to the australian definition of "root"...

But what it generally means is that you replace the vendor-specific OS kernel (where they've added or removed components and tweaked configurations, and locked it down for the sake of stability and protecting revenue) with a more "open" version that lets you have it your way, though with no support from the vendor.

Similar to how in the "old days" the Macintosh OS was fairly "closed" while Unix was wide open.

Jepp TC works great on my jailbroken iPad. That sucks it doesn't work for you.

That's even more amusing, oh well. I solved the problem and cancelled my Jepp subscription. Will try again in a year or so if I feel like I'm missing it.

What does it mean for a device to be "rooted"?

Comes from the Unix world... Kinda misapplied in the phone world. Root is the traditional super-user account in *nix operating systems.

Phones that have security that keeps the user from making operating system level changes that require higher privilege -- have to have code run to run against them to gain access to the higher priv account, or "root".

As some have pointed out, "Jailbroken" is also commonly used. To get around the "jail" the regular user account is locked in.

Realistically the "root" account is always there, you're just gaining access to it.

Some folks call the code used to gain access a "rootkit" which is also used to describe software that cracks root and then installs things at the higher priv level that does malicious things. So that phrase is a bit muddied too...

Anywhoo... It means you've got full control over what OS version and/or things you load into your gadget.

Comes from the Unix world... Kinda misapplied in the phone world.

Android and iOS are both Unix based operating systems, so it's not that misapplied.

For me, as someone 20+ years years as a software engineer, I like the iOS philosophy.

Yea, it sucks that you can't do anything you want on the phone. But it's quite incredible how much rapid development of unimaginable proportions has happened over the last 4 years in that space.

If iOS was as open as we often would like it to be, 90% of what we like about it would not exist.

I will take that tradeoff.

Not to mention the advantage of rigid control of the hardware platform. I am not really an apple fan, but I do understand why they operate the way they do. Their high level of control of the software and hardware reduces the complexity they need to support.

Back