Jekyll Island

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
Heading south in a couple of days, just trying to decide where.

For those who stayed the night at Jekyll Island, where did you stay and what were the pluses/minuses of the place.

Thx

Make sure you land with enough fuel remaining to hop over to Golden Isles Aviation at SSI -- there's no fuel at Jekyll Island.

Can't make any suggestions as far as accomodations, but I will say that 'location' isn't as big of an issue on Jekyll as other places. The island is so small that you can literally go from the far south point to the north point in 30 minutes on one of those electric rental cars (suped-up golf cart).

IIRC, there aren't a ton of accomodation choices there - no "beachfront high-rises" like most beach locations. The old 'club' on the inland side seemed pretty cool - lots of history in that area. There were a couple of different restaurants in that area as well.

On the ocean side, I only remember a couple of larger 'resort-ish' establishments - neither of which seemed too 'sketchy'.

Make sure to check out the driftwood beach on the north end. Pretty interesting scenery.

You'll enjoy Jekyll Island... it's a fun little airport and very scenic!

100_1726.jpg

Here's the Red Bug electric cars you can rent and tool around the island at 25 MPH tops!

100_1729.jpg

Have fun! :)

I enjoyed staying at the original Jekyll Island Club. You can spend as much as you want or (amost) as little. It's not beach side but with one of those little electric jobbers up above who cares. I'm not a huge beach person anyhow (especially in March :ihih: )

Make sure you land with enough fuel remaining to hop over to Golden Isles Aviation at SSI -- there's no fuel at Jekyll Island.

Flew over their in the Tiger from KSSI during the 2003 AYA convention. Nice little strip and nice island. I forget where I had lunch, but it was also a hotel. Pretty famous place, but forget the name.

There's lots more to do at St. Simon's Island, but Jekyll is pretty cool too.

Back