Jekyll Island, GA

peppy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I just got back form taking my girlfriend and her daughter to Jekyll Island, GA for brunch and a walk on the beach. It is a very GA friendly airport. Check in with Rich and grab a Red Bug (small electric car) and have fun. The food at the Jekyll Island Club was awesome. I know people have posted on this before but with great places to fly seeming to disappear every day I thought I would remind people about this one. The Jekyll Island Club is a one mile walk or they will send a van. However, grabbing a Red Bug so I can tour the island is my favorite way to get around.

Can't go wrong going into either Jekyll or saint simon island. Always great stops going up and down the coast.

+1
I love flying down to Jekyll too. The Red Bug cars are the way to tour the island. My wife and I stayed a few days at the Jekyll Island Club hotel recently. It was neat getting to experience a bit of the islands history.

I also love St. Simons Island just north of Jekyll. There is no fuel at Jekyll so KSSI is usually my fuel stop if needed. If you like crab cakes, Barbra Jean's in the Village area is a great place to eat.

It is also neat flying over Cumberland Island to the south of Jekyll. The ruins of the Carnegie mansion is there along with wild horses on the island. Since most of the island in uninhabited other than the camping area, you can make some low passes along the beach.

If you like BBQ, there's a great place within walking distance of KSSI.

If you like BBQ, there's a great place within walking distance of KSSI.

Biting my lip on this one. :D

Im a BBQ snob and possibly the official one on this board. When I head to SSI I go to iguanas for their shrimp. All the locals hate iguanas but they will cave on the shrimp if you put them on the spot. The FBO at SSI will provide a car, I usually go there instead of Jekyll for my "why the hell not, I'm bored" trips. I do like Jekyll though.

Biting my lip on this one. :D

Im a BBQ snob and possibly the official one on this board. When I head to SSI I go to iguanas for their shrimp. All the locals hate iguanas but they will cave on the shrimp if you put them on the spot. The FBO at SSI will provide a car, I usually go there instead of Jekyll for my "why the hell not, I'm bored" trips. I do like Jekyll though.

I have been to Southern Soul a few times. If anyone thinks they are good BBQ, they have not had good BBQ before. Because Guy Fierie went there once, all of the student people think it's great.

Iguanas is OK, but very focused on the tourist dollars. If you want real seafood, take the short drive to B&J's in Darian. A very small place, but it will knock your socks off.

If your in the mood for sushi, Fancy Q's in Redfern Village is pretty good and in walking distance from SSI.

How much are the Red Bugs? I have been considering flying down there with my son (11) for a day trip.

Andy

How much are the Red Bugs? I have been considering flying down there with my son (11) for a day trip.

Andy

I think the two person is $75 a day. Google Red Bug Motors.

Back