Jay is famous yet again

Good deal, Jay. And nicely written, too.

Best part: It has a picture of your plane! :yes:

Jay, you know I respect you for doing what you want to do, the way you want to do it, right? So don't take this the wrong way.... BUT....

you'll never know the fear that was struck into my heart by the words
Jay Maynard said:
The unitard is about worn out.

:D :D :D

Jay is no different from people attending Sci-fi conventions, bikers doing the whole leather thing, and sports fans going nuts with the paraphernalia.

Except that he does it in the face of mindless judgmentalism and does it with aplomb, grace and wit. :)

Something in that worth taking home, for any of us, I think.

Jay is no different from people attending Sci-fi conventions, bikers doing the whole leather thing, and sports fans going nuts with the paraphernalia.

Yeahbut, are you fluent in Klingon?

Yeahbut, are you fluent in Klingon?

OMG. Do you remember when Shatner hosted SNL and spoke to the Star Trek convention goers? Jonathan Lovitz was priceless!

Last edited:

Ya but we don't have to see their packages :skeptical:

Except that he does it in the face of mindless judgmentalism and does it with aplomb, grace and wit. :)

Something in that worth taking home, for any of us, I think.
It is pretty funny the way he is able to deflect the comments.

Last edited:
Jay, in my book, you're cool.

Tron man's cool. I still think he paid too much for his plane though.

Considering what he got (awesome avionics stack, very nice interior, and a brand new plane), I wouldn't say he overpaid at all. A new 172 would have cost him more than twice as much and not been nearly as much fun. Having flown right seat in his plane and gotten my hand at flying it, it's a very nice setup. I wish the planes I flew in had his instrumentation and avionics.

It's not what I would have bought, but Jay and I have significantly different missions, hence our different airplane choices. :)

When do I get a ride Jay?

Making comments about him paying too much for his airplane probably doesn't help your odds. ;)

I wish the planes I flew in had his instrumentation and avionics.
Well, you can always sweet-talk the Mooney's owner into buying a nice new GNS430W...heck, go for the 530, since you've got more panel real estate to play with. :)

Well, you can always sweet-talk the Mooney's owner into buying a nice new GNS430W...heck, go for the 530, since you've got more panel real estate to play with. :)

Somehow, I have a feeling that said Mooney's owner is not going to be interested in spending that kind of money... at least not unless I were to donate the funds, which I'm not about to do. :)

Surprisingly, the Mooney doesn't have all that much extra real estate to play with. Its panel is actually full enough as it is that we've been thinking about where to put something like a JPI, and it's been difficult. There are no free holes right now.

Interestingly, the Apollo GPS that's in there right now is not all that efficient space wise. Were we to replace it and one of the Nav/Coms with a 430W, we would get to remove one of the CDIs, as well as the little extra panel with some buttons below it (the GPS and the second Nav/Com share a CDI). The primary Nav/Com we have now would keep its CDI (especially since that's the one that has a glide slope on it), and get relocated, probably to where the GPS is. Then, we'd have a spot for the JPI.

That said, the layout would still not be as clean as it is in your plane. To do that, we'd need to make a whole new panel, which is a whole 'nother big project.

Better idea: We'll just leave it be, and I'll continue to be envious of your panel. It seems to work out just fine. :)

Back