Japanese Knotweed - Anything kill this stuff? Any weed experts here?

I told the wife and she wants a herd of them now.. :mad2:

Nubians are the best IMO, excellent milk producers, and are a large breed that also carries a good meat structure. For the meat market, bred to a Boar we got really optimal results. I think they have the best personalitities too.

If you sit down in a pasture with fresh kids, you become a climbing toy.:lol:

DO NOT Buy a buck, buy semen or rent a buck, when you want to breed; just trust me on this, especially if you have small kids.

Last edited:
Nubians are the best IMO, excellent milk producers, and are a large breed that also carries a good meat structure. For the meat market, bred to a Boar we got really optimal results. I think they have the best personalitities too.

If you sit down in a pasture with fresh kids, you become a climbing toy.:lol:

DO NOT Buy a buck, buy semen or rent a buck, when you want to breed; just trust me on this, especially if you have small kids.

Thanks. I will do some research into them. I do have small kids and I am sure they will get a kick out of them.

Thanks. I will do some research into them. I do have small kids and I am sure they will get a kick out of them.

They will, goats not only will let them play with them, they'll come up and play with them. Plus they're not heavy, so the injuries stay minor. Just don't buy a buck.:nono:

You have to be ready to handle a buck, and even a friendly one will walk up and rub their permanently pee soaked face on you while turning their dick straight sideways and peeing on you.:rofl: When a buck Rams you though, FMD, there is some serious force behind it, they can do serious damage to a kid, and they are nearly impossible to keep in the pen.

This stuff is excellent and long lasting.

Think you mentioned problem was near a stream. If it is....this product may be a no go.

http://www.mrochem.com/Barren_p_10.html

Banned in a lot of states...but not yours!!!!

Why is all the fun stuff not allowed in california? Since the topic was brought up, I want in on the discussion as well. I have plants to build a deck in the back yard, but the area I want to build in has constant weed growth. To be honest, I have no idea what its called, but there are two types. one resembles tall-ish grass when it grows, and the other is thorny and sprouts blackberries. I have done quite a bit of googling on the subject of getting rid of them, but so far nothing has worked. I have tried the following:

1. Pouring boiling water on the weeds
2. Safeway-bought vinegar sprayed on the weeds
3. Pouring table salt on the weeds.
4. Combination of table salt and safeway-bought vinegar.

Now, each method worked to kill the weeds above the ground, but once it rains, the weeds return. The backyard patch i'm talking about is roughly 25x15 feet, and the entire thing will be covered in a deck. So, having plants grow in that area is NOT a concern. If I want plant growth, I'll build some planter boxes and do it that way.

Anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these nuisances?

Why is all the fun stuff not allowed in california? Since the topic was brought up, I want in on the discussion as well. I have plants to build a deck in the back yard, but the area I want to build in has constant weed growth. To be honest, I have no idea what its called, but there are two types. one resembles tall-ish grass when it grows, and the other is thorny and sprouts blackberries. I have done quite a bit of googling on the subject of getting rid of them, but so far nothing has worked. I have tried the following:

Now, each method worked to kill the weeds above the ground, but once it rains, the weeds return. The backyard patch i'm talking about is roughly 25x15 feet, and the entire thing will be covered in a deck. So, having plants grow in that area is NOT a concern. If I want plant growth, I'll build some planter boxes and do it that way.

Yes, but it requires work and a fair bit of it, but it's manageable. The only way to effectively do it, especially with blackberries involved, is to carefully dig up all the surrounding dirt with the plants, trying not to disturb the plants root system, run it all through a screen box, and if you want to assure the result, you have to sterilize the soil as well. (You can do this using a steam cleaner to wash the soil through the mesh, but be ready to contain the mess. The easiest way is to have the screen box back over the hole, but it turns into a multi day steam cleaner rental since you have to wait for it to drain, or settle then pump off the water.)

The problem with using economic pesticides is they were designed for economic purpose. This means they are designed to be continuously required. You don't maximize profits by curing problems, you maximize profits by treating them. They are limited in duration effect by intent.

That's why the natural method is the most effective method when you aren't growing an economic crop, and that is have something you can eat, eat it.:lol:

Round Up or 2-4-D:dunno:

Not on Blackberries.:rofl::rofl::rofl: You have to sterilize the soil to get rid of those bastards, either that or keep them eaten down for near a decade until all the seeds have sprouted and been eaten, and there are a whole bunch of seeds down there.:lol:

Goats love eating blackberry brambles.:dunno: I'd figure it would hurt, but they munch away. People rent out herds for them specifically.

I'm not sure the City of San Francisco will be too pleased with having a heard of goats running around my vast 100x25 foot kingdom. I literally don't want anything growing there. So if accepting and burying nuclear waste is a sure-fire way to stop the vegetation, I'd consider that option as well.

In my case, all the adjacent yards are covered with concrete, so killing neighboring plants won't be an issue. I just want these ****ers gone!!

I've tried using Round-Up. Completely forgot to list that, but that was the first thing I used. Another thing I used but didn't list was going online and buying some sort of "Gardening Vinegar". My understanding is that instead of the 5% stuff at safeway, it was a 10% concentration.

...and you guessed it...it still didn't work

I'm not sure the City of San Francisco will be too pleased with having a heard of goats running around my vast 100x25 foot kingdom. I literally don't want anything growing there. So if accepting and burying nuclear waste is a sure-fire way to stop the vegetation, I'd consider that option as well.

In my case, all the adjacent yards are covered with concrete, so killing neighboring plants won't be an issue. I just want these ****ers gone!!

You can have one or two, they classify as pets. As long as you maintain their condition (and them in the yard.:lol:), you won't have a problem.

You can have one or two, they classify as pets. As long as you maintain their condition (and them in the yard.:lol:), you won't have a problem.

Please allow me to rephrase my response, good Sir....Goats, no matter the number, are not an option. I'm looking for assistance of the chemical variety :rofl:!

I'd have an easier time having the city approve my dumping nuclear waste in my backyard.

Just use a propane torch and bake them away then scorch the soil to get the seeds. You'll have to go after them for a couple of seasons and torch them again as shoots. If you never let leaves grow, eventually even the developed root systems die out.

I don't think California has a poison that will work on Blackberries.

If they are growing up through cracks in pavement, then pull them and keep the crack packed with rock salt far a couple of years.

Last edited:
Just use a propane torch.

The whole "kill it with fire" thing won't kill the roots though, will it? Two weeks later and I'll be playing the role of Icarus again.

The whole "kill it with fire" thing won't kill the roots though, will it? Two weeks later and I'll be playing the role of Icarus again.

Yes, you'll be doing it for a while. However the roots have only so much stored energy, and without leaves has no way to recharge, so within a few seasons they will totally die off. The key is to get the seeds.

There is no easy way to get rid of blackberries, they are the most pernicious plant I have ever dealt with.

Nah. Not if they're blackberries. They laugh at both of those actives.

Physical removal of the top parts plus repeated soil drenches around the roots with a slurry made of 2 parts 20 percent acetic acid to one part rock salt probably would work as well as anything, which is to say not very well.

You could also try adding a teaspoon of dish detergent as a surfactant and spraying it on the plant (in addition to the root drench) if physical removal is impractical. It probably won't work, but I didn't say it would work. I said you could try.

Rich

Last edited:
Nah. Not if they're blackberries. They laugh at both of those actives.

Physical removal of the top parts plus repeated soil drenches around the roots with a slurry made of 2 cups 20 percent acetic acid to one part rock salt probably would work as well as anything, which is to say not very well.

You could also try adding a teaspoon of dish detergent as a surfactant and spraying it on the plant (in addition to the root drench) if physical removal is impractical. It probably won't work, but I didn't say it would work. I said you could try.

Rich

I'm not convinced burying nuclear waste would be effective on blackberries, I'd take Blackberries 3:2, and I'd even put a small side of nuclear super vines, and parlay that they acquire a taste for human flesh. I know I've fed them plenty of blood.:lol:

Why would you get rid of blackberries? I always snack on the ones that are growing around my place, I hope they spread actually. More plants = more berries.

Why would you get rid of blackberries? I always snack on the ones that are growing around my place, I hope they spread actually. More plants = more berries.

If you have the space for them fine, however, you still have a lot of work to do on them if you want more plants to equal more useful product. You basically have to sculpt the bramble into a pattern that allows you to reach all the berries without shreading all the skin off your body, which means you have to maximize accessible surface area. In order to increase the viable product beyond the minimum single reachable width requires exponentially more land. Basically you have to create a vineyard row setting to increase useful production, so you have to have a significant enough piece of land to dedicate, and put in a lot of physical work to maintain access. If you ever let it fill in, you'll need a lot of goats before you use that land again.:rofl:

Last edited:

Try this stuff....not as good as the other product I posted but works pretty good and it's avail in California.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-1-gal-Concentrate-Ground-Clear-Vegetation-Killer-0430510/100001652

Great discussion.....

Earlier in the thread , someone said that salt poured on the ground would sterilize it for years... Will that not kill ANY growing plant :dunno::dunno:.

Maybe old engine oil mixed with mineral spirits..:dunno::dunno:..
Altho that would probably constitute a hazardous waste site..:yikes:...:hairraise:...:redface:

Back