January Issue of THE MOONEY FLYER is here

pcorman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Corman
The January Issue of The Mooney Flyer is ready.
In this issue:
1. Flying Your Mooney in Winter
2. Why I Sold My Cirrus and Bought an Acclaim
3. And Then There Were None (Pilot Population)
4. Used vs. New Mooneys
5. What If! Single Pilot IFR in Mooneys
6. Whale vs. Trawler

Read it at: www.TheMooneyFlyer.com

You might want to have someone fact check the story on selling a cirrus and buying a Mooney.

You might want to have someone fact check the story on selling a cirrus and buying a Mooney.

After seeing who the author was, my guess on why he switched would be.....because CBP would know that he couldn't fit any drugs in the Mooney.....ba dum tish.

Very interesting. I read the issue, and some of the articles actually turned me off ever considering one. The Cirrus bashing was in poor taste, but that wasn't what put me off. That whole description in one of the articles of being too close to the panel, to the point where you are looking DOWN on your instruments at an odd angle sounds suboptimal :rolleyes2:.

That and I only know people who once owned a Mooney. Seem to be an awful lot of people who once owned one, then got something else. Not a lot of brand loyalty? That's a bit of a warning sign. They look so goofy sitting low on the ramp too.

I'd never heard of the Mooney Rocket with the 305hp. 248kts, wow. Beats the Acclaim Type S in top speed. Almost as fast as my Aerostar..:D;)

Last edited:
Very interesting. I read the issue, and some of the articles actually turned me off ever considering one. The Cirrus bashing was in poor taste, but that wasn't what put me off. That whole description in one of the articles of being too close to the panel, to the point where you are looking DOWN on your instruments at an odd angle sounds suboptimal :rolleyes2:.

That and I only know people who once owned a Mooney. Seem to be an awful lot of people who once owned one, then got something else. Not a lot of brand loyalty? That's a bit of a warning sign. They look so goofy sitting low on the ramp too.

Quite the opposite. Lots of brand loyalty! People who buy Mooneys do so because they want to go fast and burn little fuel. Over 7000 are still flying with very happy owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What makes a airplane complex as opposed to high performance.

Is this not true? Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller.

High Performance is 200hp?

Is this not true? Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller.

High Performance is 200hp?

>200HP I believe is the answer

TC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent article in this issue concerning night and IFR flying, your abilitys and current instruments in your airplane. Good read. ( mooneys don't need a defense. They were and still are one of the most effective, nice flying singles ever built. I know two who sold theirs and bought arrow stars. Natural progression.)

Last edited:
Complex is constant speed AND retractable gear. Cirrus is NOT complex!

Except the author said that the Cirrus take the prop control out of the pilot work so load he did not have a complex endorsement. Later he said the Columbia like the Mooney was a complex. From his writing it seems he believes the prop control make the plane complex not the gear. What makes it more interesting is his first line in the article where he says he spends a inordinate amount of time researching major decisions.

Just curious, anyone know of a constant speed prop and retractable gear without flaps?

Back