tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
I don't plan to make this trip anytime soon, but looking at a map gets one's mind to wander...

Is it feasible to conduct a GA flight into Waskaganish or Moosonee in a light single? These places seem so close yet so far away... a flight over a remote location clearly requires more planning than a local burger hop.

Is 100LL available? Do folks travel there in Brand-C and Brand-P airplanes that are more familiar with pavement than gravel?

The idea of flying to the subarctic seems to be such an adventure, so wanted to see if this is a pipe dream or something than can actually be done.

Heck, it's only 2hrs in the Comanche from Sault Ste Marie. I wouldn't even have to worry about fuel while up there. And it's only 165nm from Timmins to Moosonee.

I have a pal who took a Bonanza somewhere above the Arctic circle in Canada.
I think it's one of those bucket list items for some people; do not expect anything in the way of scenery or amenities in most places. In fact, think Alaska-survival gear.

In fact, think Alaska-survival gear.

Don't just think it. The law here requires it.

Survival Equipment — Flights over Land
  • 602.61 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an aircraft over land unless there is carried on board survival equipment, sufficient for the survival on the ground of each person on board, given the geographical area, the season of the year and anticipated seasonal climatic variations, that provides the means for
    • (a) starting a fire;
    • (b) providing shelter;
    • (c) providing or purifying water; and
    • (d) visually signalling distress.
  • (2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of
    • (a) a balloon, a glider, a hang glider, a gyroplane or an ultra-light aeroplane;
    • (b) an aircraft that is operated within 25 nautical miles of the aerodrome of departure and that has the capability of radiocommunication with a surface-based radio station for the duration of the flight;
    • (c) a multi-engined aircraft that is operated south of 66° 30’ north latitude
      • (i) in IFR flight within controlled airspace, or
      • (ii) along designated air routes;
    • (d) an aircraft that is operated by an air operator, where the aircraft is equipped with equipment specified in the air operator’s company operations manual, but not with the equipment required by subsection (1); or
    • (e) an aircraft that is operated in a geographical area where and at a time of year when the survival of the persons on board is not jeopardized.

I rode a motorcycle to Chisisibi once. Awesome trip. From Michigan it's closer than Florida.

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, at this point I'm really just looking for info about the aviation logistics of flying to the airports around the bay.

While clearly survival gear and extensive planning for backcountry flight is needed for a trip like this but at this point I'm just trying to figure out... can I fly there in a light single, get fuel, etc. just daydreaming after looking at a map... :)

I have a pal who took a Bonanza somewhere above the Arctic circle in Canada.
I think it's one of those bucket list items for some people; do not expect anything in the way of scenery or amenities in most places. In fact, think Alaska-survival gear.

Where did he go?

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, at this point I'm really just looking for info about the aviation logistics of flying to the airports around the bay.

While clearly survival gear and extensive planning for backcountry flight is needed for a trip like this but at this point I'm just trying to figure out... can I fly there in a light single, get fuel, etc. just daydreaming after looking at a map... :)

To answer your question, sure it's doable. It doesn't even look to be that hard. If fuel at your destination is a concern, I'd try contacting someone at the airport to see if any is available or if you can have some shipped in there.

I'm hardly what I would consider an experienced pilot when it comes to flying up north, but I did fly a Super Cub up there and back about a month ago, farther than you're talking about going. I didn't really plan the trip differently than I have on any other trips, other than that there were a couple of legs that were longer than my comfort limit on fuel (since not all stops had fuel available) so I carried 10 extra gallons on those legs.

Back