Jade Helm plane spotting

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Last week featured multiple H-60s flying roughly due west at lo alt. Most were single bird but some were in trail formation. Twice, on two consecutive days, I observed a single H-60 making a wide 360 seemingly centered on my location. Of course they entered the maneuver after flying directly overhead. Thinking of fast rope/SPIES.

All except twice were day. Twice they were well into evening twilight and the aircraft were dark (no lights observed)

In the mix was numerous Sheriff and CHP helos darting about at atypical altitudes and direction of flight. The amount of helo traffic of the past week is much more than typical.

Today was 2 V-22s on a round trip. They were flying at a mid alt, maybe 3,500 agl. They flew in trail but offset which I reckon is typical. That was cool because the only other time I'd seen Ospreys aloft was at Miramar or airshows. Curiously, west bound, trail was offset to the left (south) of lead. East bound, trail as offset to the left (north) of lead.

I reckon they were going to Los Alamitos AAF although route of flight suggested LAX. (Why fly so wide to enter KSLI if that truly was the destination?)

FYI: I'm 3.2 east of KFUL, nearly under the LOC/DME RWY 24.

Last edited:
There's a bunch of amphibious training that occurs regularly between Long Beach and Camp Pendleton. My guess is H-60s and V-22s are following ingress/egress routes for some sort of training exercise.

It's preparation for the coming comet strike in September.

I thought everyone knew that.

There's a bunch of amphibious training that occurs regularly between Long Beach and Camp Pendleton. My guess is H-60s and V-22s are following ingress/egress routes for some sort of training exercise.

Do you have specific knowledge WRT the past week or do you mean in general?

Pendleton I get, even Oceanside. Include Los Al for that matter. But I can hardly fathom any amphib training along all other beaches in SoCal. Now I do not possess an all encompassing knowledge of ops in SoCal but I do not remember any amphib op anywhere along say, San Clemente to Seal Beach.

But specifically we do know JH15 is in effect. And I am deeply in the red zone according to the map. Is JH to include amphib assault on a beach head?

Last edited:
We used to do raids in downtown LA when I was on the MEU. We lost a UH1 off Catalina from our ship. The word on the street...Er....nonskid was they were low and fast, executed a turn and that was enough for the blades to impact the water. They found small parts.....

One guy came through a few days ago asking about the CAP doing a mission out of the airport and I told him about what role they served etc. Said they were about to conduct a training exercise about a week into July to train students for Flight Academy and his eyes lit up.

"Heard of Jade Helm?" he asked me. Couldn't say that I have.

He said "Look it up, it should scare the **** out of you". He told me that CAP was in on it and that the military was coming. He left for his rental car after that. I looked it up and found not much hard data on this claim that the military is taking over or imposing martial law etc etc.

What sources do you guys have for this? :dunno:

Unless you're just filling us in on a casual observation, I'm really not sure of your question. You live outside of an airfield that houses a Combat Aviation Brigade. Just south of you is the home of the 3rd MAW. Those guys are going to have joint operations from time to time.

Unless you're just filling us in on a casual observation, I'm really not sure of your question. You live outside of an airfield that houses a Combat Aviation Brigade. Just south of you is the home of the 3rd MAW. Those guys are going to have joint operations from time to time.

90% casual observation, 10% questioning the validity of this whole "Jade Helm" thing.

"Heard of Jade Helm?" he asked me. Couldn't say that I have.

He said "Look it up, it should scare the **** out of you".
If he mentions Jade Helm again look around suspiciously and say, "SHH! Remember BEADWINDOW!"

Hilarity ensues.

Nauga,
under EMCON

Lol! Haven't heard that term in a long time. BEADWINDOW 5!

If he mentions Jade Helm again look around suspiciously and say, "SHH! Remember BEADWINDOW!"

Hilarity ensues.

Nauga,
under EMCON

I will do this if I see him again. :yes:

A friend of mine is looking for a short and sweet explanation of beadwindow in this context. He guesses that it's relevant in conspiracy theory but isn't quite sure. Just helping the uninformed out :D

A friend of mine is looking for a short and sweet explanation of beadwindow in this context.
"Beadwindow" is a comm brevity call made when secure info has been disclosed over open channels. The number after the call signifies the type of info.

Nauga,
under the radar

I did not ask a question nor was one implied. It was purely 100% casual observation. To wit, 'planespotting', ie, casual observation of aircraft typically from a stationary location.

I'll leave it to others to rally 'round the conspiracy talk.

However, I am well aware of mil assets in this area. But the overflights I have observed as per my comments are atypical. Therefore, whether real or imagined, I have associated these with specific mil ops. JH seems to be one possible answer to that. Further, what has been disseminated per public media may or may not be accurate vis a vis start date of the operation or even the scope thereof. I dare say anyone less than a flag officer would not know the ins & outs of any such op.

Last edited:
Well it started today! I had those "black" helicopters circling my house. Dudes repelling down on to my roof wearing masks. Guys running thru my yard shooting off blanks. This is crazy!

Well it started today! I had those "black" helicopters circling my house. Dudes repelling down on to my roof wearing masks. Guys running thru my yard shooting off blanks. This is crazy!

Seriously?

One white helicopter went between the magnolia tree and the property line. My house was shaking, and it's shaking! It's shaking! For over one to two minutes constantly.

However, I am well aware of mil assets in this area. But the overflights I have observed as per my comments are atypical. Therefore, whether real or imagined, I have associated these with specific mil ops.

This is not unusual for the area, I've been here 10 years. You just haven't seen it before. Their approaches to KSLI are easily effected by other traffic in the area (like folks on the VOR-A into KFUL).

My friend took part in Jade Helm yesterday flying out of KSLI. Taking over Texas and enforcing martial law in a C-12. :D

Been seeing AWACS out of Miramar, which in itself isn't hugely unexpected, but given this operation and the Rooshin bombers off California I thought maybe related to those things.

Really the only thing of interest in the OP story is the integration of local law enforcement into the exercises. Outside of that, military pulling large scale training ops around CA and the country isn't all that rare of an event. :dunno: you have to train them somehow.

Really the only thing of interest in the OP story is the integration of local law enforcement into the exercises. Outside of that, military pulling large scale training ops around CA and the country isn't all that rare of an event. :dunno: you have to train them somehow.

I doubt LE was involved. Fullerton has CHP and Anaheim PD based on-field, and they have many (and I mean many) operations each day, and use varying approaches to the field as part of noise abatement. I don't know what "sheriff" he's referring to, I suspect he saw Anaheim PD.

Last week featured multiple H-60s flying roughly due west at lo alt. Most were single bird but some were in trail formation. Twice, on two consecutive days, I observed a single H-60 making a wide 360 seemingly centered on my location. Of course they entered the maneuver after flying directly overhead..

They KNOW who you are and they KNOW what you did!!:yikes:

Back