Jacksonville Florida GA destinations

Jake Simpson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cvgaviation
Good evening!

I will be flying my girlfriend down to Fernandina Beach this weekend in my Piper Arrow. Looking for a fun little day trip for the two of us within a two hour flight from KFHB (135kts cruise speed). Considering Vero Beach and Daytona Beach but am looking for other options. Also eye balled up north, St. Simons or Jekyll Island.

Thanks!

-Jake

Jekyll Island was extremely enjoyable! Been a couple of years since I was there ...

St Simmons Island has an excellent BBQ restaurant walking distance (5 minutes) to the airport. There is a newer hotel right on the field, I’d request a runway view to watch airplanes take-off and land. The FBO has a crew car available to go to town (I believe they limit it to 90 minutes), the town is also walkable but a lengthy walk (25-30 minutes).

Jekyll Island is also very nice, bring your own bicycle or scooter. A nice walk to town but long (I think 45-60 minutes).

Daytona Beach is also nice, you can check out the Daytona Speedway (there are tours) and they have the NASCAR experience there on select dates. The hotels near the Speedway are nice and a few restaurants in the area (walkable). The FBO at Daytona Beach was friendly, free parking, and cheap fuel. I also got an oil change done there and it was probably half the price of what my mechanic in Chicago charges me. Also got my airplane washed there too. I just asked the FBO and they advised who to text/call. Daytona Beach airport is VERY busy though!

Vero Beach, haven’t been but I want to go and get a Piper factory tour!

You can’t go wrong, go to the place with better weather. Daytona Beach has perfect weather year round so that is a solid backup.

Many choices. Fernandina Beach itself has a lot to offer. Within two hours you have most of Florida and Georgia. Depends on what you are looking for. The choices are limitless. Everything from beaches and hiking trails to upscale dining and shopping. You are probably within striking distance of the Bahamas as well. Even the keys are almost within striking distance.

Good evening!

I will be flying my girlfriend down to Fernandina Beach this weekend in my Piper Arrow. Looking for a fun little day trip for the two of us within a two hour flight from KFHB (135kts cruise speed). Considering Vero Beach and Daytona Beach but am looking for other options. Also eye balled up north, St. Simons or Jekyll Island.

Thanks!

-Jake
St. Simons and Jekyll island are cool. Never flown there, but I used to live in Brunswick. Now down to some more serious stuff. You have a “my Piper Arrow” and your Avatar is a Cessna? You need to change that lest ye invoke the wrath of @eman1200

You could fly across the state over to Cedar Key. Be about an hour. Catch the van to go out in town for sea food and shopping.

Fernandina is a nice little 1 or maybe 2 night B&B type stay...if you're staying right downtown (or I suppose right on the beach if that's your game)
There's not a lot there....but as I said, good for 1 or 2 nights, check out a few places to eat, walk around and window shop a bit. River cruise or a day trip over to Cumberland...or visit the Fort and the beach. If you're only there for a weekend (to me that means 1 or 2 nights) I can't wrap my head around wanting to go someplace else in the middle of it....... except maybe a stop along the way back home, depending on which direction and how far that is....

Jekyll is another destination all in itself. A stay at the Club hotel makes for a great 1 or 2 night stay, capped off with Sunday Brunch in the dining room where the big shots used to eat!
ditto St Simons.

Don't forget St. Augustine. It'll be about an hour drive or so, and there is a ton of stuff to do there. Lighthouse, Fort, the Old Prison (yes, they offer tours of a prison), the Fountain of Youth. Ton of stuff in St. Augustine.

Don't forget St. Augustine. It'll be about an hour drive or so, and there is a ton of stuff to do there. Lighthouse, Fort, the Old Prison (yes, they offer tours of a prison), the Fountain of Youth. Ton of stuff in St. Augustine.
Agreed - St. Augustine is worth a visit!

Also, you might enjoy a low approach over the Space Shuttle landing strip at Cape Canaveral. Maybe combine it with a visit to the Kennedy Space Center.

- Martin

Fernandia,st.augustne,st simons are all good day trips. I like St.Simons for an overnight.

Flew into St. Simons this weekend and ate at the famous BBQ place. Got there at 10:45a from BKV and they were nice enough to give us a courtesy car. Drive around town to scout a hotel I want to take my wife to and back to the restaurant at about 11:10a and let me tell you there was already a line out the door.

Attachments

• stsim.jpg
    stsim.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 26
  • stsim2.jpg
    stsim2.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 26
Space Coast and visit the NASA visitors center.

I suggest KITIX and Space Coast Jet. Nice people and great service. And cheap gas

Unless you've never been to kennedy space center...if I were going there, I think I would suggest Valiant Air Command Museum over KSC. Personally, I enjoy it more....although KSC is something you've gotta do at least once.

Next time in these parts, St Pete has a nice airport (KSPG) within walking distance of restaurants shops in downtown.

SWMBO and I flew up to St Simons for a few days, came home yesterday. Very nice airport, great FBO, terrific staff, adjacent hotel is excellent. Spent a great couple of days looking around the island. @2-Bit Speed and @SkyChaser joined us on Sunday and we visited the WWII Home Front museum and the Fort Fredrica national monument. My wife and I ate at Iguana's Monday night and the shrimp was wonderful.

If you visit anywhere along the north Florida / south Georgia coast (St Augustine, Fernandina, St Simons, etc.), go to a seafood place and have shrimp at least once. The shrimp boats dock all along this area, and in most restaurants the shrimp will only be a few hours off the boat. If you're in St Augustine, try O'Steens's ( https://www.osteensrestaurant.com/ ); far from fancy, but world famous for their shrimp. If you get down to Titusville to visit Valiant Air Command (highly recommended!), check out Dixie Crossroads ( https://dixiecrossroads.com/ ).

Next time I think we'll go to Jekkyl Island, for something a bit different.

If you want to see a different part of Florida, take a flight over to the panhandle area. The airport in Marianna, FL is close to Florida Caverns State Park, the only public show cave in Florida. Great way to spend the afternoon.

You could fly across the state over to Cedar Key. Be about an hour. Catch the van to go out in town for sea food and shopping.
Can you recommend any specific restaurants (so I can add to FlightsForBites.com)?

Can you recommend any specific restaurants (so I can add to FlightsForBites.com)?

Not sure what shape Cedar is in these days, it got hit pretty hard in a recent Hurricane.

Not sure what shape Cedar is in these days, it got hit pretty hard in a recent Hurricane.
I went here. Excellent seafood with a nice view. Haven’t been since the hurricane so I’m not sure either on its condition right now.

Back