J3 or c150/152

Mc Fly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sean
A buddy who just got his license asked me for advice for an entry plane. He's all torn up on going with a classic or a c150.
His other buddy keeps on pushing him toward the c150 because he said that they're a lot easier to fly,safer, and more modern stuff (nav lights/vor/etc).
I told him to get the J3 because it will make him a better pilot and it's perfect for going 'round the patch. (he just plans of flying around here..).He doesn't plan on getting his ifr anytime soon.

Waht do you recomend?

I recommend your buddy fly them both and then decide which best meets his needs and desires.

I would go with the Cub solely for the "cool factor". But as Ron said he needs to fly both, and see what HE needs or wants.

Given the choice, I would say neither. The J3 is underpowered and overpriced for what you get. If you want classic, get a Citabria. At least then you have an electric starter. Nothing wrong with a 150/152. Just not much personality to them.

I know, there are probably a million of them for sale. But I flew into 02C "Capitol" Airport by Milwaukee on Wednesday and saw a C150 for sale on the "ramp."
The Cub would be cooler. I have 50+ hours in the 150. At 6'3, you have to be pretty friendly with the other person because there is not much shoulder room.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I would shop around, look at more than just two entry planes. Look at the Cherokee 140, 151, etc. There are plenty of planes that are perfect for just cruising around in.

If you want cool, and something a little more than a Cub, go Tri-Pacer.
Ron

The J-3 definitely has an old-school rustic appeal to it, but geez the price they're going for these days is ridiculous for the utility you get. Compare that to the fact that you can get a well-equipped (possibly IFR if desired) 152 for <$40,000. Pilot/pax size will be a factor in either aircraft. I'm 6'7" and very slim and I didn't get "in" the 152, I wore it! I have flown a 1947 PA-11 (VERY similar to J-3) and it had a little more leg room than the 152 simply because of the tandem seating but still wasn't one I would want to fly for any extended period of time.

As mentioned earlier, I would recommend flying both and then choosing. (and be sure to ask if you can tag along for the test ride ;) )

-Chris

IFR 152 should be closer to 20,000. J3 still has perks, its tailwheel, if you are into that, and it qualifies for light sport, if you are into that.

If money was no option, id get the J3. Slow is Slow when you look at the speed factor, but the J3 kicks pants in the fun factor.

get a champ, more comfortable than the cub and half the price

J3...but in the end Ron is right, he needs to get in both and see what he prefers.

Does he want side-by-side seating or front/back? Tailwheel insurance, from what I hear, is a bit pricey, so that may be a factor as well.

Based on what you said in your first I have to say if $$$ are the issue Cessna if fun and coolness are the drivers J3 or the like. BTW you can deck out the J3 clones in some nice panels. Especially the supercub clones.

If your friend buys a J3 is he going to bring a buddy along to help him hand prop it?

No need from what I have seen of the half-a-dozen or so J3 pilots I have seen. They prop from behind the prop near the door and the gas lever.

Also, Ron is right, the #1 question is WHAT will he do with it. My wife eventually wants a low-and-slow, 50nm-max, "fun" plane for breakfast/lunches, local fly-ins, etc. She has ridden in J3's a bunch and LOVES them, especially in the summer with the door/window open.

No need from what I have seen of the half-a-dozen or so J3 pilots I have seen. They prop from behind the prop near the door and the gas lever.
I've seen that done, too, but I think there are safer ways to solo handprop a plane. The safest ones I've seen involve chocks with a long rope so you can pull them from the cockpit and/or a long tail tiedown rope with a slipknot you can pull from the cockpit. IMO, solo handpropping an unsecured airplane isn't the wisest way to do it -- one slip, and your plane becomes a UAV.

Personally I would get the Cub, or take a long, hard look at some other good 'ol classic taildraggers. A Champ or a Taylorcraft would be great, they are tons of fun to fly & faster than a J3. An L2 Taylorcraft is probably what I would end up doing, you can get a nice one for less than $30k. A Champ or Taylorcraft with at least a C-90 would be even better. I've flown a Champ with a 150hp O-320, that thing was about like flying a Super Cub. Awesome short field performance, and flying at gross on a 100*F day won't make you nervous at all.

How about a Cessna 150/152 Aerobat? Still a 150, but you can do aerobatics (sort of) in the thing.

Of course, you can do the same with the Citabria.

Back