J3 Cub C-65 TBO

Maxed-out

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maxed-out
Anybody know what the TBO is for a C65 engine on a 1946 J3 Cub? I'm seeing 1400 hours, but not sure that's accurate. Also, any idea what the average cost to overhaul or replace the C65 would be? I'm thinking about purchasing a J3 that is for sale and trying to put all the numbers together before making an offer. This C65 has about 1000 hours SMOH.

Thanks in advance!

Anybody know what the TBO is for a C65 engine on a 1946 J3 Cub? I'm seeing 1400 hours, but not sure that's accurate. Also, any idea what the average cost to overhaul or replace the C65 would be? I'm thinking about purchasing a J3 that is for sale and trying to put all the numbers together before making an offer. This C65 has about 1000 hours SMOH.

Thanks in advance!

If the engine is healthy why are you overhauling it before (or even at) TBO?

If you want to budget for overhaul prices check these guys out

http://www.hotwaircraft.com/site/92...otwaircraft.com/NO_SURPRISE_PRICING.html#3035

I'd imagine 15k or so, also look around or engines for sale, might be able to get a deal or maybe some type of upgrade.

First, it is an A-65, not a C-65. C series began with C-75. A series were A-40, A-50, A-65, A-75 and A-80. A-65s are getting harder to find cylinders for since Superior quit making them. That matters as top end will need work longer than lower end in small Continentals. I have a C-85-12 in my Cub which was converted from C-75. It has 1000 SMOH and is fine on lower end. It has had all cylinders replaced or overhauled. I have no plans for overhaul at this time. I did see an A-65 with SMOH for $5000 recently with no accessories. Seemed like quite a deal if as represented. Demand for A-65s is down as more folks want C series engines with more ponies. Most C-85s are being overhauled with O-200 cranks and cams because C-85 cams are drying up and getting expensive whereas O-200 parts are still plentiful.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

If I bought this airplane today, I'm just wondering how many estimated hours I would have left on an engine of this type before an overhaul would be necessary. Don't really know how healthy the engine is at this point. Need to talk with the owner in depth and if serious, set up a pre-buy. So far, he has said all the usual things a seller would say: always kept in a hangar, runs like a dream, flys the airplane often, etc. etc. If he is being truthful, no reason to believe I can't get alot more time on the engine before overhaul. Anyway, thanks for the info.

First, it is an A-65, not a C-65. C series began with C-75. A series were A-40, A-50, A-65, A-75 and A-80. A-65s are getting harder to find cylinders for since Superior quit making them. That matters as top end will need work longer than lower end in small Continentals. I have a C-85-12 in my Cub which was converted from C-75. It has 1000 SMOH and is fine on lower end. It has had all cylinders replaced or overhauled. I have no plans for overhaul at this time. I did see an A-65 with SMOH for $5000 recently with no accessories. Seemed like quite a deal if as represented. Demand for A-65s is down as more folks want C series engines with more ponies. Most C-85s are being overhauled with O-200 cranks and cams because C-85 cams are drying up and getting expensive whereas O-200 parts are still plentiful.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

That's funny I just bought 4 brand new ECI nickel cylinders for the C-90. From Aircraft Specialities little over 900 each.

and they have cylinders for the 65 thru 0200

If I bought this airplane today, I'm just wondering how many estimated hours I would have left on an engine of this type before an overhaul would be necessary. Don't really know how healthy the engine is at this point. Need to talk with the owner in depth and if serious, set up a pre-buy. So far, he has said all the usual things a seller would say: always kept in a hangar, runs like a dream, flys the airplane often, etc. etc. If he is being truthful, no reason to believe I can't get alot more time on the engine before overhaul. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Do not allow this engine fail, simply because the cranks and cams have been reground many times. and you may not find a replacement.
In these engines we IRAN not overhaul. Tear it down repair/replace what is needed. You allow it to fail you may destroy many parts that would be reused during IRAN.

Depends on the prebuy and reading the logs and flying it against the book number.

Could have thousands of hours left.

Back