J.D. Power 2014 Airline Rankings

I am happy Frontier charges for carry-ons. People abuse it by bringing way too much crap with them. The passengers brought it on themselves. I fly them quite a bit and they are a great airline.

I am happy Frontier charges for carry-ons. People abuse it by bringing way too much crap with them. The passengers brought it on themselves. I fly them quite a bit and they are a great airline.

Of course passengers were much more likely to check their crap before airlines started nickel and diming them for that.

People only 'abuse' carryon rules because airlines started charging to check baggage.

Originally, carryons were just that. For light traveling I used to avoid checking to save the delays of waiting for my luggage after the flight, but most of the time we'd check our luggage. Now, it's the other way around and people only check if they have to and do everything they can to avoid the fee. It's kind of hard to blame passengers too much for cramming as much as they can into their carryons, which makes loading and deplaning take longer and less pleasant.

I think most of the airlines would be broke if they didn't nickel and dime.

People only 'abuse' carryon rules because airlines started charging to check baggage.

Originally, carryons were just that. For light traveling I used to avoid checking to save the delays of waiting for my luggage after the flight, but most of the time we'd check our luggage. Now, it's the other way around and people only check if they have to and do everything they can to avoid the fee. It's kind of hard to blame passengers too much for cramming as much as they can into their carryons, which makes loading and deplaning take longer and less pleasant.

I flew on mainline carriers long before they started charging for checked baggage, and in my opinion, carry-ons were always a problem. Before the itemized fees, the fear of lost or delayed checked baggage seemed to be the popular excuse, and not without some merit.

I don't think that most folks understand the concept of "light travel," and instead of the huge oversized duffle bags which I used to see as carry-ons in the "free checked bags" days, have switched to rollaboards which they then pack to the gills. Even laptop bags are about 3 times the size that they should be, and heaven forbid that anything goes under the seat. I go on 2 or 3 day business trips and put what I need into a carry-on that comfortably fits under my seat in coach (and I'm 6' 3"), but I only need one pair of shoes, and I'm willing to iron at the destination. If I have to check a bag, I take one day's with of clothes in the carry-on and check the rest.

JKG

Frontier charges for checked bags, too. Charging for both checked and carry-on is simply a fare increase.

I think most of the airlines would be broke if they didn't nickel and dime.

Actually, it would mean they would have to advertise the actual cost of the trip vs a lower fare + the add ons. ;) When I have to fly commercial, 2-3 times per year it's on business and I fly business class, watching what people bring onto a plane is scary!:eek: Two bags that they can barely carry, much less fit under a seat, they can barely lift them into the overhead bins, that are always full.:mad2:
I see that the airlines have some costs associated with checked bags, but it's probably less than a $1.00 per bag, so bag fees ticket change fees, seat assignment fees etc are the airline version of us car dealer's doc fees. ;) If the public didn't buy it that way, they wouldn't sell it that way. :D

Yep, Alaska has always been great (also operates Boeings)
I've also had really good experiences with Virgin.

Back