I've got no comment on this one

One of my favorite NTSB reports was a pilot who filed that he had 7:15 minutes of fuel aboard or something and 7:30 into the flight he ran out of fuel. Alas, he wasn't quite at the airport at the time. I gave him points for nailing the fuel burn though.

The Troopers said the plane appears to have ‘minimal damage’ after landing in the soybean field? Upon closer inspection, I’d kinda think some of the leading edges are buggered up.

Glad they made it. Not to many good excuses likely available.

About the time I started my PP training there was a news report of a plane that ran out of fuel and landed on a road not too far from me. The accident report was pretty thorough on the fueling history and fuel burn calculations. Doing the math, it turned out that forgetting to lean meant the fuel would have run out exactly where it did. That was a good lesson for me.

About the time I started my PP training there was a news report of a plane that ran out of fuel and landed on a road not too far from me. The accident report was pretty thorough on the fueling history and fuel burn calculations. Doing the math, it turned out that forgetting to lean meant the fuel would have run out exactly where it did. That was a good lesson for me.

An Archer should be able to make the reportedly 3-hour flight with reserves to spare. But not without leaning. An Archer II is a slow plane with a big engine and small fuel tanks, which means there is little margin for error on longer flights; any flaw in engine operation technique or flight planning (e.g. wind and groundspeed) is flirting with disaster. I've seen and heard that puppy mill flight schools don't lean, like, ever. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
An Archer should be able to make the reportedly 3-hour flight with reserves to spare. But not without leaning. An Archer II is a slow plane with a big engine and small fuel tanks, which means there is little margin for error on longer flights; any flaw in engine operation technique or flight planning (e.g. wind and groundspeed) is flirting with disaster. I've seen and heard that puppy mill flight schools don't lean, like, ever. Ridiculous.
One problem with some types of flight training is it’s all up and down and very little cruise. Without doing a cruise checklist regularly it’s easy to forget there’s something other than rich for takeoff and rich for descent (of course, adjusting for elevation).

never understood why carb'd airplanes always cheaped out on a dumb fuel flow indicator. They got a fuel pressure gauge already so it's a matter of just tapping a calibrated gauge to the existing line, makes no sense.

As to this young woman, she'll be your FO anyways here soon enough. :oops: /hottake

Back