I've got a couple extra letters...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
Passed my IR checkride this afternoon! Oh does that feel good!!!

Garmin GNS 430 really takes a lot of work out of the process, but you still have to fly the plane. Now to use the system when I go places.

Finally!!!

I get to be the first to congratulate you!!!!

Well DONE. That rating will be useful to you out there, at least until it gets cold.

Awesome! I knocked out two more hours towards my Instrument rating this morning..can't wait to join your ranks.

Wild envy over here.
Congratulations!

Congrats!

How was your IR training? I heard its pretty involved and takes awhile.
How long did it take you to complete? Any recommendations for others thinking about getting their IR rating?

Thanks.

Congrats. How bout a write up or at least a short description of the flight portion?

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen.

Whoo-hoo! You're joining the majority!

I was surprised to learn, from that FAA certificate stats page posted in another thread, that more than HALF of active private pilots (leaving out sport & student) have their instrument ratings!

Nicely done.

Remember that, moreso than the private, the instrument rating demands proficiency in both being in the system and also instrument flying skills. Make sure to go out and practice both as you develop your personal minimums. Enjoy! It's the best rating I've gotten by far.

Whoo-hoo! You're joining the majority!

I was surprised to learn, from that FAA certificate stats page posted in another thread, that more than HALF of active private pilots (leaving out sport & student) have their instrument ratings!
But, according to a survey done by AOPA 10 years ago, fewer than a third of those with instrument ratings are actually instrument current, and thus legal to file.

I wasted no time in exercising the new tool. Filed and flew IFR from OLM to PUW after work today. Now, it was VMC the whole way, but it was a most interesting flight. Filed victor airways but was offered direct to Pasco before getting to YKM. Headed off to Pasco and before I got there was given vectors direct to PUW (over an hour away). Hey, what the heck. My wife noticed when I was told to turn 8 degrees to the right for final vectors to the airport. 8 degrees? Yup. Had to interpolate a bit on the DG, but it worked. :D

When people tell you that going for your IR will make you a better pilot, believe them. PTS is to hold headings within 10 degrees. I was shooting for 1 degree and had that most of the time. Now, flight aware tells me that there was a disagreement between my transponder and the altimeter settings I was given. 11,100 MSL? No way. Within 10 feet of 11,000 MSL on the altimeter for the vast majority of the flight. Am I getting picky? Darned right. :D The flight today was great fun. Not sure my wife understood the joy I was getting out of working the system.

Oh, and thanks to the Southwest pilot who relayed my call to SEA center when I was on the ground at PUW. SEA knew I was calling but couldn't make out the message. SW relayed for me. We belong to a great fraternity.

File and use it every chance you get. Using the system regularly will keep you on top of your game. Also, find another IR pilot and ride shotgun for each other doing practice approaches and holds. You absorb more than you realize watching the procedures being flown. You'll both be better pilots and will stay current.

Back