I've determined that its a scam, Scott (and everyone else that replied)

Try a business trip to Ambridge, PA. As Borat would say, "Not so nice."

I used to like getting home from SF at 12:30am on Saturday, then heading back out Monday morning at 6am. That was fun. Of course, then I had to hop on a flight to Bakersfield. Yee hah! But seriously, the buffet at the Red Roof Inn, oh, lordy, the whole town would turn out!!

My business travel wasn't that bad, particularly since the details were often left to me. I'd pick flights based on aircraft I wanted to fly in and airports I wanted to visit. Flew a brand-spanking new 777 that way from DEN to IAD, and a fresh-to-the-airline CRJ100. Still the hours were always long, and the food fattening, the booze non-expenseable....

Actually Ambien with Single Malt is pretty good!

I usually use Extra Strength Tylenol with Single Malt, but then again, we can't all be me.

~ Christopher

WOW! The way y'all talk about business trips, I gotta say, I love my job!

The hotel prices are much cheaper when you are doing meetings and conventions there. I had a super deluxe room in Ceaser's Palace for under $200/night one year. Those of us who have had to do work in Vegas not what a PIA it can be. During tradeshows it is a very busy time.

But the place I hate the most for business travel is Hawaii. Too many tourists, the hotels are not set up for business, hard to find a quick place to grab a bit and almost immposible to get upgrades to first class. Even if oyu get upgraded 1st to Hawaii sucks. It is filled with people who pay for 1st and think it is the bees knees, but the airlines hardly even treat the first class pax to Hawaii as well as they do say LAX to ORD.

Plus when you are in Hawaii everyone thinks you are at the beach. The fact of the matter is most of the time you are stuck in a conference room, freezing your butt off form the AC being far to high!

Amazingly enough I've never been to Lost Wages, other than to drive through it, or change planes at the airport (which is a pit, and DON'T change from America Worst to Alaska - you won't make it).

The IEEE International Symposium on EMC was in Honolulu last summer. Great convention center. Host hotel was the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I was the registration chair, as well as being on the Society's board of directors. Was that a vacation? I wouldn't know. I was running the whole time. The following week was a vacation.

Oh, and I flew coach (employer paid ticket) while my wife sat in F on my Alaska miles. She enjoyed the flights. :D

Not really traveling. But I did a three week training, week home, back for two more. A bunch of nice guy's turn into real boring company that last week end away.
Re: that bunch of guys....

You find out things you wished you never, ever knew.

It gets bad when the travel is at 25% and above. Spending a week a month away from home even if it a nice location gets old after 6mo. What's really bad is when the hotel staff and the local business know you better then the ones back at home.

There is definitely a hotel in one place I have frequently traveled where the staff remembers not only me, but my dog.

25% travel gets old. I think the couple times a year still keeps it exciting, provided you still aren't gone for more than a week. If you're gone for a longer duration, then eventually you start to miss home and plus if you're like me, you have persnoal things going on that you want to work on.

In my case, when I go on business trips, I miss my puppy. :(

The times I've been to Hawai'i on business involved visting facilities in the field, away from the beach. Much, much different place. F-pax get shafted because there are so many award and upgrade folks on the flights, as opposed to NY/DC/ORD - LA/SFO business runs where the corporate customers pay for F seats. The number 1 award destination for FF miles has been Hawai'i (sent my parents there a few years ago as my dad served on BB-63 during the war... it's stored at Honolulu).

This is precisely the reason I hated flying Aer Lingus during School Vacation weeks. I made that mistake once and will forever regret it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

This is precisely the reason I hated flying Aer Lingus during School Vacation weeks. I made that mistake once and will forever regret it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Did a Delta flight from NYC to Nice, FR and the plane was full of French school kids coming back from a school trip and me. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Try a business trip to Ambridge, PA. As Borat would say, "Not so nice."

I used to like getting home from SF at 12:30am on Saturday, then heading back out Monday morning at 6am. That was fun. Of course, then I had to hop on a flight to Bakersfield. Yee hah! But seriously, the buffet at the Red Roof Inn, oh, lordy, the whole town would turn out!!

My business travel wasn't that bad, particularly since the details were often left to me. I'd pick flights based on aircraft I wanted to fly in and airports I wanted to visit. Flew a brand-spanking new 777 that way from DEN to IAD, and a fresh-to-the-airline CRJ100. Still the hours were always long, and the food fattening, the booze non-expenseable....

LOL! Reminds me of Anthony's "location" tagline :rofl:

My last translatlantic trip had me in Windsor, UK (about 5 miles from LHR); my next one has me going to a production facility in Wuxi, China, and when in the states, I visit the beautiful locales of Silsbee, TX; Alabama and rural Virginia... the hotels are always top notch, the servers at Chilis fresh from Paris, and the local spirits just delectable.

Thankfully, I can expense booze.

Cheers,

-Andrew
really, I don't drink that much, don't get any ideas...

Did a Delta flight from NYC to Nice, FR and the plane was full of French school kids coming back from a school trip and me. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I love that NCE flight, especially around Thanksgiving time. Typically easy to upgrade, the airport (at NCE) is very quiet, convenient in-and-out, and the FA's have been very good.

It sure beats the flight I was on from CDG to ATL one time where the girl across the aisle (in Business, no less) had a *very* unhappy (and undrugged) carry-on cat. You think screaming kids are bad? Try a yowling cat for 10 hours.
:hairraise::lightning::hairraise:
the local spirits just delectable.

Tried the 'shine, have you?;)

really, I don't drink that much, don't get any ideas...

It's not the quantity, it's the quality ;);)

Tried the 'shine, have you?;)

I plead the 5th. But, when the site leader says "You still comin'? I'll run the still!", you know this isn't steakhouse and Bordeaux business...

It's not the quantity, it's the quality ;);)

Mmmm hmmm. I'm going to have to tanker up before my leg into Malaysia this summer!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Cheers,

-Andrew

You get some Spring Breaker pregnant introducing her to the Mile High Club or something?

You get some Spring Breaker pregnant introducing her to the Mile High Club or something?

Oh my god, almost puked from laughter.

My mother (who has quite a number of years on me) always complains when they don't have Champgne in first class.

Me: As I'm over 6", I'm just happy to get the upgrade.

~ Christopher

I'm happy for you! I read somewhere that 6" is average and size doesn't matter, but it's nice to have anyway! :rofl:

Grant:

You the man!

That's what I always tell the computer when it takes what I type literally. Doesn't work there, either!:no:

What's really scary is when the typing fingers type something coherent, but completely different from the words you have in mind. :hairraise:

Stop it! Stop it! I KNOW! I said that already! :eek:

Or when the typing fingers type one of those fraudian slips.

I mean . . . people in glass houses . . . sink ships . . . ****.

~ Christopher

Back