I've decided...

Papa Steingar liked his vodka martini's. I assume it was from all the smoking, I find them utterly vile. A dry dirty gin martini, on the other hand, is always a welcome sight in the Steinholme. I won't bother to tell you my favorite gin or bourbon, you can't purchase them anyway. I can't afford the whiskey's or the scotch I really like.

The brandy is used for cooking, as is the cheap vile nasty whiskey I always have around (although whatever it is, it either mixes with coke or ginger ale).

Brussels sprouts: Lightly boil in chicken broth, drain. Into the skillet, brown in (real) bacon bits and bacon grease, add golden raisins. Yum!

I absolutely detested those things when I was young. Still not among my favorites but every once in a while.............

Michigan in 2017: Micro-breweries are sprouting on every corner faster than gas stations did in the sixties. So many beers; so little time. In South Dakota in 2009 I got hooked on Moose Drool. It's finally available in Michigan but bring your checkbook, AMEX, VISA, or whichever card isn't maxed out.

Michigan in 2017: Micro-breweries are sprouting on every corner faster than gas stations did in the sixties. So many beers; so little time. In South Dakota in 2009 I got hooked on Moose Drool. It's finally available in Michigan but bring your checkbook, AMEX, VISA, or whichever card isn't maxed out.

We have a Total Wine down here (don't let the name fool you, they have lots of other stuff). Can get micros from all over, I'll need to check on the Moose Drool thingy. One beer that my wife really loved when we were up in the Halifax / Nova Scotia area was Alexander Keiths..it just ain't around here. She loved IPA's and I can't stand em.

What have you guys got in the back of your liquor cabinet that you only bring out for special occasions?

<---- 15 year Pappy Van Winkle
$300 dollar bottle of macallan 18 year old scotch my Girlfriend got me when I got my commercial. We had some on both of our birthdays, and other than that it's untouched.

Bourbon - everyday, Woodford Reserve, favorite - Pappy Van Winkle
Scotch - everyday, Glenmorange or Jura 10 year, favorite - Dalwhinnie
Vodka - Stoli or Absolute mixed with either orange juice or spicy bloody mary
Gin - tastes like turpentine smells, no thanks
Irish whiskey - Why? scotch and American bourbon are much better.
Beer - free and ice cold but no IPA

Bourbon: Boring, they're all too similar
Scotch: Glenmorange, Lagavulin (depends if I want the peat)
Vodka: Reyka (filtered through lava rocks with a different flavor than most vodkas)
Gin: Barr Hill (it's good enough to sip neat)

Bourbon - everyday, Woodford Reserve, favorite - Pappy Van Winkle
Scotch - everyday, Glenmorange or Jura 10 year, favorite - Dalwhinnie
Vodka - Stoli or Absolute mixed with either orange juice or spicy bloody mary
Gin - tastes like turpentine smells, no thanks
Irish whiskey - Why? scotch and American bourbon are much better.
Beer - free and ice cold but no IPA
I love dalwhinnie. It's my every day scotch. A brother from another mother introduced me to dalwhinnie. His sister in law owns the local liquor store. He's pretty much the only guy in town that buys it so it's on the self at the family price. I always stock up when I visit. Normally somewhere in the 30's for a 750. It's over 60 at home :-(

Laphroig - dirty sulfur based grease and burning electronics with essence of Goodyear. I used to hate the stuff, now my palate has changed and I like it. Can't find any other peaty scotch I like better.

I used to hate coleslaw (love it) and mac & cheese (like it), too. Slow growing brain tumor I think.

A fine cole slaw is an acquired taste.

I like peaty scotches, but decent ones tend to be priced well over what I'm willing to spend on a regular basis. These days I don't really care that much. Jamison, Bushmills, whatever, they are fine. I was playing around with upscale rye whiskeys for a while, now I'm toying with vodkas.

I've never liked vodka, other than as an admixture to a foo foo mixed drink where you can't taste it, but my investment guy bought me in to a local vodka startup distiller, and they sent me a free bottle. A few, actually. I tried it, and it wasn't bad!

Well I didn't think it would happen but I've found another scotch that rivals Dalwhinnie and dare I say, may even be better.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year

Instead of bourbon barrels, they age it in rum barrels. Kind of pricey but gooooooood.

What have you guys got in the back of your liquor cabinet that you only bring out for special occasions?

<---- 15 year Pappy Van Winkle

A bottle of white-label Del Maguey unobtainium, in a clear bottle before they went to green bottles.

I'm a big fan of Macallan, but my current go-to liquor has been Bulleit Rye as of late.

My favorite beer is Rogue Dead Guy Ale and my second favorite is good old Vitamin R.

I can't afford fancy glass ware. I have to shake it in an empty jelly jar....

And wouldn't the spoon beat the gin..???

The problem with the James Bond Martini:

Except that Bond (in the movies) orders vodka martinis, so no gin. The problem with shaking is that it bruises the gin, no problem with shaking vodka. I prefer my actual martinis stirred, but if you do it correctly, you still get ice melting and some water (but not shards) mixed in.

One Bourbon,
One Scotch,
One beer.

How does one bruise a pine tree? ;)
You need a bit of schooling. The term "bruising", when referring to cocktails, is when you make the cocktail opaque when you didn't want to. When the martini hits the glass its supposed to be clear, with the exception of a garnish (best garnish I've ever found is pickled vegetables). If it comes out cloudy it doesn't look right. Opaque cocktails are often serve din a lowball glass, though not always.

You need a bit of schooling. The term "bruising", when referring to cocktails, is when you make the cocktail opaque when you didn't want to. When the martini hits the glass its supposed to be clear, with the exception of a garnish (best garnish I've ever found is pickled vegetables). If it comes out cloudy it doesn't look right. Opaque cocktails are often serve din a lowball glass, though not always.
I once ordered a martini stirred at a bar. Instead, the bartender shook the ever-loving **** out of it, right in front of me. When he poured it into the glass, it was so aerated and had so much ice in it, it looked like a slurpy. He seemed rather proud that he'd shaken it long and hard enough to make slush.

Last edited:
I've always heard of bruising as causing the top notes to be lost... but I'm not buying it.

I've always heard of bruising as causing the top notes to be lost... but I'm not buying it.
It's easy to demonstrate. Get some light butt flavorful gin. Swirl some in a shaker with ice, and then shake some. You'll likely taste a difference. I've heard many explanations for why it is, and I don't know the reason, but there's a difference. One plausible theory is that shaking just makes the gin colder.

It's easy to demonstrate. Get some light butt flavorful gin. Swirl some in a shaker with ice, and then shake some. You'll likely taste a difference. I've heard many explanations for why it is, and I don't know the reason, but there's a difference. One plausible theory is that shaking just makes the gin colder.
Right, but the top notes are the sweeter notes. What I don't find is that it gets more bitter or anything like that. I buy that it temporarily changes the flavor -- not that it's stripping or permanently altering the flavor (like breathing).

Except that Bond (in the movies) orders vodka martinis, so no gin. The problem with shaking is that it bruises the gin, no problem with shaking vodka. I prefer my actual martinis stirred, but if you do it correctly, you still get ice melting and some water (but not shards) mixed in.

The movies got it wrong. Original Bond drinks his own version of a Martini, then he names it "Vesper". And yes, it was shaked. "Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel"

In order, best at top (beers):
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Lil Sumpin
Saint Archer White Ale
Einstok
Ballast Point California Kolsch
But really any beer...

For wine I find that the Apothic Reds or all really good... And if we're going to go to the hard stuff that I'll take a Don Julio or a Lagavulin. Neat

I went to a beer event, and the lagunitas rep mixed lil sumpin with hop stoopid.. called it lil sumpin stoopid... was DAMN good. I also like their brown shugga

I knew. I was just giving gin drinks a hard time. It's pretty much like drinking a pine tree whether you can see through it or not. Not that I mind drinking the occasional pine tree.

Good gin shouldn't taste piney.
Hendrick's is a nice one, flavored with...cucumber.

Make a Martini, stirred, and just show the bottle of vermouth to the thing.

Ok...here's mine:

Cheap Beer? Coors Light
Scotch? Glenmorangie / Aberlour / Glenfidditch
Gin? No thanks.
Bourbon? Maker's Mark (yeah this is OK), Woodford Reserve is the other one I get
Tequila? No thanks.
Vodka? No thanks.

beer an coors light should NEVER be used in the same sentence, unless you are discussing what beer to use as a degreaser.....
life is to short to drink cheap beer!
bob

beer an coors light should NEVER be used in the same sentence, unless you are discussing what beer to use as a degreaser.....
life is to short to drink cheap beer!
bob

True..but I've sorta gotten used to it. And, when you can get a pint for $1 it saves a little on the wallet.

My parents drank it and I hated it when I started but compared to paying twice that or more for the good stuff, it works as a cheap after work beer.

Good gin shouldn't taste piney.
Hendrick's is a nice one, flavored with...cucumber.

Make a Martini, stirred, and just show the bottle of vermouth to the thing.

Hendricks is nice, so is Boodles.

But without any vermouth, its not a Martini. ;)

Back