I've been scammed

I was scammed when I sold some avionics a few years ago. When the "Secretary cut the money order for more money" email arrived, I told them to stuff it. They still sent a phony money order. My bank (US Bank) sells the same brand money order. The bank manager could not tell it from a real money order. I had hoped for the bank getting into action since they were a dealer for the money order. It went nowhere though.
Paul
Salome, AZ

It's dangerous for you even taking the bogus check into the bank:
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Check-from-a-scammer-bounces-victim-into-jail-2553957.php

Now you might get shot...or they'll shot your dog.

Someone tried to scam me. Even sent a picture of himself. Took me only few minutes to crack his scam. Picture was off Google Images. Since I use gmail, I cannot see originating IP so I wrote a tiny PHP script that will log an IP of anyone clicking on a link. Sent a link to the guy so he can "prove his intention" and traced the IP back to Lagos, Nigeria.

Gave him all facts, he offered me to work for him! Told me it will be about 2-3k a week. LOL

I wish I would get that scam email as OP did. Sometimes I like to screw with people. And those fake checks are great.

I'm sorry but this type of scan has been going on since early 2000s. eBay, Craigslist, online forums etc...you list something for sale, it's almost a certainly that one of these scammers will contact you. Most of these scams originates from Nigeria and the Caribbean's.

Since it appears to be a cashiers check the banks trust it. They give you the money and then a few weeks later, the check comes back, usually from a bank abroad somewhere, marked NSF. And according to the banking laws, you are on the hook. :redface: :hairraise::mad2: Yes, you pay for the bank's errors.

It is an old scam but if you haven't seen it before.... :yikes:

-Skip

Actually the banks have little choice:

http://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/consumer-advisories/2007/consumer-advisory-2007-1.html

When you deposit a check into your account, your bank generally is required by law to make the funds available within a specific period of time (usually, one business day for a cashier’s check or other official instrument). This is true even if the check has not yet cleared through the banking system. Therefore, even if the funds have been made available in your account, you cannot be certain that the check has cleared or is "good."

Too much time on her hands, but it was funny! :yes:

Actually it was a game between a few guys to try and scam the scammers They even had an interview on Dateline where they had played another scammer.

Oh! They're pilots too...!

Back